Ah. B. Normal: GOB-BALT build has Started!

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
I just thought of something absolutely crazy. Since you're grafting a complete front end into the rear from a donor and leaving all of these same bits in the front end - make a dual engine monster. :p It would be a one of a kind Cobalt and would really scary to drive!

ah.b.normal

Goblin Guru
Completely unimportant update! Laundry is done. Headed out to visit some possible junk sources south of me a bit. I’m a wheel short of 5 lug steelies just now. Useful for fitment and measurement work.

ah.b.normal

Goblin Guru
I just thought of something absolutely crazy. Since you're grafting a complete front end into the rear from a donor and leaving all of these same bits in the front end - make a dual engine monster. :p It would be a one of a kind Cobalt and would really scary to drive!
Dr Squatch, you are just now thinking of this? Look up “Twinpala” by Roadkill Garage. Freiberger and Finnegan have already been up to that. My X1/9 and MR/2 days lit the fire under me and twinpala showed me the door. They noted Twinpala was more fun with the ft engine idiling in neutral. Slower but more fun. I figure a Cobalt could be cool 4wd but I believe mid engined with a diff in the front and rear but built as a real Hoonigan( no real interior)drive shafts to diffs coming off a E/W engine and trans now mounted N/S! That way it would have no transfer case. It might have to be RHD to make the driveshafts mate to the F&R diffs. That is a whole different circus with a whole new set of monkeys. The Olds Banshee reborn!

Vwsaabvt

Goblin Guru
Dr Squatch, you are just now thinking of this? Look up “Twinpala” by Roadkill Garage. Freiberger and Finnegan have already been up to that. My X1/9 and MR/2 days lit the fire under me and twinpala showed me the door. They noted Twinpala was more fun with the ft engine idiling in neutral. Slower but more fun. I figure a Cobalt could be cool 4wd but I believe mid engined with a diff in the front and rear but built as a real Hoonigan( no real interior)drive shafts to diffs coming off a E/W engine and trans now mounted N/S! That way it would have no transfer case. It might have to be RHD to make the driveshafts mate to the F&R diffs. That is a whole different circus with a whole new set of monkeys. The Olds Banshee reborn!
twin engine golf
twin engine minivan
don't forget the durocco (twin engine scirocco) either, not sure where it went but there used to be lots of info floating around on that one.

ah.b.normal

Goblin Guru
Hey Squach? If I did copy Twinpala with a straight 4 at each end couldn’t I claim it’s a Straight Eight? Booo. Naah.
twin engine golf
twin engine minivan
don't forget the durocco (twin engine scirocco) either, not sure where it went but there used to be lots of info floating around on that one.
I've got to say I had seen a little about each of those cars plus an Acura Integra which was well covered. All are great examples of daring to transform cars using different ideas! My angle is to try to do all this on the cheap. Starting with 10 y/o, high volume donors is large part. I'm barely $2500 into this mess so far and figure I could scrap my way halfway back to $0 if I fail and walk away. Trying to stay away from ideas like Rat Rods or pure race cars. A large portion of my effort thus far has been research, taking a tape measure and a sharpie marker out to the junkyard, drawing on wrecks and taking pictures, all of which I want to leave behind as a bread crumb trail for others. I'm trying to use methods and tools that are widely available, like using an engine hoist to raise the body off the drive train and a plumb bob, with the body up on jack stands and using tape marks on a cement floor. So thanks for mentioning those VW efforts here! So many times it's about inspiration, sources are not only in one corral! Another of my inspirations was when I was a kid (circa 1973?)watching a neighbor build a Dune Buggy, it may have been a Meyers Manx. I couldn't believe anyone would try such a thing. I saw him it driving later that year, The Smile on that man's face was Infectious! Everyone should aspire to cause that much Happiness!

ah.b.normal

Goblin Guru
On second viewing I guess that does look a little scary:eek:, but there is still some whittling of this part yet to be done. The big panel and piece of floor between the strut towers is only still there for dimensional support and much single thickness steel is yet to be carved off, due to the late hour we finished our primary cuts. CAUTION: FLUFF ALERT(Last night I re-attached the subframe and lo and behold one of the caged nuts has gone missing! We did flip this bit over and maybe it just wasn't trapped enough? Time for the metal detector?{or another trip to the junkyard} or maybe just a thick "wing" welded on a regular nut. I'll tack a washer on the bottom of the nut, for max surface area clamping support.)

