Whidbey Goblin, track chassis for the streets. 05 SS donor.

Whidbey Goblin

Ordered my kit about a month ago and finally got a weekend to start tearing apart my donor. Pretty excited to get this project moving. Everyone I’ve talked to so far has been extremely friendly and helpful! Today I got the engine, transaxle, subframe, seats and some of the wiring out.

Attachments

Rauq

Goblin Guru
Welcome! Glad to see someone else using the correct motor ;) Be sure to save all of your hoses, I'm not sure anyone has come up with a "definitively best" coolant hose setup for an SS/SC. We all just kinda piece together new and stock hoses.

Be sure to update your signature to make it faster and easier to get better input and answers to your questions. We will all want to help (as you may have noticed) but the helpfulness tends to improve if you make it obvious to folks what you're working with.

Whidbey Goblin

Hopefully it shows correctly, I just edited the name of my build thread. Changed my mind on my chassis which worked out well because it sounds like I’ll get it earlier!

k.rollin

Goblin Guru
Good choice in my opinion too. A-pillar tubes and a convenient place to mount a rear view mirror for street driving were definitely considerations I had when I placed my order.

MJP61

Not sure what this is called, some kind of brake equalization valve or potentially something to do with ABS? I haven’t seen it on the parts list or in the teardown videos. Does anyone know what this is and if I need it?
That is the ABS pump. Not needed

Whidbey Goblin

Tear down complete! I’ll be prepping parts this weekend. I can’t wait to get my chassis!!

Attachments

Whidbey Goblin

So I’ve been told these are important parts to replace. Adam gave me part numbers, these are the Napa equivalent. Does everyone think this is OK? Also is there anything I should know about installing this correctly?

Attachments

Ross

Goblin Guru
Yes, both those are important parts. The top one fixed a failed bolt on my donor... I found the broken bolt head in the pan months later.
The bottom one, the cam chain tensioner is a pain to tell if it has deployed correctly. I would practice setting it off, and resetting it, many times before actually putting it in your engine. Maybe someone know the secret, but it is hard to tell if it is set or not.

Whidbey Goblin

After searching around a bit I found a couple videos that make it pretty obvious how to do it. For some reason I thought I didn’t have to pull my valve cover but it seems that might be important.

Lokian

After searching around a bit I found a couple videos that make it pretty obvious how to do it. For some reason I thought I didn’t have to pull my valve cover but it seems that might be important.
You need to pull the valve cover to unlatch the tensioner once it is installed. Might as well do the timing kit if the funds are available.