Power steering motor installed now what

D&dgoblin69

Installed power steering motor as per video. I seen video of cutting ignition lock. Is the rest of steering column reused?

Rttoys

Goblin Guru
You still use the upper steering shaft and steering wheel nut from the column, as well as the multifunction lever. Watch the next few videos and it should explain.

snirtman

Installed power steering motor as per video. I seen video of cutting ignition lock. Is the rest of steering column reused?
Looks like I'm in the same boat as you. Really wish DF had some instructions on how to assemble the steering wheel.

I have it mostly together (I think) and I have two questions:

I have (3) stubbly little screws left and no holes to put them in

And is it even possible to use the horn on the DF quick-release wheel? I don't see any way that would work.

Ross

Goblin Guru
DF put the horn on the button panel for a reason. The horn on the steering wheel is cheap, junk in my opinion. It sometimes jams when depressed, there is no proper electrical contacts, instead it uses a bolt head as a contact. It would require a clockspring and a hole drilled thru the side of the steering stem to provide wires to the center of the steering wheel. I debated installing the Cobalt clockspring and drilling a hole, but when I realized that the horn jams, I decided the DF dash mount would work better.

I even thought about using a HC-12 transmitter/receiver module with an arduino & battery, and putting it on the steering wheel, and another one in the dash. Then I could have a race car instrumented steering wheel, with 2 way communication to the car. Maybe someday I will get to this project.

Last edited:

Metal Mech

DF put the horn on the button panel for a reason. The horn on the steering wheel is cheap, junk in my opinion. It sometimes jams when depressed, there is no proper electrical contacts, instead it uses a bolt head as a contact. It would require a clockspring and a hole drilled thru the side of the steering stem to provide wires to the center of the steering wheel. I debated installing the Cobalt clockspring and drilling a hole, but when I realized that the horn jams, I decided the DF dash mount would work better.

I even thought about using a HC-12 transmitter/receiver module with a arduino & battery, and putting it on the steering wheel, and another one in the dash. Then I could have a race car instrumented steering wheel, with 2 way communication to the car. Maybe someday I will get to this project.
The horn on the button panel doesn’t bother me at all, but I been thinking about going old school and doing a foot button by the clutch like my 74 Camaro had. Just not sure if there is enough room to make it usable without hitting it all the time.