Rear calipers drag at about 5 miles.

D&dgoblin69

So the df supplied Pontiac solstice calipers started to drag two nights in a row at about 5 miles. I was thinking about going from a dot 3 to 4 but some of you chimed in and had that issue of locking up. Iam actually pulled over now to let brakes cool then Iam back home. I think Iam going to put the colbalt calipers on the rear . I had 4 lug changed to 5 so old rotors won’t work. I think Iam at 5x114.3 with the df bearings. Wonder do I get colbalt ss front rotors? Because the solstice rotors where bigger

Ross

Goblin Guru
If you pull up on the brake pedal, does it lift or is the spring able to fully retract the pedal?
143 Fixing the brakes dragging issue. Brake caliper shimming to center it on the brake rotor.

Sluggonaut

Goblin Guru
I had a brake dragging issue with those and just needed to adjust the parking brake cable. It was strange because they would drag some times and not others until I added a little slack at the adjuster behind the brake handle.

D&dgoblin69

I had a brake dragging issue with those and just needed to adjust the parking brake cable. It was strange because they would drag some times and not others until I added a little slack at the adjuster behind the brake handle.
Parking brake cables not installed yet.

D&dgoblin69

If you pull up on the brake pedal, does it lift or is the spring able to fully retract the pedal?
143 Fixing the brakes dragging issue. Brake caliper shimming to center it on the brake rotor.
Low and behold thanks Ross I adjusted the pushrod bushing misaligned. I’ll check tomorrow fingers crossed.

Attachments

D&dgoblin69

I adjusted brake booster push rod to master cylinder so that it’s not cocked. Test drove about 5 miles brakes starting to drag lock up. So now Iam going to brake system flush. Then I’ll rebuild calipers. If that don’t fix it Iam calling df.

Rttoys

Goblin Guru
Your park brake cables are not hooked up, but make sure the park brake levers are fully retracted. I have had them stick before after setting them.

Also, pull up on the brake pedal just to make sure it is fully retracted. my clutch pedal will stick just a hair every now and then. I got into a habit to kick it and the brake pedal up with my foot while driving, just in case.

Joebob

Goblin Guru
Could it be that without the cables holding the parking brake mechanism back, that every time you brake, you start engaging the self adjusting mechanism ratcheting the pads closer and closer to the rotor until they can't back off enough for clearance. Put the whole system together as designed before thinking of scrapping it.

Joe