Donors

ah.b.normal

Goblin Guru
Given the budget nature of the build, I would be shopping for a base model cobalt....not the SS.

Base models can be had for peanuts all day long. The engine can be built later for a reasonable price to exceed the power level of a stock SS. Given the price increase of the SS over the last few years, I'd wager you can buy a base model and build it to 250hp for cheaper than you can find an SS at this point.

There's also a chance you get the goblin built and decide 150hp is plenty, because it is. 150 hp in a built goblin is way faster than 300hp in an unbuilt goblin.
Wise words! But, Generally, the individual who endeavors to build a Goblin is a personality that likes power and likes More Power even MORE! AND they want it NOW!(But, You're NOT Wrong.)
In the immortal words of Chris Rock, "Ain't nuthin" wrong wit Dat!":cool:

Scott #321

800 HP 2.2 and a quick search reveals many have achieved even higher numbers. That said it is and will be your build and you can do whatever you desire. Just advising don't get to caught up in the base HP numbers as enhancements are a part of the journey for the majority of us.

Robinjo

Goblin Guru
800 HP 2.2 and a quick search reveals many have achieved even higher numbers. That said it is and will be your build and you can do whatever you desire. Just advising don't get to caught up in the base HP numbers as enhancements are a part of the journey for the majority of us.
230-240 w-hrsprs is more than adequate with the supercharger pounding from jump. Mine is a rocket already, I can't imagine the 300 or 400 hrspr units running around. And Justin Reed is a madman at 500-600 depending on what he's doing.
Even the non-charged version I bet is fast even though I have not drive or ridden in one.

my worry is how much the enhancements would cost half as much as a entire donor car not counting the cost of taking it to a shop to get put together

Markm

John Lingenfelter’s was really fast too and remember when they built those cars. Crazy Hp and extremely fast. RIP Mr Lingenfelter. I tried finding some of the old publications on the engine build and couldn’t find much. Wish I would’ve kept some of those we received in the dealership in those days.

ah.b.normal

Goblin Guru
True story brotha! Pay now or pay later, your still going to pay.
To hear the K motor contingent talk, I get the impression Honda is giving it away! "K motor" this!, "K motor" that!, "K motor solves world hunger!", "K motor did my home work for me!" "K motor made me a chick magnet." Yet in 500+ Goblins I have yet to hear of a single K motored Goblin? Not the least of which you must be able to afford to build your dream before you can actually build it.,,,
My Points, #1 Taking on a project the scope of a Goblin, you represent a very, very narrow and Brave but tiny sliver of the auto hobby; #2 Lonny is simply a genius.,,,
Yes, What I really want is a Reventhlow Scarab and 19 y/o Jill St. John for my arm candy and to be the heir to the Woolworths fortune. But that just ain't gonna happen. (Look it up! It was like a fairy tale. The coolest cars, the hottest Hollywood actresses, money falling from the sky, or your parents. Your Shop was a hangar at the LA airport. Your paint was by Von Dutch! Your buddies were Carrol Shelby and Tra-Co engineering. You and your buddies built a car and beat the Europeans then partied on Champagne, Whiskey and Steaks all night. AND it all really happened!)

ah.b.normal

Goblin Guru
Hayden, welcome to the forum. - I've had my Goblin kit for more than 4 years and I am still enjoying it as an 'engineering' project doing many things that I share with other builders. You're still young and have lots of opportunities in front of you. Ask questions, the forum is here to help. :D
MAN! that is some Hella great advice! Buy your donor and DD it up until your build! Your budget already contains a DD?! Find the newest unit you can(like 2 y/o) with body damage, (like hail damage, that nobody wants to fix! Look around Dallas all the way up to KC). Do the minimum body work fixes, "swallow your pretty car pride"; maintain and drive the weewee out of it!,,,, If someone in traffic has a brain fart and lets the Genie out of your dash the donor will be totaled. Take the reduced payout and keep the car! You don't even have to do any special "risky driving". If you commute 40 miles every day, odds are fair they'll find you.

Dale E

In the last month there have been 4 base model Cobalt with automatics and 3 HHR's base auctioned for under 600$ at my local police impound lots. I also let an Audi go by that would have been a V2 donor. (1800$ running/driving).

Build a base Goblin, learn it, drive it, enjoy it, then as money flows in upgrade. My interest in all types of cars is still very strong but I'm to old to acquire more toys. Do it when you can. An 8 - 10$ McDonalds burger will buy a couple switches!!

RGSkid70

If you're planning to modify a base model Cobalt for more HP, avoid the early model years. HP Tuners does not support early model 2.2 Cobalts.

comegetjoe

Goblin Guru
Deals come around. Ive picked up several SS/TC cars on copart for sub $3k delivered that run/drive and idle all day. I found a local SS/TC that needed a steering knuckle after a small incident with a curb. They don't make that part anymore, but I had one, so I made things happen and now its on the road. People have been asking STUPID-HIGH prices for these cars in the last year. $6-7k for cars with high mileage is rediculous.

My point, if you want an SS car, SC or TC, keep looking for a deal. There is enough aftermarket support for both engines to make power for any level.