LaunchPad & OldB1's technology demonstrator -09 SS donar- #109

LaunchPad

So this coming Wed OldB1 and I want to attach our painted and Linexed floor pans, We are considering skipping the sealant. Our thoughts were that we can drill out the rivets to take apart if we need to at some point but if sealed those panels will be trash should we ever need to remove the panels.

if the sealant is pretty much for anti-rattle then we are thinking that the Linex lining should dampen much of that- if it really is a strength issue the Linex lining might actually hinder some of the boding between panel and frame and we could just install more rivets.

Has anyone else forgone the sealant step on the floor pans? Were there any negative side effects?

Sebnuts

I used the sealant on the floor pans, but skipped it on the rear firewall. I only have ~50 miles on the car so far, but haven't noticed any rattles back there yet.

LaunchPad

It has been a bit since I updated. . . As of this week our car is now right side up. . . so kind of a milestone there. the week before it was dreadfully cold so that held up a LOT of things and OLDB1 and myself were mostly on the road hauling equipment back to the shop for clean-up. Eventually, we will be selling the equipment to fund our car addiction. Off the top of my head- Miller TIG chiller, Ellis 1800 bandsaw (1-phase), 2ea Scotchman 14" cold chop saws (3 phase- but we may convert to 1 phase before selling)

The concrete was poured on the MR-1 CNC mill per assembly instructions, and it was given 2 weeks to cure due to the cold arriving and pushing the epoxy pour back. last night thru today I burned another pair of kitchen passes in order to get the epoxy poured per the assembly instructions for this mill because we are just about out of acceptable weather till spring for that kind of thing. 72 hours minimum before i can jump on the next assembly step. Assembly of the Goblin is a walk in the park compared to this mill! thumbs up for DF!

Otherwise, we have been cleaning and painting parts so we can bolt something to the Goblin chassis. Our control arms have the MOOG bearings pressed and painted along with the rack and pinion. the foot box and pedals should be painted and assembled this coming wed.

I see that we are approaching the end of our assembly video material- so where lie the directions for the rest of the bits and bobs still needing to be assembled?
20231105_113048.jpg

Last edited:

LaunchPad

oh one thing i almost forgot. . . our rack- per instructions there are turn limiters- no such item in the parts we gathered up nor on any of the inventory lists. the videos show a black set looks to be plastic and an aluminum appearing set.

Are these important? does anyone have a source or drawing?- i am headed off to scout the DF storefront now. . .

Last edited:

Rauq

Goblin Guru
The SS and base model racks are the same ratio, the base model rack just has more travel. Kissing of the control arms and wheels is heavily dependent upon wheel dimensions and alignment, but less likely with an SS rack. I don't need the rack limiters on my setup.

LaunchPad

This past week I have been dreadfully sick with a stomach bug and did not venture very far from the master bedroom until yesterday - our typical wed goblin workday- to tote the painted parts and the packages of new parts just in from DF over to OldB!'s shop for unboxing. I am still very much under the weather but it was exciting to be outside and see the goodies!

So new to the project are the DF coil over kit and the DF shifter upgrade and the unboxing got me sent off with homework to track down instructions for assembly of each. the shifter has an assembly video I already had in my hip pocket but it is kind of incomplete in my opinion because it only shows the bench assembly of the central section and not fitment to the car or connecting to transmission. much more research on my part needed.

Sadly, our unboxing missed the painting party last week and the shifter missed the powder coating by months. guess rattle can black is what it will be. lol

so as to the shifter assembly- the are three tunnel pieces. . . what order are these panels in the car front to back? one has nut rivets that were not on the original tunnel cap for our car and not shown in the video.
20231108_115752.jpg

Attachments

LaunchPad

And just because it is now tied to the assembly of our car and what we are doing with it here is a shot of the MR-1 CNC mill where it stands in the assembly of it.
20231104_174452.jpg

The base and cabinet mods are done and the epoxy is cured now. some cleaning up of the fallout from that effort and the actual mechanical bits and computer control bits can begin to be placed.

LaunchPad

OldB1 has been surfing the internet for Goblin related stuff and he came across Goonzquad's channel on you tube. Even though I feel they are irrelevant to our build . . . .I was asked to track down the DF store link to the spoiler and foot anti-skid material that is unboxed and clearly can be seen to have shipped from DF on this video:

Turning A Salvaged Car Into A Street Legal Race Car Part 10 - YouTube

Does DF still sell these things? Because i am having a heck of a time locating any such items even pulling out some of my best google tricks. lol.

Ark :D

Goblin Guru
OldB1 has been surfing the internet for Goblin related stuff and he came across Goonzquad's channel on you tube. Even though I feel they are irrelevant to our build . . . .I was asked to track down the DF store link to the spoiler and foot anti-skid material that is unboxed and clearly can be seen to have shipped from DF on this video:

Does DF still sell these things? Because i am having a heck of a time locating any such items even pulling out some of my best google tricks. lol.
DF has not sold the spoilers for years, due to QC issues. They only sell the uprights and hardware.

Not sure on the anti-skid material, I just ordered my own from Amazon when I was building.

ah.b.normal

Goblin Guru

Excellent placement of the drawer set in the chassis of the mill. Trying to keep all bits and bobs on the site! It would have been nicer to have the cabinet up higher, off the floor, to not have to bend down and dig in drawers, but sadly not space conscious.

LaunchPad

Excellent placement of the drawer set in the chassis of the mill. Trying to keep all bits and bobs on the site! It would have been nicer to have the cabinet up higher, off the floor, to not have to bend down and dig in drawers, but sadly not space conscious.
The rest of the room has not yet been built up- or even fully wired yet. the mill will move slightly off to the left and rear once fully assembled with the enclosure on it. what is just out of frame is the gantry crane overhead and the control computer screen attached to the righthand wall where the "workbench/desk" will be. Space in my shop is at a premium!! sometimes i have to get pretty clever in my storage solutions.

LaunchPad

Well. it has been quite a bit since our last update- or even working on the Goblin for that matter. Around thanksgiving we had reached a point of work stoppage until the wire harness showed up. and it did, eventually, like the week before Christmas. Then there was the holiday bit to contend with and a bit of an insane snowstorm and a period of temps well below zero. Today was actually the first day back in the shop since thanksgiving! Crazy!

So of course, we got that wire harness laid right on out and started going to town again on our goblin to run into a few CRITICAL issues!

#1 most important is we are missing from our kit parts the front bearing mount of the steering column and the piece for the turn signal stalks to attach and the collar. this circled unit:
missing steering bearing.jpg

LaunchPad

ok our second issue seems to be some interference with the front control arms- we've read on the forum that in most cases it shouldn't interfere after everything is torqued on down. but REALLY? this just dont seem right. The silver spacer has since been relocated to the other side but it did not change the overall issue.
20240131_112352.jpg

Last edited: