Footwell vent

WarmPepsi

not a bad idea...

I was wondering if anybody had done anything with throwing a door on the side metal... Opening up outwards like the old "Wing Vent Windows".

Me thinks it would only take a bit of metal, a piano hinge, and something to hold it open/closed....

Gtstorey

Goblin Guru
I got the vent ducted to the footwell area and drove it this weekend. I'm not sure that the results are worth the effort. On one hand, there doesn't seem to be a lot of positive flow into the footwell. On the other, I think it did change it from being a negative pressure area that sucked in hot air from the radiator. We'll see what it does when temps climb.

My hood vent is probably a little small and the air flow must shoot over it. The duct is only 4" diameter and probably needs to be bigger. After I see how it works in summer heat, I may try to make a larger & taller custom scoop and larger duct.

I've considered using the ducts from the DF heat exchanger kit that I didn't use for trying to pull air through the side panels, but I'm not sure that area would pull cool air in.

WarmPepsi

I changed my mind after thinking about this a little further. I'm gonna do the route from the side metal, using a NACA duct with a vent on the end to adjust.

We built a composite aircraft, and used these same vents. On takeoff roll, it would blow your hat into the backseat if they were open, but they also took 200 mph without failing (when they were closed), so they should do fine at these lower speeds. I'll post up when i get the stuff to do it.

Last edited:

RITDR

The Lego goblin had NACA ducts in the side panels with vents on them that could be opened or closed. Not sure how well they worked, but it looked like it would allow some sort into the footwell area.

WarmPepsi

The Lego goblin had NACA ducts in the side panels with vents on them that could be opened or closed. Not sure how well they worked, but it looked like it would allow some sort into the footwell area.
Got my interest.... Gonna have to go looking for photos.

WarmPepsi

Everything’s already been done, lol. Exact parts sitting on my table ready for install. Thanks for finding it!

Gtstorey

Goblin Guru
Let me know how they work, I'll probably be adding this to mine.

I did drive mine last week on a warmer day, and I think mine through the hood is doing more than I initially thought. Still doesn't have any real positive airflow, but definitely didn't feel the warm stagnate air that is usually there.

WarmPepsi

I don't have the hood block (footwell cover). I plan on extending the front firewall up and using rubber/gasketed material as a semi-seal. I may actually put a few vents on there too because on cool mornings like today (55 degrees) after 4-5 minutes of driving, you get warm air coming through which is a positive.

When it was high 80's and roasting sunny last week, it was uncomfortable, but wasn't unbearable..... but again, i wasn't totally sitting in traffic baking... but the heat from the radiator is no joke, even when moving. I was amazed at the difference in airflow thru the nose with traffic changes in front of me. Anybody 15 cars ahead or less completely screws the aero thru the radiator, etc. A pair of semi's in front of you at highway speeds makes you feel like you're in a washing machine. :oops:

jayrolls

I changed my mind after thinking about this a little further. I'm gonna do the route from the side metal, using a NACA duct with a vent on the end to adjust.

We built a composite aircraft, and used these same vents. On takeoff roll, it would blow your hat into the backseat if they were open, but they also took 200 mph without failing (when they were closed), so they should do fine at these lower speeds. I'll post up when i get the stuff to do it.
That is the exact route I have been looking into. We just pulled the hood back off and added insulation on the footwell cover. It has for sure helped with the heat from the radiator coming in the gap between the hood and the cover. Also got the engine covers on today and that helped some more. Still getting heat from the engine bay into the cabin from the gap below the covers and the chassis between the seats. Gonna try to block that with some plexi and then the naca ducts on the side panel should give good airflow.

WarmPepsi

So I played around with the vents and ducts tonight… I’m gonna try and find some smaller ducts and vents. As is it would impede too much on my big ole size 13 clutch foot.

i then thought above moving it slightly farther back…. But again the sizing of the scoop was just a bit too big. These will go back and I’ll report back with my second try.

WarmPepsi

I’m worried about the clearance aroun the clutch also. Not sure how I’m going to handle it.
I get around it but it’s a bit too bulky there. I figure a slightly smaller one will go in the next gap to the rear and be taller up. More directing air across the front of the seats…. Probably won’t do any good until the front is buttoned up a bit better though.

Jareth

Goblin Guru
I have been searching for those windshield side vents but have not been able to find any? Dose anyone know where to get some?