Hub and knuckle

Jason d

Are you trying to find, a hub that matches your drive shaft spline count?
No so the knuckle and hub is a 3 lug, but the axle and hub I’m going to use for the k series is a 4 lug…. I’m wondering if there’s an adapter for that change or am I going to need one fabricated?

Rauq

Goblin Guru
No so the knuckle and hub is a 3 lug, but the axle and hub I’m going to use for the k series is a 4 lug…. I’m wondering if there’s an adapter for that change or am I going to need one fabricated?
I assume you're planning to use a Cobalt rear hub (4 bolt) on the front of your non-Cobalt Goblin. If not... good luck.

The Goblin uses a Cobalt front knuckle and hub (3 bolt) on the rear. I'm not sure if it'd be easier trying to adapt a different hub onto the Cobalt knuckle or to adapt a different knuckle onto the Cobalt LCA/strut. It looks like their new tubular rear subframe uses the Cobalt front hubs as well with custom uprights.

Gtstorey

Goblin Guru
Easiest solution is probably custom driveshafts that use k series inner and cobalt outer. But may not be the cheapest.

Sebnuts

Agree with Gtstorey, a custom driveshaft is your easiest option. You will probably need custom driveshafts anyway, because the lengths of the Honda shafts are most likely not correct either.

Jason d

Honestly don’t know how to go about this, lol
If I’m not mistake won’t the vw hubs have to be a 4 lug knuckle

Dale E

Ah!! The different platforms comes into play.

Options??

1. Use the Cobalt hub bearing with three mount holes - 33 spline count. Then change the outer axle CV joint with a Cobalt outer axle joint to match the 33 splined hub bearing. Your Honda spline count is different. Reference example Youtube.

2. Search your heart out for a 26 spine hub bearing with the Honda 4 bolt mount. Honda, Kia, Mercury, others use different cars have different spline counts for axles and hub bearings. Plug in different makes, years, models of cars on Autozone web site. They will give you a picture of a CV axle with measurements including spline count. Have fun it will take some time.

3. You will probably have to have an adapter made if you want to use what you have. This will change a little the track width - like a wheel spacer would. This may also change your suspension geometry a bit. But, hey, its all adjustable and can be worked around.

Gtstorey

Goblin Guru
I doubt that all 4 hole knuckles are the same. And I don't know how you could make a hub adapter that wouldn't change the required axle length more than the axel will want to extend. So that will take digging for a longer axle or a custom axle. A custom knuckle might be easier.

Jason d

I doubt that all 4 hole knuckles are the same. And I don't know how you could make a hub adapter that wouldn't change the required axle length more than the axel will want to extend. So that will take digging for a longer axle or a custom axle. A custom knuckle might be easier.
I’m trying to reach out to df goblin to see if they can make me custom knuckles, I’m sure the axles I want they can do a custom length shaft as I read in the description

or do an adapter plate with the custom axle shaft

Gtstorey

Goblin Guru
I don't think DF is doing much one off custom work at this point, they have their hands full. Of course, if you throw enough $100 bills at them...

Jason d

I don't think DF is doing much one off custom work at this point, they have their hands full. Of course, if you throw enough $100 bills at them...
They made the subframe for Justin reed to test out and now trying to put that for market, would be smart to do the knuckles if they plan on doing another version that involves a Honda motor

Gtstorey

Goblin Guru
Justin is a little bit of a special case. Think of him as a sponsored racer/tester. But maybe they will be interested.

But even Justin's stuff took several years.

Jason d

does anyone have pictures of the rear hub and knuckle assembles on the goblin, front and back. without a wheel lol

Dale E

Okay, other thoughts going forward.

The Honda has a different wheel track width than the Cobalt. Therefore the axles probably will be different lengths. So, from you first post pictures of parts, the control arms may not be the right length already and you will have to make your own.

I would say, personally, that DF will not do a one off project. Although they did make some axle stuff for the Tesla Electric Goblin. I for sure wouldn't do it since research/development and an unknown workable model could be made with one attempt. $$$$$

Or, use a known other model Honda product and make that work for you. Like the attached link!

And last, make your own subframe and ditch the Cobalt cradle!!

Jason d

Okay, other thoughts going forward.

The Honda has a different wheel track width than the Cobalt. Therefore the axles probably will be different lengths. So, from you first post pictures of parts, the control arms may not be the right length already and you will have to make your own.

I would say, personally, that DF will not do a one off project. Although they did make some axle stuff for the Tesla Electric Goblin. I for sure wouldn't do it since research/development and an unknown workable model could be made with one attempt. $$$$$

Or, use a known other model Honda product and make that work for you. Like the attached link!

And last, make your own subframe and ditch the Cobalt cradle!!
i know ima do custom axles for the right length, and i ordered the tubular subframe., i think ima have a problem with the hub unless i get a custom fab adapter

Sebnuts

If you're already getting custom axles, you should be able to have them put cobalt outer splines on them, which would just bolt up to the DF knucke.