GOTW - 4-19-24 #386 Cooper Banks

Adam

Administrator
Staff member
This week's Goblin of the Week was built by Cooper Banks from Titusville, FL. Cooper grew up in the drag racing scene but has used his Goblin (and even his donor before tearing it down) to hit autocross events and track days.

What is your name?
Cooper Banks

Where are you located?
Titusville, Florida

What is your forum screen name?
@Stretch2126

Build log on forum:
Stretch’s ext. track goblin #386 SS/TC

What is your chassis number?

When did you buy your Goblin?

Tell us a little about yourself.
I’ve always been into cars and racing since I can remember. My dad has been drag racing since he was a kid and passed that trait on to me. I started racing Jr. dragsters at 8 years old and got out of it around 15. Had some other hobbies that I was heavily involved in until I almost finished college. Grand turismo 5 and 6 started drawing me into cars outside of drag racing and American muscle, leaving me to try autocross.

What drew you to the Goblin?
My dad owns a powder coating shop and another Goblin owner had brought his chassis for work. After he finished it he brought it back to the shop for us to check out and I rode passenger as my dad drove it. When we got back I told him I was going to build one at some point, and around a year or so later I found a Cobalt that I drove for about 6 months until it was retired.

How does the Goblin fit into your lifestyle? (daily driver, weekend warrior, both)
Both

Tell us about your build. (who did you build it with? where did you build it?)
I built this car mostly with my dad at our house. My friends mostly helped with the Cobalt disassembly and we had many late nights trying to break stubborn bolts loose. I ordered the kit in stages so the moment the second stage came in I was in the shop almost every day trying to get something done.

What, if anything, have you modified on your Goblin that sets it apart from others?
I think I am one of the few that has meth injection but I use it for cooling and cleaning rather than just power benefit.

Do you have any memorable road trips, races or events you've attended in your Goblin?
In the earlier events I would drive the Goblin almost an hour to events on highways and some other people found that entertaining. Racing in Daytona and driving through the tunnels is a different feeling.

Is there a particular aspect of the Goblin—be it the design, performance, or community—that you appreciate the most?
I appreciate all of it. My absolute favorite is probably the performance being a raw car. Having 280-300whp without any help around corners is loads of fun. Recently adding A7s to the mix made me low qualifier at a recent SCCA Solo event and makes the car feel like a different animal.

Finally, do you have any future plans for your Goblin—any upcoming modifications, trips, or events?
At some point I would like to find another turbo just for a little bump in power or wrap the nose. I plan on going to most of my region’s solo events and fighting for top spots now after seeing what the car can do with slicks.