Equivalent of Chevy Cobalt today

Jareth

Goblin Guru
So before stumbling across the Goblin I had never even heard of a Chevy Cobalt SS?

Are there any cars today that would be the equivalent of what a Cobalt SS was in its day?

Ghostknife

Goblin Guru
So before stumbling across the Goblin I had never even heard of a Chevy Cobalt SS?

Are there any cars today that would be the equivalent of what a Cobalt SS was in its day?

I don't think from the American brands, but the Euro brands do. VW GTI would be one of the top of my list as a 4 banger turbo hot hatch.

Rauq

Goblin Guru
If you're considering the mix of performance and obscurity, perhaps the Elantra N. I think most people who like cars know what the Civic SI is, but it's probably the next closest thing to a performance bargain version of an economy car. The Fiesta ST and 500 Abarth were riots when they were being made and wouldn't really stand out in a parking lot either.

For surprise non-FWD performers, the Kia Stinger with the 3.3TT V6 is pretty dang quick and can do mid-400s hp and mid-500s torque with just a piggyback.

Metal Mech

They stopped making them but I loved my Focus-ST.
I’d absolutely love a version of the Goblin with that motor.
They actually make a version of the Lotus 7 replica that can use that motor.
Speaking of the 500 Abrath I been thinking of getting one when my kid inherits the truck. Something small, cheap and fun for daily so I can spend the rest of my money on kit cars/project cars haha.