ah.b.normal

Goblin Guru
Well, we're off to the Moultrie GA Swap Meet in the morning, no more progress until Sunday. Maybe I'll find some Cobalt leather seats!? I re-assembled under the hood, the Master or T/O bearing is not responding. I will replace the pair while the engine is out. I did not stretch my wiring yet. I chickened out and just threw the fuse box back together. Pleasant surprise, engine started right up, in neutral. Party Time! It also starts in gear, not unexpected, but I have to hold the clutch down to start. So even with the clutch pedal depressed, the car moves if in gear. I turn the key off, shift into reverse: relight: it goes backward. Turn key off, shift into first: relight to go forward. Very clunky: but this car IS moving under it's own power, a step in the right direction! (The red 08 SS drove around as soon as we installed a Left steering knuckle, but it's still twisted up, not road worthy, yet!) Black 06, GOB-BALT, I got with no battery and the driver's window was knocked out. Inside styling rivaling a proverbial "Goat's Stomach". The driver door has every problem possible, mirror: gone, door panel: in bits, window: shattered, lift motor: wiring hacked, door panel: MIA and the exterior handle is flexing the area around it, thus ripping out of the sheet metal. This car came from a used car lot, it came with 4 keys! I thought, Great! Thanks! Actually 2 of them fit nothing:(, one ignition/trunk key and one driver's door lock; passenger door lock cylinder is MIA. I'm hoping to find a J/Y door/trunk set, a new set with Ign is probably a little expensive. Passenger door panel is in 5 easy pieces. Inside rear view mirror is de-silvering from the edges in, so trash. Windshield is dern near perfect, wow. I have located color matched, door mirrors! Electric!, but they don't seem to work. Happily, all four wheels touch the ground in unison, most of the time. 4 lug A/M Falken(?) alloys with hex key type lug nuts, uuuugh. The aughts called and they/them want their Racerr Boi lug nutz back.) It goes forward and backwards. I cannot say that for $500, With a Title! and Towed to the farm, that I chould have expected much more? It's major redeeming feature beyond the Title is that it IS all one color AND it has NOT had it's Cat stolen!(a minor miracle in this price range!) Today I fitted a J/Y ft SS bumper cover. The headlights are foggy and their fit hooks on the bottom are smashed, I re-installed them anyhow. One works! Oh! then I was picking up my dropped tools, climbed under the front and found that the radiator is bent!, on the bottom edge, right in the DERN middle making a shallow V BUT it's not leaking!! So I'm sure it will leak as soon as I straighten it so the fan will fit again. Of course I failed to notice this bend until AFTER I installed the bumper cover, Arrrgh! That job is easier with the bumper cover off.

Last edited:

Ross

Goblin Guru
If done carefully, radiators can be straightened... with about 50% success rate... depending on the damage.
This radiator got straighted in my press, and after that last pic was taken, I pushed on it more with a 2x4 and a hammer, so the sides were straight. Drove with it for about a year, no issues.

This radiator is an example of rock damage, that I was unsuccessful at repairing. Probably could have epoxy repaired it, but I didn't want to test it, so I bought a new radiator.

I have straightened out quiet a few dirt motorcycle radiators back in my motorcycle racing years. At $400+ for a new motorcycle radiator, I was more motivated to try to repair them. The goblin radiator is cheap enough that I don't worry about buying a new one.

Last edited:

ah.b.normal

Goblin Guru
If done carefully, radiators can be straightened... with about 50% success rate... depending on the damage.
This radiator got straighted in my press, and after that last pic was taken, I pushed on it more with a 2x4 and a hammer, so the sides were straight. Drove with it for about a year, no issues.
View attachment 39408 View attachment 39407

This radiator is an example of rock damage, that I was unsuccessful at repairing. Probably could have epoxy repaired it, but I didn't want to test it, so I bought a new radiator.
View attachment 39409 View attachment 39410

I have straightened out quiet a few dirt motorcycle radiators back in my motorcycle racing years. At $400+ for a new motorcycle radiator, I was more motivated to try to repair them. The goblin radiator is cheap enough that I don't worry about buying a new one.
There much to be said regarding the dynamic of cost vs effort! I'm not one of those constant "gloomy gus' " types but it seems radiator straightening and I just don't get along any more. Back in the good old days of brass/copper rads I got out the solder/propane torch and saved many. Fortunately, since this is Cobalt parts, they are cheap and readily available! I bought a used one that appeared to be almost brand new, with fan for $75. I'll be driving a Cobalt with a geographically relocated power train, where as Goblin owners are driving a Cobalt power train that has relocated to another planet!

