Advice for Autocross Beginners

jamesm

Goblin Guru
Hey all. We're going to (hopefully) attend our first autocross event in May. I've been reading through all the newbie pages I can find but I wanted to ask here too.

What advice would you give to a new person that's racing for the first time? What things should I watch out for?

Rttoys

Goblin Guru
Well, number 1 rule is to watch out for cones. :D

Seriously. Take it easy and have fun. Get a helmet, get there, lower tire pressure and get a feel of the lay of the land. Everyone is usually helpful to point you in the right directions for sign in and assignments and such. Do the track walk and hopefully they will have a “new driver’s” walk with an instructor. Figure out your lines and go over them in your head. Hopefully you will do corner work first, so you get a better idea how the track and cars go.

When it’s your time to run, Follow the instructions by the pit marshals and have fun. Ramp up incrementally. Make the first run at a comfortable pace. If you goof, oh well, it’s no big deal. Try again on the next one. Get faster and faster as the day progresses, but stay comfortable.

You’ll be classified as E Mod in novice class. This will have a “pax” to it. Like a handicap in golf. Don’t worry about all this and just go have fun.

Bring some tools (air gage, hand tools), sunscreen, food and drinks with you. It’ll be a long day.

Oh and have fun.

Rttoys

Goblin Guru
Here’s a thread I started for us Houston guys running autocross. Feel free to jump in.

Ross

Goblin Guru
I'm prepping for this Saturday. Last year I made the mistake of putting on new brand of tires and running them too low on air pressure. I should of had some road time on them before the track time. Sun tan lotion, sun glasses, hat, water, folding chair. What autocross event are you going to?

Rttoys

Goblin Guru
Nope. All they will ask is to try and move the battery, to show it is secure. I just reach under the hood and attempt to move it. Since everything else is exposed and you have TBW, it’s all easy for them to do.

They will be in awe just looking at it, so you’ll be fine.

jamesm

Goblin Guru
All they will ask is to try and move the battery, to show it is secure
Ok. I'll have to see if I can reach the battery with the hood on. I'm really hoping I don't have to remove any panels, they are such a pain the ass to take them on and off...

Rttoys

Goblin Guru
Ok. I'll have to see if I can reach the battery with the hood on. I'm really hoping I don't have to remove any panels, they are such a pain the ass to take them on and off...
I have never had to. Hell, reach under in the general area and push on the frame or something. I didn’t say that out loud.......

jamesm

Goblin Guru
TBF, I'm probably grossly overthinking the whole process. I'm used to dealing with IT people that look for all kinds of things to block projects from moving forward so they don't have to do any work......

Rttoys

Goblin Guru
Ya. It’s a pretty simple process. They just make sure you are “safe”. They are not going to ask for a full breakdown. Basically, as long as the battery is properly secured and nothing else looks out of place, you’ll be fine. Like I said, they will be more in awe just looking at it, than anything.

ccannx

Goblin Guru
I would suggest you reach out to the event organizer beforehand to ask. Most people in this sport are supportive and friendly. I have gone to autocross venues I'm not familiar with and even being a regular miss important inconsistencies between clubs.

Show up early and volunteer to help with anything you can.. Bring a helmet if you have one. Print out the schedule from the event or website page to make sure you know what to do like when the gates open, tech inspection open/ close registration, and check in. Bring blue painters tape for numbers. Ask questions and try not to be put off if some people seem unfriendly they may have shown up late and are in a hurry

Don't forget to leave your ego at home.

jamesm

Goblin Guru
I'm already in contact with the organizers as there was a question about whether or not they were going to allow new members due to COVID stuff. They seem nice enough so I'm hopeful there won't be any issues there.

Bring blue painters tape for numbers.
Help me understand this bit. I get I need an identification number and the class visible but how are the numbers determined? Are they issued at an event? Do you register it somewhere? Roll the dice?

Waterdriver

Goblin Guru
For your numbers, it depends on the club. Could be onsite during registration.
Our club happens to use an online site to register your car to a number.
With COVID, both event and car registration might be online only.
I would either check the club's website or just give them a call back.

ccannx

Goblin Guru
Most clubs can assign the number to you during registration either online or when you walk up in person.

Our local club is able to change numbers at the event, but this requires us to go in look you up and assign or change your number on the timing computer to one that is not already assigned. This is not a big deal but if there are 150 walk ups it can really slow things down.

The numbers need to be large and easy to read (at least 10 inches) to be visible from across the course

jamesm

Goblin Guru
Now I’m concerned that my side panels will be too visually noisy as they have airplane numbers.

I think I’ll include a photo of the car when I contact the organizer about to number registration and get their take.

Rttoys

Goblin Guru
Don’t over think it. This is not an F1 race.

You said it was a scca event. They require an 8” number with 4” letters for your class. this is something you will register beforehand. Mine is 82 and our class is “em”. You’ll be a novice so you’ll be “NEM”. I made some plates out of plexiglass, I zip tie to the frame and stuck numbers and letters to them. See pic of how we 3 do it.

Attachments