Bill's Street/Track Goblin - 2007 SS/SC - Chassis #204

ToxicBill

All this started one day when, believe it not, my wife agreed having a "kit car" would be cool. After discussions, she was more referring to replica cars which are much more pricey than what I had in mind. In any case, I started looking more into the Goblin as it was on the cheaper side of things. Found the Goonzquad videos with the Goblin and the DF videos on YouTube. Got confident that I could this. Started looking at and pricing donor cars. Found a SS/SC . . . and done.

Found a 2007 SS/SC donor on Copart with nearly 115k miles (link). $2k all in. It had the front bumper ripped off, a radiator leak, and some fender/door damage. Probably the most concerning damage is the passenger front wheel that is "bent in" at the top. After finally getting the wheel off (had to order a lug tool for splined lug nuts), it looks like the strut is bent. I'll assume I'll find out more when I rip into it. I've confirmed that nothing else, other than the radiator, is leaking. Engine seems to run fine with no engine light nor codes. The interior is . . . . well used. Seat belts are shot but I was likely going to go aftermarket anyway. The previous owner left an aftermarket radio, amp, and capacitor in the car . . . might get a little coin for all that. Hopefully I can sell a few other parts off the car to recoup costs.

Let me tell you . . . the moment when you see the car in your driveway, it was a mix of excitement and anxiety . .. half "what have I done
!!" and half "I can't wait to get started!!"

I'm a "by the book" type of guy, so I'll be following the videos as closely as possible while understanding there will be differences with my build due to it being a SS/SC. Depending on how comfortable I get during the process, I may go rogue . . . we'll see. It'll be a slow build as I'll likely only have Sunday's to do the bulk of the work with (hopefully) some additional time during the week as it frees up.

I have a soon-to-be 8 year old son that I hope to involve as much as it makes sense . . . hopefully I nice father/son project.

I hope to use the Goblin for a mix of street (back and forth to work) and maybe some track once I get more comfortable with driving it.

I live in Spring, TX - north of Houston . . . one more Goblin in Texas,.

I've never owned an automobile with a supercharger or a standard transmission . . . now I have both. :)

Enjoy some pictures of the car in its delivered form. I'll try to post updates as they come.

Attachments

Karter2026

Goblin Guru
I have a soon-to-be 8 year old son that I hope to involve as much as it makes sense . . . hopefully I nice father/son project.
It makes complete sense to involve him in every step. You may just inspire the next Dave Kindig or Chip Foose. Because my dad was a mechanic I was around cars growing up and that, a little bit of beer is what has fueled this addiction for me.

Anyhow Welcome to the group!

KSLunsfo

Welcome! I frequently have the "what have I done...?" feeling! But the forum, talking to others and especially when the rare chance to be around one in person occurs my motivation is restored.

JBINTX

Goblin Guru
Every mountain was scaled one step at a time.
For the Goblin, it is just one bolt at a time....... But you have to bag and mark 'em!!! :)

Karter2026

Goblin Guru
Two things that I wanted to say.
1. You spelled Goblin wrong in your build log title. ( Sorry I live with a AP English teacher)

2. Do not be intimidated by the wiring. Label every connector . Even it is not connected to anything give it a number and and write down where it was located at what it was near.

JBINTX

Goblin Guru
Bill!!! I just noticed you are in Spring! Good to know we got another close Goblin builder. Two of us over here in Cypress / Waller area.

ToxicBill

Two things that I wanted to say.
1. You spelled Goblin wrong in your build log title. ( Sorry I live with a AP English teacher)
Fixed it!

2. Do not be intimidated by the wiring. Label every connector . Even it is not connected to anything give it a number and and write down where it was located at what it was near.
I plan on picking up a label maker tonight!

Parson Green

I think that hood is itching to come off.... :)
It's itching to come off and then you're going to need a place to put it (along with a lot of other stuff).

Here's a sensor (MAP) that can be a source of confusion:

It's connected into the engine harness and is "item #2" on the below-linked drawing. Just don't look for the vacuum line that connects to this sensor because there isn't one. The pressure that it's reporting to the ecu is the pressure of the ambient air.

Last edited: