Rebuilding the DF exhaust system

Rttoys

Goblin Guru
I have had a rattle for some time now inside my muffler. I figure the baffles have come apart at some point and rattling around now. Also at our last few autocross’s they have been doing db checks and I’m over the limit (104db, can’t be higher than 100db). I figure it’s time to see what’s going on inside the muffler.

these look to be similar to a flowmaster, not using baffles, just using chambers to muffle and tune sound. Peaking inside I could see the baffles but couldn’t get them out. One of my co-workers always says “it’s broke, right? Can’t get any more broke.” So I cut the end off. Sure enough, the baffles were detached and the exhaust is basically wide open. Since there’s no good way to weld them back, I bent and pulled the baffles out and decided to see if a flowmaster would match up.

IMG_7387.jpeg
IMG_7388.jpeg

luckily a flowmaster does match. A 40 and 44 series are direct matches, so I chose a 44 series to keep the noise down. Part # 942546
IMG_7458.jpeg

After a bit of measuring, I cut the original muffler and flowmaster to match.

IMG_7461.jpeg
IMG_7462.jpeg

Welded the new muffler in and check for leaks using my evap smoke tester.
IMG_7481.jpeg
IMG_7482.jpeg

Painted it up and installed on the car
before:
IMG_2659.jpeg

After
IMG_7841.jpeg

the sound is quieter and has a much better tine now. Next autocross I’ll see what the db’s are.

Last edited:

PyroGuy923

Did you get a new flange? I've been debating building one from the turbo but am having a hard time finding the proper flange. May just get an aftermarket downpipe and go from there.

Rttoys

Goblin Guru

Robinjo

Goblin Guru
For the muffler replacement it was just a cut and splice of the muffler, to get me by for a while. The new one I’m going to build I did buy a new flange. Got it from zzp.
I just bought the flange from DF. I like ZZP but would rather give my monies to the Doyle's. Since they have been so good to the community I just buy from them unless I have to outsource. I've also been toying with the idea of a new exhaust setup and it's nice to know a Flow Master will fit in there. I'm curious to see what the ZZP box holds. The sound from the stock DF exhaust setup is a little underwhelming (in my opinion).

Rttoys

Goblin Guru
It’s nothing special actually. It’ll be like the one I built out of a motorcycle exhaust, basically straight. I bought a zzp resonator and sound reducer, so buying the flange from them was convenient, plus it’s all stainless. I’ll take a pic of the mock up today or tomorrow.
IMG_7844.jpeg

Robinjo

Goblin Guru
I was thinking something similar. A burnt tip unit normally on an import. Kind of pointed up in the air….

Rttoys

Goblin Guru
This will be part 2. Zzp quiet resonator with sound reducer, welded to a flange. I’m going to cut down the inlet to make it more compact.
IMG_7859.jpeg
IMG_7854.jpeg
IMG_7855.jpeg
IMG_7856.jpeg

jirwin

Goblin Guru
Haha I'm doing the same thing this weekend since my Vibrant setup was waaay too loud. I didnt get the sound reducer though. Hopefully this quiets it down enough, but after seeing it, I doubt it. The way they word it they make it sound like its not straight thru, but apparently it is. Maybe I'll try to do Vibrant and ZZP both.