New project / travel vehicle

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
Probably has a 225 slant six now. Does it have a 3 speed column shifter? It was a top line model with all of the windows and may have an automatic transmission - upper class vannin' for sure! :D

Scott #321

Probably has a 225 slant six now. Does it have a 3 speed column shifter? It was a top line model with all of the windows and may have an automatic transmission - upper class vannin' for sure! :D
LOL yes 225 w/3 on the tree but the windows are what appears to be cheap skylight covers cut into the side. It will be restored to a panel with only the rear factory rear door windows when complete.

ah.b.normal

Goblin Guru
Ya Kno, the Eco Tec was mounted N/S in the Solstice/Sky. It could help to have another iteration of the same motor in your herd? Even if it’s a 2.4N/A. That’s part of why small block chevys were so loved, you had one in the van, one in the car, 2 of them in different trucks, one in the farm’s back up generator(Dairy Farm, ya gotta milk those girls or they will get very unhappy!) and one in the field running an irrigation pump. Oh! And one in the Ski Boat. They were everywhere.

Lndshrk Steve

I had one of these with a 3-on-the-tree. You could get it jammed up between 1st and 2nd (probably loose linkage). Had to reach through the grill, I think, to get it unstuck. Left me stranded once.

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
If I remember correctly, the headlight buckets and trim rings came from a '62ish Dart or Valiant and the tail lights and trim rings from a station wagon about that same year.

ah.b.normal

Goblin Guru
Picked up a donor for the powertrain and electronics. Unfortunately I won't have a how to video from Lonny to follow on this one.
Just remember that every connector connects to something! The hard part is deciding what to keep and what to cut away. AND the trick is how to cut it out without killing anything else!,,,,, Don't forget grounds! Ya can't have too many of those!,,,,, Keep that Colorado serial number and a picture of the data plate if you can find it!! Wiring harnesses changed too often to just go by the yearo_O.

ah.b.normal

Goblin Guru
Fixed side windows on those vans were very rudimentary. It may just require you find the original dimensions for the windows and replicate the openings and buy the replacement glass and rubber seal. You might even be able to use the opening size and shape from a late model van, the seals are probably cheaper! One problem for sure will be that newer vans had bigger glass and openings than older vans. Vans did evolve to be more rider friendly as the years went on.

Scott #321

Side windows were cut into the van and were just cheap skylights. I have been replacing rust damaged panels and have already welded in metal to restore the van to its origional windowless cargo configuration. Highway patrol is scheduled by tomorrow to get me registered as the actual owner and aquire a title so I can continue without concern about future title or registration issues.
20240305_181113.jpg

Traé

Picked up a donor for the powertrain and electronics. Unfortunately I won't have a how to video from Lonny to follow on this one.
What engine is in it? I have a canyon with the 2.8l diesel and love it! It’s a stout little engine.

Last edited:

Scott #321

3.6 v6, decided against the 2.0 as I didn't want to be limited to using premium. 300 hp stock and close to that in torque on 87 octane while still having a aluminum block to keep the weight down on the front axle.

Traé

If you have not done so already, research the 8 speed transmission. They have shudder issues due to the torque converter. Some replace it with a RevMax but I believe there's a TSB that replaces the fluid with something different that helps a lot if the torque converter hasn't failed yet.