Tire Decision

Robinjo

Goblin Guru
I'm trying to decide what to do with my next set of tires, so looking for opinions. I mostly drive on the street and will race maybe 3 or 4 times a year. I can't decide if I should just go with the Toyo R888R or the Bridgestone RE-71RS. Another candidate is the Toyo R1R but I believe the Bridgestone handles better from my autocross friends. I know the R1R's are pretty good from my previous racing days but that was 10 years ago. They used to be the stuff....

Sizes I'm looking at is 245-35/40/45r17.

Gtstorey

Goblin Guru
I'm pleased with my Falken Azenis RT660's on the street and have read that work well for a track tire.

Ross

Goblin Guru
I loved my Toyo R888R, both on the track and street, better (stickier) than the Toyo R1R.
I'm going to try these next: Maxxis Victra RC-1 has 245/45ZR17 and other sizes.

Robinjo

Goblin Guru
My only concern of the R888R’s is longevity of street use. Shouldn’t a 200tw R1R, RE71RS or Rt600-K last twice as long?

Dale E

I don't recommend this time lapse for your Goblins or personal cars. Just what my experience was.

Whatever you like for looks, and reviews for what you will use it for. The Falken 660 are good for street and autocross on a light car. The R888's are too. The Hankook RS4 are good for both and are cheaper. A lot of good tires out there.

Case in point; On my Birkin (Lotus seven replica) which was built in 1999 just got new tires. The rear tires were like new treadwear and were put on in 2008. I had no idea, but the tire store folks told me that my brand new treadwear like front tires were the original 1999 tires. About 16 thousand miles some autocross, Georgia. Tennessee, Arkansas twisting road trips since 2008. The rear were Bridgestone and the fronts were Firestone.

Same situation for the Stalker V6. The tires are 4 years old and still have the little whiskers on the sidewall edges and in the grooves. I'm getting new ones for it also after my weekend trip to Missouri for cruising the roads there. The tires are Goodrich.

I've never had it either car aligned since 2008.

With as light weight as the Goblin is there is no reason a 200 treadwear tire will not last a long time.

Be diligent and buy wisely!!

Robinjo

Goblin Guru
I’m debating over 100tw R888R’s and 200tw R1R, RE-71RS and other 200tw tires. 200 is as high as I want to go.

I do know I don’t particularly care for my Continental Extreme 200tw tires.

My dilemma is if the 100tw tires will last more than a year or so. If the 100tw last almost as long as the 100’s on a Goblin then that’s my toute. If the 200 last a lot longer, then I may want that instead. My Goblin is 90-95% road use.

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
You live in a warmer climate, so a 200TW should work for you for road duty - if your looking for a tire that will 'last'. If track time is just for fun and not for trophies, then the 200TW may suit your needs. Personally, given the circumstances you are stating, I would have 2 sets of tires - one set for road and one for track - but that would just be my preference.

Last edited:

Gtstorey

Goblin Guru
I’m going on two years on mine, but I’ll have dig to see how many miles. Probably will get another year. But I have a square set up and can keep them rotated.

Ross

Goblin Guru
The biggest difference between 200TW tires and 100TW tires is being able to catch a drift before the car does a loop. I can catch most drifts with 100TW tires, and only occasionally catch them with 200TW tires. Maybe your reflexes are better, maybe you don't push your car that far, but to me the stickier tires mean that my car is less likely to loop, and get crunched. Better tires means less likely to get in an accident.

I was paying over a $1000/year on full insurance on my goblin... but I realized that if I get crunched, the local body shop isn't going to fix it, and the insurance company doesn't care about my sentimental value, they are just going to cut me a cheque. I don't want a cheque, I want my car, and I want to stay out hospitals. So I dropped my insurance to about $200/year for uninsured and liability, and spend the extra on tires.

