Josh's City Goblin - 10 XFE Donor

jirwin

Goblin Guru
@Traé yes is does function. I will keep that in mind, thank you.

Started a different thread for the truck: https://dfkitcar.com/forum/index.php?threads/tow-rig-2003-silverado-1500hd-quadrasteer.4989/

Ok! Back on topic! I've made a little progress on the heat exchanger side pods in between other projects.

The sidepod itself I have very crudely mocked up in CAD, and have cut it out on my CNC. Obviously it doesn't have full walls in the picture, this was just testing the top and bottom fitment. I need to update a few dimensions, make it out of 1" foam board, reinforce it a bit, then lay fiberglass. Slowly but surely making progress!

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
Will you be adding a fan to the heat exchanger? There is plenty of room inside the side pod from your mockup. Maybe a small fan (6 inch) over 1/2 of the face, leaving the other 1/2 exposed for natural airflow while moving - that way you can still get some cooling when stopped or moving in slow traffic?

jirwin

Goblin Guru
Yep, thats exactly the plan. I have 7" fans that will go in there. They'roughly 2.5" thick, so there's plenty of room to feed them air. Plus it will guard the fins a bit

jirwin

Goblin Guru
V2. I think I'm just going to fiberglass this one just to work out the kinks in the process. I've never fiberglassed anything before so I'm bound to mess something up and learn. Will probably have to wait until this weekend as I know I want ventilation and its currently 27F outside.

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
Caution- use epoxy resin when fiberglass on foam. The 'bondo' polyester resin will eat the foam if it is not coated first - latex paint could be used as a coating. The epoxy resin is typically available from boating or aircraft suppliers.

jirwin

Goblin Guru
Got the sidepod moulds assembled. CNC worked with a few minor hiccups. I think the moulds turned out great. The actual glassing I underestimated. I need way more resin and patience. Living right by the Bay, theres a lot of local fiberglass places for boats. I'm going to just see what they would charge to glass my moulds tomorrow. If its too much, I'll buy more resin and finish the fight.

signal-2024-04-27-19-57-28-461-1.jpg

signal-2024-04-27-19-25-16-519-1.jpg

signal-2024-04-27-20-33-38-352.jpg

signal-2024-04-27-20-45-14-950-1.jpg