Sneak Peek - Goblin V2

camonly

It would be interesting if a ls4/f40 could fit in the v2. Or to have the ability to fit a manual gti driveline in it.
Outside of that honda drivelines are probably the best bet imo.
Focus st could work but only one trans option and no factory lsd options.

Are you forseeing any issues with the vaq elsd available in the performance pack gtis?

RickS

Or to have the ability to fit a manual gti driveline in it.
If it isn't offered by the time I'm ready to build, I'll learn how to weld and fab it in myself. That may be our only option depending on how deep down the rabbit hole DF decides to go on this.

Outside of that honda drivelines are probably the best bet imo.
A honda driveline would be pretty cool. TONS of aftermarket support, and their manual transmissions are smoooooooth. well... most of them...

blackhawk867

Hey everyone, I'm new here. Was thinking of finally pulling the trigger on a donor and kit this spring, and now I find out about this V2 coming this year haha. As someone who wants to register it for road use in NY and use it for full track duty, it sounds like the V2 upgrades are going to make much more sense for me... my main concerns are:
  1. How much more expensive is V2 going to be?
    • Donors for MK7 GTI are more expensive than Cobalts, especially for currently running/non-auction ones.
    • A more assembled kit that is already painted and whatnot sounds like it'll be a steep increase due to extra labor
  2. Any sort of timeline for when it will be available? Are we talking Early, Mid, or Late 2024?
Either way, I'm still very excited to build a goblin, and really just trying to weigh the choice between V1 and V2 now.

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
If you're not hard over on building a Goblin (maybe enjoy driving more than building) there are always several built Goblins for sale on the forum and other sites. It wouldn't be the 'blank canvas' that you may be looking for, but could also be the basis for lots of customization. Just putting this out there as an alternative.

But yeah, hard choice to decide if ordering a V1 sooner or waiting for the V2 later - which determines your choice of donor and how much dinero will be spent up front. Please ask questions and read through some build logs for the model (NA, SC, TC) that you're leaning towards - at least for a V1 choice.

G Atsma

Goblin Guru
If you want to buy a built Goblin but miss the blank canvas aspect, get one as plain Jane as possible, then customize at will.
Kinda like buying a totally stock, base trim, 6 cyl stick used car so you can upgrade everything on it the way YOU want it.

blackhawk867

If you're not hard over on building a Goblin (maybe enjoy driving more than building) there are always several built Goblins for sale on the forum and other sites. It wouldn't be the 'blank canvas' that you may be looking for, but could also be the basis for lots of customization. Just putting this out there as an alternative.

But yeah, hard choice to decide if ordering a V1 sooner or waiting for the V2 later - which determines your choice of donor and how much dinero will be spent up front. Please ask questions and read through some build logs for the model (NA, SC, TC) that you're leaning towards - at least for a V1 choice.
It's been a bucket list item for me to build a kit car, so I definitely want to go down the road of building it myself instead of buying someone else's, but I appreciate the insight. I'm not a mechanic so there's a lot I don't know about cars and want to learn as part of this process. I do my own oil changes and brakes, but pretty much everything else I go to a shop for. So I'd definitely be relying on all the build videos, posts, and everything in this forum.

For the V1 donor I was going to go for SC most likely to be a bit cheaper than the TC, as well as less complicated and potentially more reliable especially for track use and not wanting to put it into the wall accidentally. But everything I've seen in this thread for V2 is really making me think that's gonna be the better choice for me, even if it ends up being a bit pricier.

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
Great choices! Yep, fully understand the build aspect of a Goblin - the learning experience and sense of accomplishment. It's a great feeling to tell someone you built your Goblin from the basic parts and made it your own.

Keep posted, believe that Lonny and Adam are supposed to be announcing the V2 particulars before mid-year (hopefully sooner). Yeah, it's going to be a hard choice. ;):D

ah.b.normal

Goblin Guru
It's also great feeling buying one built. LOL :D I am so much more a driver than a builder. This I think is just part of my life with family,work,...
There isn't "a wrong way" to do it! No matter what level your involvement in your Goblin, though maybe it came to you to assemble, you are still modifying "a car" to make it yours! CHEERS!

Gage

I have not combed through all the posts, but it appears the announcement is still forthcoming about what the new donor will be?

c1pz0

Hyundai Veloster Turbo
  • Year : 2013-2019
  • Turbocharged : Yes
  • Base HP : 201 HP
  • Tuned HP (fuel pump, no internal mods) : 250-300
  • Automatic transmission : Yes (6 speeds) Shiftronic
  • Tuning and module support : Yes (several suppliers )
  • Total of (361,251) vehicles were manufactured.
The Frankenstein

Ford EcoBoost 2.0L Turbocharged Inline-4 (2015-2020)
  • Horsepower: 240-245 HP
  • Transmission: 6-Speed Automatic: Yes (2015-2020) - Compatible with: Ford Focus ST, Ford Fusion 2.0T, Ford Escape 2.0T 2.
Hyundai Theta II 2.0L Turbocharged Inline-4 (2015-2020)
  • Horsepower: 210-224 HP
  • Transmission: 6-Speed Automatic: Yes (2015-2020) - Compatible with: Hyundai Sonata 2.0T, Hyundai Veloster Turbo, Kia Optima 2.0T3.
Volkswagen EA888 2.0L Turbocharged Inline-4 (2015-2020)
  • Horsepower: 220-230 HP
  • Transmission: 6-Speed Automatic: Yes (2015-2020) - Compatible with: Volkswagen Golf GTI, Volkswagen Jetta GLI, Audi A3 2.0T 4.
BMW B48 2.0L Turbocharged Inline-4 (2015-2020)
  • Horsepower: 240-250 HP
  • Transmission: 8-Speed Automatic (2015-2020) - Compatible with: BMW 3 Series 2.0T, BMW 4 Series 2.0T, BMW X3 2.0T