My new project

escapepilot

Goblin Guru
I think I'm going to try DynamicEFI's EBL system which gives you the ability to tune without having to get a PROM burned each time. It even has a VE Learn function that will suggest tuning changes. And the price is great, especially when compared to full aftermarket systems.

escapepilot

Goblin Guru
This project is moving slowly due to the Goblin Sale Funding Plan no going according to plan. Picked up a 350 4 bolt block last night to start the engine build. With what I want to do, I figured it would be easier to start from scratch and build it rather than tear down the one in it to find out what I had. Now if we could just get some significant rain across the whole state to calm down the wildfire threat levels, I could actually have time to work on it.

Rttoys

Goblin Guru
Since is not all original and the one in the car is still working, there’s no reason not to do it this way. You can keep driving it while you get ready for the transplant.

are you going to stay tree-fiddy or go all out with a 383?

ah.b.normal

Goblin Guru
Yes, Ls heads!, all you have to do is buy the new block. Kind of a non starter in your case. If your block will easily accept roller cam the roller valve train that will make most all old style 350's feel lame. And there are several late model heads that will make old school Camel Hump 2.02's look bad. The book by David Vizard tells many good and reasonably priced secrets.****** Lately there is much "talk" about flat plane cranks, A customer had us install one in a small block in 87, I think it was Lunati billet crank? I don't recall how it worked out for him, which tells me probably "not good" or "didn't like it". (He was a Corvette nut and spent his daddy's money like water.) I don't know what he was expecting. I recall the engine ran but the results are lost to time. It wasn't my toy so it just looked like a money pit to me, I was a 25 y/o guy just trying to keep his DD's running down the road so I could keep my 2 jobs and didn't end up moving back in with Mom and Dad!

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
If I were building a Gen 1 SB 350, it would use a good set of aftermarket 180-190cc heads, roller rocker arms, a 4/7 - 2/3 swap firing order roller camshaft (makes it the same as the LS firing order), and an EFI on a small runner single plane intake manifold. May not be within your budget, but a 400 HP SB 350 is easily doable that has good low to mid range torque for better street manners.

ah.b.normal

Goblin Guru
If I were building a Gen 1 SB 350, it would use a good set of aftermarket 180-190cc heads, roller rocker arms, a 4/7 - 2/3 swap firing order roller camshaft (makes it the same as the LS firing order), and an EFI on a small runner single plane intake manifold. May not be within your budget, but a 400 HP SB 350 is easily doable that has good low to mid range torque for better street manners.
See? All you had to do is ask! There are almost as many good ways to put together a small block Chevy as there are opinions. Get a pretty good outline of your expectations of this motor, curb weight, Auto or manual, rear gear ratio & tire size and the suggestions will pour in. But some of the basics are roller valvetrain, good timing chain & gears + proper CR, and top end breathing that matches your goals. I like DS's suggestions but they may not be for you? I would stay below 10.5:1, a Q-Jet, 1 5/8" Tri Y headers and a plain ol' HEI, it's has been haulin' the hay for decades! BUT that's just me! There are plenty of brick simple FI systems out there that work like Trojans.

escapepilot

Goblin Guru
Talked to a local race shop this week (previous owner took flight lessons from me and worked on IHRA engines) and came up with a plan. It may take a while for the budget to catch up to the plan, but I'll definitely post info when it progresses.

In the meantime, my son's elementary school ended the week with Flashback Friday. How could I NOT drive him to school in the '57??

Last edited:

escapepilot

Goblin Guru
It’s been a while since I posted any updates to this one.

A deposit has been made at the local engine builder. There is an aluminum head 383 in my future.

A large package from Silver Sport Transmission is on its way with a shiny new TKX and accessories.

FiTech will soon be sending their Ultimate TPI harness and computer to allow use of the TPI intake with SLP runners I found.

A Raingear wiper system is on the way too.

Combine those with the new complete wiring harness and front disc brake conversion and I think that will keep me busy in the shop for several weeks.

Good thing some shop space should be opening up soon.

Rttoys

Goblin Guru
Daymn. That’s gonna be awesome. I always wanted to build a 383. A TPI one is gonna be awesome :cool:

escapepilot

Goblin Guru
The 383 has gotten so common that the price difference between building a 383 or a 350 is minimal if you’re starting with a bare block. The bottom end will be all forged so it will be strong enough for anything.

I’m excited about the TPI. It has its shortcomings, but that was the hot set up in my teenage years. It should look great too.

Rttoys

Goblin Guru
TPI was the best worst thing for its era. :D I loved them and worked on a ton of them back in my dealer days. It was light years ahead of TBI but quickly forgot about when the LT1 came around.

escapepilot

Goblin Guru
Since the Goblin sold, I was hoping to start on the 57 soon.

But a deal came along for some parts I wanted and now I have to do some disassembly and then make room again.