Nylon Webbing wrapping for "arm rest" on bedlined frame

Mayor West

Goblin Guru
Hey friends, it's been a minute since I've posted about my build - but I'm slowly working on version 2.

I coated my new frame in Herculiner because I had some lying around and I didn't want to pay for powder again after building a 2nd time.

It's sort of rough to the touch, so I wanted to cover the arm rest and upper frame with some military-style nylon webbing - sort of like exhaust wrap but without the fiberglass irritation.

I was hoping one of you had a good source on where I can get some of this stuff in bulk, I wanted to wrap a lot of the frame with it. Not sure how much I want, but a-lot is a good word I've used so far.

--> This is an example of what I'm looking for <-- I've yet to ask them for a bulk roll price, though.

I sorta wanted to also try doing a cross-hatch webbing for things like the side panels and sun shade.

Anyone got a lead on that type of stuff?

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
Just a thought: you will want something that is UV resistant, otherwise the sun will fade it pretty quickly and eventually cause the fibers to breakdown. Much of this webbing is made from cotton or blended and it's nice to the touch but will not last with prolonged sun exposure. Another thought is a yard of the webbing will go pretty far, guessing about 18 inches? But with potentially lots of tube to wrap - depending upon your preferences - could be quite a bit of yardage.

Glad to see you're back at and hopefully this build will remain accident free! :D

Edit: maybe try this place to see if they have something that can stand up to sun exposure?
[/URL]

Mayor West

Goblin Guru
Yeah, that's why I'm looking for nylon webbing. Like 100 yard bulk packaging.

If it's found from a normal search result for strap, webbing, etc I've probably already looked at it. I'm more or less asking for non-conventional sources that may not have a website or something, like oldschool shops or something you may live near or have heard of.

r3drckt

Goblin Guru
Why not rattle can the arm rest areas/areas you want wrapped and lay down the clear coat for UV protection?

baustin

Seems like McMaster-Carr has the type stuff you're looking for: https://www.mcmaster.com/nylon-webbing/
I see lengths up to 150ft/50yd per roll and they offer 1" wide or 2" wide. I don't think they quote the shipping cost typically but my orders have come from somewhere near Georgia so it's not too expensive to ship to SC or NC.

Joebob

Goblin Guru
Before buying in bulk, have you tried to wrap a bar with a small amount you may be able to buy at a fabric store (Joann)? Securing the wrap may be problematic and expect that the nylon webbing to stretch over time and temp. Have you thought about paracord for tubing wraps? Seen some pretty cool knife and axe handle designs and would be non abrasive and easily replaced if damaged. Also consider that the floor pan prevents wrapping around the bottom tubes to making sides if that was an idea. A woven roof sounds cool though and the option to make the loops attachment points for stuff.

Joe

Gtstorey

Goblin Guru
In order to secure the webbing in place, I think it will have be glued in place. I don't think just wrapping it will work.

Mayor West

Goblin Guru
For whatever reason I guess I disabled email notifications and missed all these comments.

@r3drckt I've already bed lined the frame, so coating it in something else wouldn't be ideal.
@baustin I missed MC - thanks for the suggestion! Their prices are, however, astronomical compared to other sources.
@Gtstorey That's definitely a great idea!
@Joebob I don't think wrapping any malleable strap over the knobby bedliner surface will make it hard to keep form - plus like DS mentioned, I plan on using some form of straps and/or glue as necessary. Also since this is my second time building this goblin, I'm definitely altering some things as I go, so making room for the straps won't be a problem
@escapepilot I've never really held the material that makes up fire hoses but I think it might be a little too firm to wrap around the tight diameter of the frame.

After thinking this over, I think I love the look of my exhaust wrap.... bronze/khaki/tan like webbing that's about 2" wide or so. I think I'm going to get a small sample of some MILSPEC colored strap and see how I like it against the frame.

Thanks everyone!

escapepilot

Goblin Guru
For whatever reason I guess I disabled email notifications and missed all these comments.

@r3drckt I've already bed lined the frame, so coating it in something else wouldn't be ideal.
@baustin I missed MC - thanks for the suggestion! Their prices are, however, astronomical compared to other sources.
@Gtstorey That's definitely a great idea!
@Joebob I don't think wrapping any malleable strap over the knobby bedliner surface will make it hard to keep form - plus like DS mentioned, I plan on using some form of straps and/or glue as necessary. Also since this is my second time building this goblin, I'm definitely altering some things as I go, so making room for the straps won't be a problem
@escapepilot I've never really held the material that makes up fire hoses but I think it might be a little too firm to wrap around the tight diameter of the frame.

After thinking this over, I think I love the look of my exhaust wrap.... bronze/khaki/tan like webbing that's about 2" wide or so. I think I'm going to get a small sample of some MILSPEC colored strap and see how I like it against the frame.

Thanks everyone!

I may be able to come up with a small piece of single ply hose that we use for you to test. If it works, I should be able to get enough for armrests from a ruptured hose we have.