Coilover Issues

KingChuck24

I am having some trouble with my coilovers.

For the front ones I cannot seem to put the joint in straight. I have tried the method described in the video but that didn't work so I put it into my vice and tried pressing it through but that also did not go in straight and damaged the inside of the housing for it:

Any suggestions?

I also got some parts back from powder coating today including the adjustment perches for the BC coilovers. There was some unintended overspray but I don't have a tap big enough to tap out the threads. Should I use a chemical solvent instead? If so which one? I have seen people say things like acetone as well as gasket remover but didn't know what was the right one to get.

jamesm

Goblin Guru
For the front one, you'll need to clean up that galling with s fine file or fine sand paper. first then use a mallet and a punch or socket to lightly tap the bearing in. A socket will keep it fairly even but you'll need to tap on the high side to get it going when it starts getting stuck.

For the ring, I would think a wire brush would clean those threads up pretty good.

Sluggonaut

Goblin Guru
I used a brake cylinder hone to fix my issue. I had 2 sets of inserts from QA1 and both were quite different in size, but still within QA1's specs.

The problem was that the outside edges of the shock eyes were significantly smaller than the middle sections of the eyes, which became very apparent after using the hone. The trick is to do it very slowly and keep test fitting until the bushings go in.