Gremlins - multiple symptoms SOLVED

escapepilot

Goblin Guru
The saga continues. New BCM seems to have solved all the issues…except the ones I may have created trying to troubleshoot. It now cranks…most of the time. When it doesn’t, I can wiggle the crank relay and usually get it to work. Cranked and ran a minute before shutting off and trying again. All was good till it cranked and wouldn’t start. Noticed I didn’t hear the fuel pump. Checked the fuse and relay and cranked again and it ran…till it quit. Fuel pump again. Wiggled it a bit and got it going again and while it was running, pushed down on the fuel pump relay slightly and felt it open…then close again. During this period of cranking and quitting etc, I still had to wiggle the crank relay occasionally.

Done for the night, but time to check fuse box plugs and such and grounds. Everything has been plugged and unplugged so much during this troubleshooting that something is probably loose.

Gtstorey

Goblin Guru
I've said it before, but I had to pull the individual wires loose from the large fuse box connectors and tighten up the individual connectors with a very small screwdriver. Took an hour or two, but it solved a lot of issues.

You can access the inside of the fuse box if you pull all of the fuses and relays if it's the relay connectors.

escapepilot

Goblin Guru
I do think the crank relay position could be snugged up but the connectors are much easier to address.

I noticed during this exercise that even after snugging down the connectors with the bolts, I could further push in the individual wires from the back side.

Rttoys

Goblin Guru
You can bend (tweak) the male tabs on the relay to help with making better contact on the terminals. Kind of a backwards way for fixing connections, but it works.

escapepilot

Goblin Guru
A little tweak and the no more relay problems. 180 mile round trip to Raleigh today and no issues. At least not with the car. Anyone know much about Samsung cell phones?? ‍

Desert Sasqwatch

Bigfoot Goblin
They have battery swelling issues that can split the case and catch on fire. I've had this happen twice in the last 3 years. Why do you ask?

escapepilot

Goblin Guru
They have battery swelling issues that can split the case and catch on fire. I've had this happen twice in the last 3 years. Why do you ask?
Used the phone gps to get to the show with no issues. As soon as I tried to take pics, it locked up. Tried rebooting and it locked up during reboot. Wouldn’t do a thing. Finally got home and tried recovery reboot without success. Got the case apart and disconnected the battery to try that.

I’m not having* much luck with electrical systems lately.

Rttoys

Goblin Guru
I have a motorcycle mount for my phone on the goblin. Works great, but in this heat, with it being in the direct sun and plugged in to keep the battery charged, it’ll overheat my phone. :confused: Do that one too many times and it’ll fry.

Desert Sasqwatch

Bigfoot Goblin
The first Samsung that I had the battery failure went off in my pocket and getting it out was a trick without getting seriously injured. Good thing I was wearing cargo pants and not jeans.