Front Wing...

rallyracer

If we ever get to the point of needing some front aero, which I believe the SS variants could benefit from, the car may need a way for a bracket it be mounted high and low.

I happened to run across a way that the atom is mounting there setup.

The green frame has the front loop coming around still, the blue does not. That loop may be a nice area to help tie in an upper arm of a bracket too. Just an idea.

More info
http://www.skunkwurx.co/blog/how-to-install-a-front-wing-on-the-ariel-atom/

Last edited:

rallyracer

The price of the front wings for the Atom range from $776 - $1574, through that site.

I'm not sure if there are front wing options that are reliable, light weight, functional and less expensive, that could be used for the DF kit.

rallyracer

That's a bit pricey considering our racer is supposed to be affordable.
Well those were just showing what the cost is for Atom front wings.

Maybe DF could produce something inhouse out of aluminum or something at a more affordable price... possibly a simple design like this\/ a shop made to save money. Making a mounting bracket would still be needed on the DF kit though.

Last edited:

Justinreed7

I like anything that goes fast
Im also curious about a front aero kit, I'll have to have some type of front downforce as I'm gonna put 500hp to the wheels

SinisterSF

I just want one to balance out the look of the car. I'm not racing competitively, this is just a cool toy.... key word, COOL:cool:

I'm in Special Forces and I always say "The first rule of Special Forces.... look cool".

rallyracer

I just want one to balance out the look of the car. I'm not racing competitively, this is just a cool toy.... key word, COOL:cool:

I'm in Special Forces and I always say "The first rule of Special Forces.... look cool".
I agreed! :D

I'd also like decent control at higher speeds B)

rallyracer

Another possible idea for some front downforce and to help direct some cool air.

Saw these on the TR-42's.

Balphamore

Curious instead of a front spoiler. Has anyone thought about a simple canard? To try giving the front end some down force?

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
Resurrecting this thread.

I know several builders have been occasionally asking about adding downforce to the front of the Goblin and many options have been put forth. Has anyone added any downforce enhancements to their car they could share with the forum?

I for one, would like to see what others may have thought about in the last 18 months since the last posting here. I have trolled around to see what is out there, and there are many options from cheap stick on pieces that make your car look race ready but may not doo much to put downforce on your car at anything under 100mph. There are also expensive wings - similar to F1 or drag racing top fuel cars - that could be bolted on, but not sure if they would interfere with the front tires while turning.

What is needed is something that will be effective at highway speeds (60-80mph) that will apply some downforce to help stabilize the front of the car so it can loose that light feeling. It needs to be durable (not plastic or cheap fiberglass) and not be overly expensive - and replaceable if you tangle with something unexpected.

Being an aerospace engineer, the device must capture and hold air to create a high pressure on top while creating a low pressure under the device - and maybe pull some air out from under the front of the car as a bonus. I found these on eBay and this is kinda the idea I was looking at, but it needs to be angled and maybe one piece that can bolt up under the radiator to also help direct airflow out the sides of the front end, rather than down under the car.

If anyone else has ideas, please share. We can all use some downforce once in while.

George

Goblin Guru
Could mount a 9 Lives Racing wing on the front a little forward of the nose. My battle ready front sway bar mount will make a good base to mount to. Another idea is a sprint car style wing on top mounted a little forward. It would also add a little protection from the sun.

Brad

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
Brad, the wings would probably be a good thing for the track and provide adequate to excellent front downforce depending upon which wing is chosen and where it is mounted. Do you have any photos of examples of the wings you are proposing?

Don't take me the wrong way, this is a great idea and I would like to see how much downforce can be created for a full racing Goblin. I'm sure someone in the forum, using their car for the track, may be up to the task of trying this idea and measuring the actual force created. I'm not sure a big wing would be a good thing to mount on a street driven Goblin - or even legal in most states.

The purpose in resurrecting this thread is to find ideas for front downforce that are street legal and not cause safety or operating issues. Something like a forward canard that fits on the sides of the nose in front of the control arms and won't interfere with the front tires. Granted these would be size limited and not effective until highway speeds are achieved - but that is where the light feeling in the front occurs and where something like this would able to help alleviate this issue.

Thanks, Tim

Ross

Goblin Guru
I've wanted to try a front wing that lifts the air before the front tires, and is flat across the radiator entry... kind of like this wing:

Ross

Goblin Guru
Well that wing has a lot of extra little wings rather than one simple wing... so I was thinking simpler, but it has the basic shape. Here is a simpler version: