HPT not reading live data

Robf

Has anyone had issues in the past with hpt not wanting to give live data. I'm finishing up a turbo build and I upload a tune go to start it up and for whatever reason hpt won't record live data. It sees the vehicle sees some parameters but its not recognizing the engine is on. No rpms no data other than coolant temp ambient air and IAT.

Ross

Goblin Guru
I kept forgetting to disconnect VCM Editor from the COM port on the laptop, when I am trying to connect VCM Scanner.
Since you are getting temperature data, you are past that point. There is a way to set the "ping rate" for data collection for each parameter. For example the RPM could be scanned 10 times a second, but the engine temperature only every 5 seconds. Not sure if these could be set to 0 times per second... might want to check.

Robf

Try re-polling for supported parameters.
I went down the rabbit hole trying to get this fixed. Attached is what all data mentions to do for narrowing the problem down. I went through this and I'm still not any closer to solving the problem.

Attachments

Robf

I kept forgetting to disconnect VCM Editor from the COM port on the laptop, when I am trying to connect VCM Scanner.
Since you are getting temperature data, you are past that point. There is a way to set the "ping rate" for data collection for each parameter. For example the RPM could be scanned 10 times a second, but the engine temperature only every 5 seconds. Not sure if these could be set to 0 times per second... might want to check.
Well it's not a hpt problem it seems to be car problem. Not sure where to go from here everything on all data checks out

Gtstorey

Goblin Guru
Start over on what your problem is? Is HPT not reading data or is the ckp not registering? Any dtc’s? Tach working?

Robf

Start over on what your problem is? Is HPT not reading data or is the ckp not registering? Any dtc’s? Tach working?
The problem didn't end up being an hpt problem. I wasn't showing anything on tachometer or hpt. Ran down the path of a ckp using all data I checked everything. I ruled out it being an ecu problem. Which was a concern. (I welded on the exhaust with the battery connected) I swapped out the ckp sensor and also noted my maf was flipped around somehow and it started right up. Thank goodness! Time for a dyno sessions tomorrow. Hoping for 300whp out of a hodge-podge setup!

Attachments