Can someone confirm this will work?

Josh's09

I am attempting to purchase wheels and tires for my goblin but the first hurdle is, I really don't know if these wheels I like will fit. Summit says they won't fit the "stock 09 SS Cobalt" but I am assuming because it isn't considering the change I made to 5x114.3.

The next thing I am wondering is, will this wheel be an issue for me if it has a "40mm offset"? I am not too familiar with wheels and tires to know if this will bite me in the ass when getting tires.

The last thing on the brain is, I REALLY like the look of a "fatter" tire (included picture below) but don't know how to verbalize that to someone who knows what I mean. I like the look where the tire is almost protruding the wheel a bit. Help would be greatly appreciated!

Attachments

Gtstorey

Goblin Guru
Have you priced good performance tires in a 16” size? I think they are probably more expensive than either 15 or 17.

Josh's09

Have you priced good performance tires in a 16” size? I think they are probably more expensive than either 15 or 17.
No, I figured I'd rather find the wheels I really like first then figure that out later.

Last edited:

Rauq

Goblin Guru
Agreed with the above, there's a better and cheaper selection of performance tires for 15 and 17" wheels.

The wheels you picked out should work just fine. I think stock offset is 42mm, also on a 7.5" wide wheel, so that wheel would sit 2mm further outboard than a stock SS/TC wheel, and Goblins are made to generally fit Cobalt wheel sizes. If you go significantly higher in offset, it pulls the wheel inboard and you can end up contacting the wheel and control arm.

From that picture I'm not sure if by "fat tire" you're referring to bigger sidewalls or stretch or poke. The thick sidewall is a function of taller tires and smaller diameter wheels. Stretch would be a narrow tire for the wheel width, like a 205(mm) wide tire on an 8" wide wheel, and poke would be the opposite, like a 245(mm) wide tire on a 7" wide wheel.

From the attached screenshot, that tire should be fine on that wheel. At the narrower side of the window, it shouldn't have much if any sidewall stretch. Stock Cobalt tires are about 25" tall, so your speedometer will read about 4.4% faster without adjusting. You're also giving up some sidewall thickness (for looks) by not running a taller tire.

Edit: got offset backwards

Attachments

Last edited:

Josh's09

Agreed with the above, there's a better and cheaper selection of performance tires for 15 and 17" wheels.

The wheels you picked out should work just fine. I think stock offset is 42mm, also on a 7.5" wide wheel, so that wheel would sit 2mm further outboard than a stock SS/TC wheel, and Goblins are made to generally fit Cobalt wheel sizes. If you go significantly lower in offset, it pulls the wheel inboard and you can end up contacting the wheel and control arm.

From that picture I'm not sure if by "fat tire" you're referring to bigger sidewalls or stretch or poke. The thick sidewall is a function of taller tires and smaller diameter wheels. Stretch would be a narrow tire for the wheel width, like a 205(mm) wide tire on an 8" wide wheel, and poke would be the opposite, like a 245(mm) wide tire on a 7" wide wheel.

From the attached screenshot, that tire should be fine on that wheel. At the narrower side of the window, it shouldn't have much if any sidewall stretch. Stock Cobalt tires are about 25" tall, so your speedometer will read about 4.4% faster without adjusting. You're also giving up some sidewall thickness (for looks) by not running a taller tire.
Perfect! Thank you very much for the response and the screenshot! That answered one of the big questions I had!

escapepilot

Goblin Guru
If I’m interpreting what you’re meaning by “fat”, then you’re asking for a tire that is wider than the wheel and makes the sidewall bulge some. If that is correct, the 225 you picked should give you some but wider would give more. For reference, I’m running a 245/45 17 on a 17x7.5 on the front.

snirtman

Here's a couple tools I found pretty helpful when trying to size tires.

The Tire Size Calculator is good for comparing tire size and width and seeing what the aspect ratio does to the size and width.

The Wheel Size Calculator is good for visualizing effects of rim width and offset changes.

@Gtstorey suggestion is still valid though - not all tires are available in all sizes. Probably best to pick a tire, then see if it comes in the size you want/need.

Also, TireRack.com will tell you what the recommended rim width is for any given tire, but you have to first choose a tire, then scroll down to the "Specs" tab. And be careful, not all manufacturers build their tires the same, so a 225 width tire from Toyo may plump over a 7 inch wide rim, where a 225 tire from Falken may look narrow on the same 7 inch rim.

Tire choice is one of the most discussed topics on the DF Forum. It has its own thread with lots of good info. Check it out if you haven't already.

G Atsma

Goblin Guru
If I’m interpreting what you’re meaning by “fat”, then you’re asking for a tire that is wider than the wheel and makes the sidewall bulge some. If that is correct, the 225 you picked should give you some but wider would give more. For reference, I’m running a 245/45 17 on a 17x7.5 on the front.
View attachment 41539
Nice! That is such a clean look, with the wheels looking RIGHT for the car, plus great color!

Josh's09

Here's a couple tools I found pretty helpful when trying to size tires.

The Tire Size Calculator is good for comparing tire size and width and seeing what the aspect ratio does to the size and width.

The Wheel Size Calculator is good for visualizing effects of rim width and offset changes.

@Gtstorey suggestion is still valid though - not all tires are available in all sizes. Probably best to pick a tire, then see if it comes in the size you want/need.

Also, TireRack.com will tell you what the recommended rim width is for any given tire, but you have to first choose a tire, then scroll down to the "Specs" tab. And be careful, not all manufacturers build their tires the same, so a 225 width tire from Toyo may plump over a 7 inch wide rim, where a 225 tire from Falken may look narrow on the same 7 inch rim.

Tire choice is one of the most discussed topics on the DF Forum. It has its own thread with lots of good info. Check it out if you haven't already.

That Rim and Size calculator is freaking awesome! It is such a great visual for me to understand what is going on! Thanks for sharing!