I bought my R888R's in August 2021, I beat the crap out of them and haven't killed them yet. I regularly take people on joy rides, leaving black circles in the back of empty parking lots, full throttle pulls every drive, driven about 5 days a week, occasional autocross raced (Usually use my A7 race tires). This year I noticed the R888R tires have every second treadwear marker at 2/32's of an inch, and the other treadwear markers are at 1/32"... So I am driving these barely treaded tires down to 1/32", and getting every smile I can out of them... My new Maxxis tires are here, waiting for me, but I'm having too much fun killing the old R888Rs.

Last edited:

Robinjo

Goblin Guru
@Ross , that’s great information. Do you know how many miles you have on the Toyo’s? It sounds like your driving situation might be kind of close to mine.

What’s up with the Maxxis tires? I’ve not heard if them.

Rttoys

Goblin Guru
I’m with Ross on this. After Spinout after spin out after spinout at autocross, I knew I had to step up my tire game. I went with the r888r’s and don’t regret it for a second. Like Ross said, I can drift and recover easily and really don’t worry about full on washout anymore. I have only spin out twice at autocross since I started using them 2 1/2 years ago (3000 miles or so). That peace of mind outweighs the cost and longevity of the tire. Coming from the motorcycle race world, this is a small cost to ensure my safety. Hell, on my ducati, I kill a rear tire every track day (100 miles). But I don’t worry about the bike stepping out from under me.

I’m getting about 1500 miles on my r888r’s, but that’s with 10-15 autocross days, 1 track day or so and somewhat aggressive street driving. I would think, 100* temps from June to October help with the quick wear. I have a set of new rear tires that I need to put in soon. Once I wear them out I’ll change to something else just to see how others feel. I only talk about the r888r’s because that’s what I have experience with. If you use a website to get tires, ones like trackdaytire, you can sign up to be sponsored. This gives you discounts and specials, plus their shipping is smoking fast. Just a small plug for them.

Joebob

Goblin Guru
Just looking around and saw this:

Seems to be only for this size but makes a hell of a deal.

Joe

kurbkilla

Just looking around and saw this:

View attachment 40904

Seems to be only for this size but makes a hell of a deal.

Joe
I have these tires on my car. For the street they seem okay. I'm going to the track with them next week. I did spin once on a VERY tight u-turn and it seemed to happen without warning. But I haven't really tested the limit of it.

Ross

Goblin Guru
@Ross , that’s great information. Do you know how many miles you have on the Toyo’s? It sounds like your driving situation might be kind of close to mine.

What’s up with the Maxxis tires? I’ve not heard if them.
See post #3 above... I have not heard of the Maxxis Victra RC1 before either, but I have a set of 275's here, and will try them. 100TW.
I should have logged the mileage when I bought my Toyo's... but I don't know how many miles or skids are on them.

Robinjo

Goblin Guru
See post #3 above... I have not heard of the Maxxis Victra RC1 before either, but I have a set of 275's here, and will try them. 100TW
Ah I completely missed that as I saw ‘slicks’ and moved on! Maybe one day I’ll have both race and street wheels. A boy can dream….

Ross

Goblin Guru
The Maxxis are my new 100TW street tires, just as the R888R are my current 100TW street tires.
Since I don't drive in the rain, I didn't see the need for many water moving groves in my tread.
I will need to be careful going thru puddles, but the same holds true for the R888R tires.

The Hoosier A7's race tires have a treadwear rating of 40, as does the Toyo Proxes RR... which looks pretty much the same as the Maxxis tire, but with the softer rubber that makes racing fun.

Hoosier A7:
Toyo Proxes RR:
Maxxis Victra RC1:
Toyo R888R:

I like the look of the wide tires on a goblin, but if you are trying to get your tires into the correct heat range for maximum traction, you probably shouldn't be going with 275mm wide tires on a goblin. Here is some good info on optimal tires sizes.

Last edited:

Robinjo

Goblin Guru
I don’t plan to get caught in rain but have twice, one of which was a down pour. In Alabama, rain is ALWAYS on the menu (unfortunately).