oil cooler seal help plz

newbtrying

Hey guys,

after a long process of rebuilding my LSJ, I found cracked seals on my oil cooler (between engine block and oil cooler adapter [the piece the oil pressure sensor screws into]) and I cannot find replacement seals for the life of me. Please please drop a part number or link for these two seals before I go full shadetree and use RTV. the ones I am looking for are shaped like a flattened O-ring in the opposite way that a washer is flattened, and one is bigger than the other; they are not the same size.

Any help is appreciated. here's a picture for reference:

Ross

Goblin Guru
An old O ring will be shaped by the spot it is squished into. A new doughnut shaped O ring should work fine, and once squished into place, will conform to the grooves squared off shape. Take the part to an auto store, and see if they have some regular shaped O rings for you.

Ross

Goblin Guru
All I could find here is:
Important: The oil cooler includes the O-ring seals as a assembly. The seals are designed for re-use and should not be removed.

So I suspect if you went to Chevrolet, they would tell you that you need a new oil cooler.

63. Engine Oil Cooler Installation

Oil Cooler Installation

1. Install NEW O-rings on the oil bypass tube.

2. Notice: Refer to Fastener Notice in Service Precautions.

Install the oil bypass tube.
^ Tighten the tube to 22 Nm (16 ft. lbs.).
3. Install the oil cooler.
4. Install the oil cooler bolts.
^ Tighten the oil cooler bolts to 16 Nm (12 ft. lbs.).
5. Install the oil pressure sensor.
^ Tighten the oil pressure sensor to 18 Nm (13 ft. lbs.).
6. Install the oil cooler lines.

newbtrying

****EDIT*** DO NOT DO THIS. This became a source of a big oil leak. I'll be going the remote mount direction since I'd have to buy a whole new oil cooler to get the proper seals.

problem solved: Ace hardware.

I went online and searched high and low for the exact perfect fit for an O-ring, and found some close matches. However, you had to order 500 at a time on most of these websites and I just didn't want to have 499 leftover or wait on shipping. I went to Autozone, Advanced Auto, Oreilley's, NAPA, etc... none of those parts stores were able to match my O-ring.

In the end, I went to Ace Hardware and brought my oil cooler adapter and just smashed O rings into it until I found two that I thought I could make work. (See pic for sizes).

I'll report back if it leaks. Otherwise, assume it was much success.

Last edited:

newbtrying

In the future, I'll just go to an oil-air cooling setup... for now, I'll keep things as is. I've turbo-swapped my LSJ, so I think air cooling would help keep coolant temps down.

Rttoys

Goblin Guru
glad you got it covered. For future reference, as Ross said, it’s pert of the oil cooler as per GM.
IMG_2902.png

Ross

Goblin Guru
In the future, I'll just go to an oil-air cooling setup... for now, I'll keep things as is. I've turbo-swapped my LSJ, so I think air cooling would help keep coolant temps down.
I wouldn't. The current oil cooler has a thermostat on the coolant side, which will help get the oil up to temperature in cold weather, as well as cool the oil to the correct temperature during the hot weather. An oil-air cooler doesn't usually have any thermostatic control.

mike_sno

Goblin Guru
I know this probably is to late, but in this picture you see new o rings. This gives you hopefully an idea if you have the right size or close to it.