4x100 hubs on LNF

duthehustle93

Hello,

I’m putting together a parts list to build an LNF goblin that’s using an 08 SS donor… this is an incomplete project I’m finishing up (chassis #5). I would like to run a 4x100 lug pattern which isn’t listed in Adams post as an option for LNF builds. Is there any reason why I couldn’t do this? I was thinking:

Goblin front: run rear base model 4 lug (4x100 hubs)… I’m assuming these will bolt up to DF’s knuckles?

Goblin rear: run front 08-10 SS 5 lug hubs and redrill them to 4x100. It doesn’t seem like I’ll have any bolt on splined 4x100 hub options that will work with SS/TC axles. I’ve read that I can switch to SS/SC axles if I MUST go bolt-on, but this kit comes with new SS/TC axles that I’d like to use.

Thanks in advance,
Brandon

Last edited:

duthehustle93

Thanks for the reply. It’s going to be on a track about once a month with sticky tires, so adapters aren’t something I’m comfortable with running.

duthehustle93

It’s also worth mentioning this would be so I can share wheels with Miata’s. I have 5 sets of wheels/tires between 2 race car Miata’s so not having to add another set into the mix would be huge. I know 5x114 wheel selection is great but getting a 4x100 pattern on this goblin would be amazing.

KSLunsfo

Thanks for the reply. It’s going to be on a track about once a month with sticky tires, so adapters aren’t something I’m comfortable with running.
Just thinking out loud, but with the significantly reduced weight of the Goblin, I would think the hubs could take a considerably higher amount of "abuse" if I'm understanding your concerns about spacers...

duthehustle93

Just thinking out loud, but with the significantly reduced weight of the Goblin, I would think the hubs could take a considerably higher amount of "abuse" if I'm understanding your concerns about spacers...
True... but there's also the issue of my wheels already being a relatively aggressive offset, and when stacked with the thickness of an adapter would put my effective offset in the 0 or negative range. This will hurt scrub radius, damper leverage, and some other stuff that I'm not smart enough to understand but for a handful of reasons I'd like to avoid them.

I have access to a machine shop, so redrilling the hubs would only cost me time. Also, I feel like base 4x100 hubs *should* bolt onto the front, but I'm just assuming. I'm mainly just curious if my plan in the OP would work since it won't be hard to implement and I'd like to do it right the first time... I just don't have enough knowledge to know if it's doable on goblins.

Rauq

Goblin Guru
To run 4x100 hubs on the Goblin rear, you'll have to either redrill your hubs, or swap the hubs, knuckles, lower ball joints, and axles to non-LNF parts. The caliper adapter, if you've got one, may also be LNF-specific. That's one part I've never looked into much.

The 4x100 front hubs should bolt in just fine.

Last edited:

duthehustle93

Just what I needed to hear.. thank you!

For the rear/driven hubs... redrill it is! That definitely looks like the path of least resistance.

Thank you for confirmation on the fronts, that was the one I was more concerned about in terms of uncertainty.

duthehustle93

Since you're planning on running Miata wheels on your Goblin, this could come in handy depending on your wheel size: https://dfkitcar.com/forum/index.php?threads/fyi-10-brakes-work-on-the-front.2630/#post-60431
Thank you! That is helpful! They're all 15x8/15x9 w/ an offset between +20-36.

FWIW, the incomplete kit I'm purchasing is missing all the handbrake components, some of the brake stuff, and is all 5 lug (with a "partially complete" 5x114 conversion). I have an entire miata handbrake assembly/cables/etc, and boxes of rotors, pads, and calipers. It might be a horrible idea, but I was considering mocking up miata brakes once I convert to 4x100. This would hypothetically solve the bias issue, hand brake issue, rotor redrill issue, and the aftermarket pad selection is unmatched. They're also probably better matched to how light Goblins are. I'll try to post up once I get to that (might be next year) and most likely find out that it's an awful idea... but it never hurts to check.

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
This is what a Goblin is all about for a select few of us, trying something that no one has done and doing what we can to make it work. My vote, go for it and see if the Miata parts can be fitted/adapted to work for your special circumstances. It's your build, you do it the way you want - worst case is it doesn't work and the Cobalt parts are readily available. :D