Df Gobin Turbo Diesel?

Is it a good idea?

• YEA

• NAH

Results are only viewable after voting.

Wilson B

I LOVE turbo diesels and Df Goblins, so why not combine them. I was thinking about adding the VW 1.9 TDI alh engine and transmission to a goblin. I know it will be hard because I need engine mounts and custom axles and a whole lot of other little things but I just wanted to hear others opinions on it. It wont happen any time soon though, maybe in the next 2 years, but I personally think it would be sick to have a diesel track car. And yes, I would upgrade the Tdi with bigger injectors, head, turbo and all the other supporting parts.

Gtstorey

Goblin Guru
Doing this will depend on your fabrication skill level.

I would expect to be heavier and slower than a turbo ecotec. But it would be different.

Wilson B

I have a professional fabricator friend who can do the engine mounts and other stuff like that and i can get custom axles online and it would all come together slowly, I know it would be quite a bit slower, but I just like diesels because have worked on them quite a bit and want to do something out of the ordinary. I can probably push maybe 300-350hp but with insane torque which is still alright, I also don't really want something too fast. I believe the engine weights about 400lbs so it wouldnt be that different in my opinion

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
Remember in simple terms - the torque is what pushes the car forward, the HP determines how quickly you get there. With 400+ ft.lb. of torque at low(ish) RPMs, and the Goblin being very light to begin with, a turbo diesel will be quicker than most people can realize.

I had a Golf TDI 2.0 (red 'I') with a few tweaks (ok, maybe more than a few) and it was just as fast any mildly modified GTI - and fun to tell the ricers they just got walked by a diesel. :cool:

Gtstorey

Goblin Guru
I guess it depends on what you are doing with the car. I would hate the limited RPM spread of the diesel on a curvy road.

Wilson B

its mainly going to be a summer fun car, a showoff car, and sometimes track car, unfortunately there are no tracks nowhere where i live tho. It makes me wonder how many mpg I can get with that light of a car and a turbo diesel that usually makes 40mpg in a golf

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
A diesel would be great for autocross with gobs of torque at lower RPMs to pull out of corners. It would get pretty good mileage, but a Goblin has the aerodynamic equivalent of a golf cart, so it would likely be less than expected. Most builders report only mid 20s for gas - when they can keep the loud pedal off the floor.

Scott #321

Who voted NAH?! Explain yourselves!
LOL while I have not voted it could be said that building any kind of kit car, performance car, or hot rod is not a good idea. Certainly tearing apart a functional vehicle that is all weather to build a Goblin stretches the limits of sanity. Who cares, it is a personal preference that may blossom to a wonderful infection of madness to all who see it. Build what you desire to satisfy what you want and don't worry about any naysayers. I am certainly glad DF did not listen to naysayers when building the Goblin as I would not have a wonderful vehicle to play with now.

Ross

Goblin Guru
They are working in goblin 2.0 that will be built off the VW platform so maybe not as hard to do in the future
The VeeDub ReDub is a new floor pan that is designed to mount a VW GTI engine in. Not really a goblin 2.0, but something new.

That DF floor pan will fit a VW beetle body, or many VW fiberglass based bodies that are made for a VW kit.

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
But VeeDub is a different animal than the proposed Goblin 2.0, which I believe @Wilson B is referring to - and may want to wait for? Would be a drop-in for the VW diesel drivetrain instead of the GTI drivetrain. :D

Ross

Goblin Guru
There is no Goblin 2.0 that I am aware of. The DF Goblin gets updates in real time, so newer kits get the latest parts. Now with lighter plastic gas tanks, new radiator overflow bottle mount, etc.

Anybody hear anything different?

Last edited:

Ross

Goblin Guru
Thanks Gtstorey. So the future Goblin is the VeeDub ReDub platform. I like the paddle shifters on the new platform. Makes me wonder if DF will offer it with a Goblin tube frame chassis to bolt onto the floor pan.

Sluggonaut

Goblin Guru
Thanks Gtstorey. So the future Goblin is the VeeDub ReDub platform. I like the paddle shifters on the new platform. Makes me wonder if DF will offer it with a Goblin tube frame chassis to bolt onto the floor pan.
I think there is still going to be a Goblin 2.0 per Adam's post - VeeDub ReDub is the intermediate project that will be the basis of the future Goblin.

Metal Mech

Yeah the way I understand it is they are working on a Goblin 2.0 that will be VW powered, but in the mean time they came up with VeeDub ReeDub using the same VW powerplant they will use for Goblin 2.0, but it will be a different product. I also remember reading that they will still sale the Cobalt Goblin along side the VW Goblin.