Bajakid1450’s ss 2.4 turbo track goblin build

Gtstorey

Goblin Guru
I've wondered if it is possible to add a port injection intake to a direct injection head (in general)? I would think it's possible to make that run with existing controls if the crank reluctor type stuff is the same.

Bajakid1450

The difference between the port and direct injected heads, ECU, and harnesses is big enough that a conversion probably doesn't make sense. I'm no expert but I'm not sure that you can repin the ECM connector to drive the direct injectors or flash a tune to control them. I believe your general strategies would be to grab an ECM and harness from another donor (or junkyard), or to run your LE5 head on an LDK block. @Chris_WNC is doing something similar with a LAP (later 2.2) head on an LDK block.

With an '06 2.4 donor, I believe you have the earlier and stronger forged bottom end. I'd imagine you have a way to go before an LDK block will hold more power than the forged LE5. It might honestly be easier to just run a turbo on your existing setup?

The F23 should bolt right up to an LDK. I think you will need a new flywheel (6->8 bolt crank) but the clutch, pressure plate, slave cylinder, etc. will all work.

The only thing on the shifter that's frame length dependent is the tunnel cap, as far as I know. I can't speculate on cable length because I've not installed my new shifter yet but I could imagine the front mounting point is moved backwards?
Yea I was thinking of this too and the more things added to this to make it work, the more problems I seemed to find the would not work with the fuse box or bcm

Bajakid1450

I've wondered if it is possible to add a port injection intake to a direct injection head (in general)? I would think it's possible to make that run with existing controls if the crank reluctor type stuff is the same.
That would be a interesting concept, Hahn race craft has a port fuel intake manifolds for the lsj and LE5 to add 4 extra injectors

Gtstorey

Goblin Guru
It looks like GM 12655766 was an ecotec crate motor. I don't GM is still selling them.

I did see that the LSJ and LNF have the same reluctor but is clocked differently. I don't know how that relates to 2.4 or if there is any reasonable way to overcome that if they are different.

Rauq

Goblin Guru
You'd have holes in the combustion chamber unless you leave the direct injectors in place to plug that hole. Some of the big power DI guys will add a single port fuel injector because the ceiling of the DI system is lower than on a port injection setup.

Did you have a LNF chassis too because I know the ecu and fuse box most likely are different from a LE5 chassis
He does, it's in his signature.

The most apples-to-apples comparisons I've seen on the difference between a DI and PI setup is that the DI motor can spool a turbo a few hundred RPMs earlier. I can't imagine that's worth the cost and effort to switch a PI car to DI.

Gtstorey

Goblin Guru
You'd have holes in the combustion chamber unless you leave the direct injectors in place to plug that hole. Some of the big power DI guys will add a single port fuel injector because the ceiling of the DI system is lower than on a port injection setup.
I'm assuming the DI can stay in place.

Bajakid1450

I decided to go with DDM Works in Piedmont SC. They are doing a full forged engine and stage 3 turbo setup for 500 horses with tune and fabrication for a really great price imo. If anyone has anything to do with the 2.4l talk to them they are very knowledgeable and they work with Adam and Lonny directly for the Polaris slingshot 324 kits

Ross

Goblin Guru
Oh that sounds exciting! 500 hp is huge. So full forged, is that crank, connecting rods & pistons? Do you need a block girdle at that hp level? Are they porting the head? What would be a great price, $6000? $8000? What turbo are you planning on using? Looks like DDM used a Borg Warner on their Polaris Stage 3 kit.

That Polaris kit is just the pieces, not including forged parts... so it has to be more expensive than I was thinking. 10K?

Bajakid1450

Oh that sounds exciting! 500 hp is huge. So full forged, is that crank, connecting rods & pistons? Do you need a block girdle at that hp level? Are they porting the head? What would be a great price, $6000? $8000? What turbo are you planning on using? Looks like DDM used a Borg Warner on their Polaris Stage 3 kit.

That Polaris kit is just the pieces, not including forged parts... so it has to be more expensive than I was thinking. 10K?
Yes Rods, pistons, and crank they build them for the slingshot for big boost levels, ported head, 5 angle valve job and valve and springs and ported oil pump. And a bunch more stuff.
Yes a borg Warner efr 7163 turbo
Engine is $4500
Turbo kit is $4500 with tune and all fuel related items
Header and shorty Vband exhaust

Bajakid1450

As far as a block girdle they said it’s not needed and they have quite a few out there at 500+hp slingshots and reliability is no problem at all

Rauq

Goblin Guru
Well there goes my plans to (possibly) be the first Goblin to visit DDM Works in person! They and I have a friend in common. I know they do great work.

They also did a 700 hp Ecotec Ariel Atom a while back so you can be sure they know their stuff.

Bajakid1450

Well there goes my plans to (possibly) be the first Goblin to visit DDM Works in person! They and I have a friend in common. I know they do great work.

They also did a 700 hp Ecotec Ariel Atom a while back so you can be sure they know their stuff.
Sorry lol I found them by looking for a valve cover coil cover for the 2.4 and I was like dude they are 5 minutes away from me!!!

Bajakid1450

Finally got the new wheels on and still gotta wait 3 months to drive again:( rods on back order and borg warner efr 7168 turbo on back order too
82D27063-D21C-478D-BB74-9FFC6EA5EAAC.jpeg