Automatic transmission question/thought

Nimrod26

Has anyone with an automatic had any problems with their transmission like overheating seeing how it no longer has a transmission cooler? I have not had this problem, but when I was at a transmission repair shop on another matter, one of the technicians looked at my Goblin and said, “Are you really driving that without a cooler?” I told him sure I was driving it this way, to which he replied, “I wouldn’t drive it to hard.” I just thought I would ask and see if it was a problem with anyone.

Thanks!

Ark :D

Goblin Guru
I doubt it would be a problem. The engine and transmission are essentially in open air, tough to overheat like that, I'd say.

Last edited:

Joebob

Goblin Guru
After a 1 hour drive with my added supercharger, I have logged a peak 195 degrees with no cooler. As I am moving closer to summer temps, I am looking to add a small cooler to stay closer to the 170 degree range that we should see with a integral cooler in the radiator setup. This is still well below the hot trans protection steps the computer will make to protect itself, but from my logs, the temperature never drops with speed or idling...it always inches up till the end of the drive. If you stay 1 hour or less, you should not have any issues.

Joe

Anks329

Haven't had any issues with it. Been on drives up to 3 hours in the past and been completely fine with it. I do have a small transmission fluid drip that I need to find; seems to only pop up once I drive vs when it is parked in the garaged.

Gtstorey

Goblin Guru
The trans cooler thermostat that I have on my Camaro has a set value 180 degrees (and that is all I've ever seen them available at) so I wouldn't worry to much about 195.

Nimrod26

Thanks for your inputs on this. I don’t think I was overly concerned about it as I had read anything on the forum. My temperature pretty much stays on 185 degrees with a plus or minus os 2 degrees

Thanhs
Dave

MX184

I just towed a loaded trailer roughly 1000 miles in five days with no cooler on my auto goblin earlier this year.The trans temps stayed right around 175-180. Unless you're hot lapping a racetrack for extended periods of time I wouldn't be too worried about it.

Markm

Keep an eye on the trans temp over the summer and if it gets close to engine coolant temp I’d add a cooler