Bell housing spacer necessity

My gut tells me this is a bad idea but I thought I should ask anyway. Today I bolted up the f35 manual transmission and new lDK engine together. Well, in my haste, I forgot to install the spacer. This got me thinking though, I would have had a 300 thousandths air gap which isn't supposed to blow out the throwout bearing seal but missing that 125 thousandths spacer gets me closer to that 150-200 thousandths ideal gap. I'd imagine the starter would then need a spacer and the motor mounts might be off though. Any thoughts?

Thanks for the reply. I hadn't considered the possible interference the input shaft might cause being deeper in the engine. It bolted together fine, no bottoming out. I think it's safer to put the spacer in. The subrame is still separate from the body so it would be as simple as pulling the engine back a little and slipping the plate in.

jirwin

Goblin Guru
How thick is the spacer, and how good are you at CAD? You could always recreate it and have SendCutSend make it.

Grayson

How thick is the spacer, and how good are you at CAD? You could always recreate it and have SendCutSend make it.
I can make it if i have too. This issue is how damaged mine is. I would have to do a lot of guessing without a new one. Preferably I find an undamaged one and take measurements off of that.