ah.b.normal

Goblin Guru
View attachment 39408 View attachment 39407

View attachment 39409 View attachment 39410

Ross, I recall seeing the after photos from you minor off roaring excursion. I figured it was a here goes nothing moment and was pleased to hear it actually stayed in one piece! Any victory, no matter how small, goes in the win column! I’m just being a tad pessimistic, so later I can be surprised by any level of success! We are actually wasting our breath nattering over a $75 radiator, $85 shipped to the shop by noon tomorrow! These are real first world problems, Mon Ami! Still if it wasn’t this, it would be something equally earth shattering! NOT! (CAUTION: Long story ahead.) 2017 I watched my family’s 5,000 sq ft house virtually burn to the ground taking 3 vintage cars, two trucks and a class A motor home with it. BUT when it was under control and the Fire Dept was packing up the three Captains met with me. I asked, was anyone hurt?!! They said nope! I said Great! This is an excellent day! People safely doing dangerous jobs and my neighbors houses have only superficial damage! One, a woman, piped up with, but your cars, your stuff, this place is a wreck! I told them we all got out safely, we stared in the face of destruction. Disaster may look like this but only the survivors get to rebuild anything! (Several firefighters cried over the Nova’s and the trucks and RV. I told them to laugh, no people in them!) I hope no one I know ever has to wade through a mess like that! Me? Worried about a bent radiator on a $500 car that runs AND drives, Naah! As I mentioned before, I could scrap this entire project and still lose only half of my investment!

Last edited:

ah.b.normal

Goblin Guru
My Monday was a wash, literally! I'd bet we got 2" of rain today. The visit from the glass removal guy has been pushed back to next Monday. I can see by the calendar on the wall that I have a month before we pull up stakes and get on the road again but that isn't the full measure. I have a week away in Jacksonville, NC visiting family, especially my Mom! She is 84. So reduce that available month to 3 weeks. Also I promised to install a small auxiliary water heater in under the kitchen sink. And assorted little tasks around our motor home, hang pictures in the half bath and oil change and replace the spark plug wires.(they begin to misfire ever 5,000 MI, thanks Henry!) The Farmer and I attend another Swap meet this coming weekend in Perry, GA! Maybe I'll find some Leather Cobalt seats there? (I found a pretty cool seat pair in a Saab93, but they were beige.) I prefer black or gray or combined. The Cobalt SS seats with blue accents would be nice too but I'd bet they're rarer than Nessie's poop!

ah.b.normal

Goblin Guru
The Big Picture is that once I finish this one UNIT, replication of this effort should go much faster! The amount of floor and body structure to remove and what space the driveline will occupy has been the biggest mystery yet to be codified. I generally(within 3"-4") can project where all the driveline ends up, but I still haven't actually dropped a body over those GoGo bits and placed the strut tops! The farmer is regretting our cutting up and disposing the 4 door donor but it had to go to keep up appearances(and sanity) around here! Test fitting a driveline of dummy GoGo bits into that body with the roof, trunk lid, doors and outer panels cut away would have eaten mucho hours but it's dissection could have helped everything along. A $4000 lift in a $60K garage would have sped things along as well! I have expended days of time on research of many aspects of the Cobalt. Keeping the original car functional, how to prep the recipient, structural integrity, stripping donors and parts interchangeability. I believe it will roll before I leave, but actually driving is in question. I hate to think about this; but when I depart westbound, in early May, I will not return until next June! GOB-BALT will languish, under cover, for a year.

ah.b.normal

Goblin Guru
Well here it is Thursday eve and not much to report. A Goblin friend, whom I think may be seriously enamored of my build, has graciously bequeathed the earthly remains of his donor(A Moment of Silence, Please) to my GOB-BALT “Research Facility”. It will be sliced and diced to serve an excellent cause, furthering Science! Allowing us to possibly make egregious errors without the long recovery likely to be induced by my somewhat reckless “Plan A”. Blue Penn SS was never going to CAR again, it’s final road insult was a crushed Left rear quarter panel and metal mites/rust had begun to seriously weaken many parts of its vital structure. This is It’s “Last Lap” in Life Automotive! The majority of Blue Penn SS lives on in 95Blitz’s Goblin! Raise Three Respectful and Grateful Cheers My Fellows! Huzzah! Huzzah! Huzzah!!!