Ark's City Goblin #187 (2008 SS/TC donor)

Ark :D

Goblin Guru
Thanks for all the input guys.

I just ordered my brake prop kit, and earlier this week I ordered a new wall-wart-size battery tender with the SAE connector and ring terminal extension for the battery. Also ordered a set of 12v LED strips for the interior of the car, to act as a "courtesy light" when I or others need light to find dropped items, etc.

Goblin Guru
Received my brake prop kit yesterday. Thanks for the fast shipping DF. I'll get it installed soon, hopefully.

I also received and installed the battery tender ring terminal/SAE extension. I've got my tender hooked up to it now, works like a charm. The tender I bought may be too small for car batteries though, not sure yet. We'll see. This will be a lot more convenient than putting the car up on jacks stands for the winter and removing the hood. That just makes it hard to drive the car at a moment's notice, you know?

Like yesterday. It was a beautiful 73 degrees and sunny here so I prepped the car and took it to work for its first drive of 2023. Ahhh, I missed this machine over the last 4 months. I already managed to have one encounter with a jerk. I grabbed milkshakes for my family from McD's on my way home from work and there was a lunkhead laying rubber all over the place near where I parked. He drove around the McD's several times and when I came back out from grabbing the shakes, he was parked in the parking lot across the road from me. He took off, laying more rubber, etc.

Hey man, you do you, but tires are expensive.

Last edited:

Rttoys

Goblin Guru
It won't take much charger to maintain the charge, but it might not be able to catch it back up if it is drained. To some extent you are just trying to overcome the parasitic draw that newer cars have.
This. It’ll be fine maintaining, but may struggle trying to come up from near dead.

i know the maintainers are supposed to monitor voltage and charge when need be, but I found it’s always a good idea to unplug and plug them back in every few weeks or so. This keeps check on the maintainer.

Gtstorey

Goblin Guru
This. It’ll be fine maintaining, but may struggle trying to come up from near dead.

i know the maintainers are supposed to monitor voltage and charge when need be, but I found it’s always a good idea to unplug and plug them back in every few weeks or so. This keeps check on the maintainer.
I do the same. Of course I can usually get everything driven every couple of weeks.

Goblin Guru
Changed it up again, for 2023.

20230604_174220.jpg

20230604_174251.jpg

Also added the brake prop valve (what a difference), added some courtesy lighting in the footwell, finally added a diode to prevent the delayed shut-off from the intercooler fan, and further adjusted the camber in the back.

Next up, I am finally getting around to cleaning out the garage. I'll probably have a few extra Goblin bits that I'll post here in Classifieds, when the time comes.

I don't post here or read here anymore, so if anyone needs anything, the best way to reach me is PM's.

Goblin Guru
So I've made a slow return to the forum; easing back in, as it were. Hopefully for years to come, but time will tell.

On-topic .... Goblin #187 left me sit for the first time ever, tonight. I went to a local Sheetz on my lunch hour to grab a salad, and when I came back out, ignition went "click" and noooothing. So I caught a ride back to work, finished my shift, and asked my father-in-law for a ride and a little muscle. The tow bar came in handy tonight, let me tell ya.

I've had the car trickle-charging for a little while now, so hopefully it'll start up so I can pull it into the garage and not leave it outside overnight. Will get a new battery at the next opportunity (assuming that's the issue).

Goblin Guru
Start problem was simply a loose positive battery terminal. All good now.

Next up, minimally learning what I can/can't do with this MPVI2. I don't have the credits yet. Can I use it to determine if there's a custom tune on this car, without actually buying credits first?

Joebob

Goblin Guru
Start problem was simply a loose positive battery terminal. All good now.

Next up, minimally learning what I can/can't do with this MPVI2. I don't have the credits yet. Can I use it to determine if there's a custom tune on this car, without actually buying credits first?
Yes, you can pull the tune to the computer, change anything you want, scan till the cows come home and pull and clear trouble codes...all without credits. You only need credits to write a tune to an ECM.

Joe

Gtstorey

Goblin Guru
Download a stock tune from hpt repository and compare to your read tune. There are tools in hpt editor to open both files and it will tell show you the difference.

make sure you have a good battery and turn off as much as you can. The LNF may hold the record for how long it takes to read the file. I think it was about 20 minutes or so.

Make sure you save a backup of your original file in several places and maybe email it to your self and post on here as further backup.

Goblin Guru
HOLY CRAP.

So I acquired a mild tune file for my SS/TC from another forum member some time back (thanks again!). Since my donor car came with the GM Performance badging, I already had 3-bar MAP sensors and since it's a mild tune, there was no need to upgrade any other parts. Perhaps later in time, I'll wade further into the adventure that is "more powaaarrrrr!!!" but for now, this is as far as I am going to take things.

I kept my stock throttle sensitivity in 1st gear for drivability reasons, but left everything else in the tune file as I received it. It's a mild but very noticeable increase in power, and the engine seems to idle better and run better overall. The extra power is particularly noticeable in 2nd gear (the "knock your teeth out" gear) and 4th gear (helps the car accelerate better at 60+ mph than before, overcoming some of that poor aero).

All for $0 (aside from the tuner and credits purchase, of course). A highly-recommended improvement!!

Last edited: