F23 Transmission connectors and line hookup

Grayson

Hey y'all,
I just switched from an F35 to an F23 transmission and im wondering what this electrical connector is for and what these 2 plugged holes are for. What all do I need to hook up to make sure my trans is functioning properly.
Also, for anyone else who bought a new trans from DF, is there anything I should know? Do I need to add fluid/ change fluid after a certain mileage? Break in period? etc.
Thanks!

Attachments

Rauq

Goblin Guru
IMG_1262 is the vehicle speed sensor. 1265 and 1266 are where the clutch hydraulic hose goes, there's info with a part number you'll need here. I believe 1263 and 1264 are the fill port. My junkyard F23 came with a plug that's also a breather. I'm not sure if your plug will suffice or if you need to source the threaded breather plug. I'll see if I can find a part number for that plug, but I didn't find anything with a quick search.

I assume you got the backup switch figured out, that's the only other electrical connector for the trans.

Rauq

Goblin Guru
Still can't find a part number. I grabbed this picture from an eBay ad for an F23 to show a picture of the breather plug:

It looks similar to the one on the auto trans:

Unless you or someone else can come up with a part number, that may be something that you have to grab at a junkyard if you don't trust that plastic plug to seal. I think the threads are super coarse for the plastic plug so I don't think you will be able to find a bolt to shove in there. Also to my recollection the F35 does not have any sort of case breather so the breather plug may or may not be necessary.

Grayson

Still can't find a part number. I grabbed this picture from an eBay ad for an F23 to show a picture of the breather plug:
View attachment 46950

It looks similar to the one on the auto trans:
View attachment 46951

Unless you or someone else can come up with a part number, that may be something that you have to grab at a junkyard if you don't trust that plastic plug to seal. I think the threads are super coarse for the plastic plug so I don't think you will be able to find a bolt to shove in there. Also to my recollection the F35 does not have any sort of case breather so the breather plug may or may not be necessary.
So i have that black turnable knob. There is another plug which seems to be that black thing next to it in the last photo.

Rauq

Goblin Guru
Wow I was totally looking at that wrong... is that light colored plastic plug where the reverse sensor goes? I think it's different than the F35 reverse sensor, at least that's the way I remember that.

Rauq

Goblin Guru
Also, for anyone else who bought a new trans from DF, is there anything I should know? Do I need to add fluid/ change fluid after a certain mileage? Break in period? etc.
Thanks!
My background is working in the manufacturing of transfer cases with gears and chains and clutches, but those units got filled once and were considered "fill for life" like most new transmissions these days. I don't think any break in beyond what you'd normally do for a clutch is necessary. Then again, the F23 uses cheap enough fluid (Dexron III, technically, although these days you might as well throw some VI in there), no harm in doing a fluid change after a couple hundred miles. I would expect anything that comes up to stay stuck to the magnet, though, so maybe it's not even worth it. I put an LSD in my used F23 and then pulled the trans back apart a few weeks later and the fluid looked cherry (literally), and looked cherry again after a year of hard driving on it, so no real worries anywhere. The magnet was dirty on the initial LSD install but hadn't picked anything up a couple hundred miles later.

ah.b.normal

Goblin Guru
The electrical connector for the speedo may be different between the F35 and the F23 manuals, if so I believe the same connector is used in the headlight harness for the ambient temp sensor behind the left headlight. (I know for a fact the speed sensor connector for Auto application is very different, like the temp sensor on the back of the head or door ajar switches.)

Grayson

IMG_1262 is the vehicle speed sensor. 1265 and 1266 are where the clutch hydraulic hose goes, there's info with a part number you'll need here. I believe 1263 and 1264 are the fill port. My junkyard F23 came with a plug that's also a breather. I'm not sure if your plug will suffice or if you need to source the threaded breather plug. I'll see if I can find a part number for that plug, but I didn't find anything with a quick search.

I assume you got the backup switch figured out, that's the only other electrical connector for the trans.
For the part that you linked for the clutch breather, do you have a photo or video of it hooked up on your car? How does it connect to the hard clutch line from the goblin?

ah.b.normal

Goblin Guru
For the part that you linked for the clutch breather, do you have a photo or video of it hooked up on your car? How does it connect to the hard clutch line from the goblin?
Adam should know what the difference(if any)is on a Goblin line and an OEM line. The F35 end is Aluminum with a bleeder and the F23 is plastic with a bleed screw. I believe the appliance sticking out of your trans has a bleed screw the line plugs into that piece, pointing to the right. For images of this part look up stock clutch lines, they usually show it.(the hockey puck end connects to the master.)

Rauq

Goblin Guru
The breather is the fill plug.

The clutch line fitting that I linked goes into the protruding end of the slave cylinder. I don't think this is an F23 trans but I found this picture searching this part number and F23 clutch hydraulics look about the same.