Brake Line Fittings

jirwin

Goblin Guru
Does anyone know the size and type of the brake lime fittings? Video shows 12mm for the lines, and 10/14mm for the master IIRC. Looking to install a line lock and will be needing to make some custom lines

Rttoys

Goblin Guru
From my notes

Lines 3/16”
m10x1.0 nut metric or European
Bubble flare everywhere but master
Master double flare or called standard flare

This is early model. Late model the front master is M8 fitting I think and impossible to find. Same lines though.

Last edited:

Ross

Goblin Guru
DF has them on their brake proportioning valve lines... so somebody has to sell them brake line fittings.
Late models have the M12 fittings, while early models have the M10, from what I read on the DF Store.
Maybe this one? Brake Master Cylinder, M12 x 1mm threads, 3/16 in. Fitting Size

Rttoys

Goblin Guru
You are correct, they are different; m10 and m12 (I looked at my notes further). As I stated before, the master connection is a standard or also called double flare. The only fittings I could find when I was making brake lines for the prop valve was a bubble flare. This is what Df uses, it “works” but not technically correct. You do have choices though. You can go to the scrap yard and cut the fittings off the line at the master or buy bubble flare nuts and use a drill bit to concave the end so a standard flare will work (This is what I did).

IMG_7975.jpeg

Last edited:

Gtstorey

Goblin Guru
I haven’t really followed this thread closely so a little lost on what fittings are being looked for, but the first internet search I tried shows belmetric.com has double flare nuts in 10 and 12 mm. They only list it for metric line size but 4.75 mm is very close to 3/16 line.

Rttoys

Goblin Guru
Yep, it’s listed as either/or. This is one of the lines I was buying at autozone. I would cut it and make a double flare where needed

Rttoys

Goblin Guru
The line being 3/16” or 4.8mm. It’s the same size as shown on the tag I posted.

this is the same stuff I went through when I was making the prop valve lines. Cobalt is mm and Df is sae, but it really didn’t matter because 3/16” is interchangeable with 4.8mm lines.

Adam

Administrator
Staff member
The lines that go from the master cylinder to brake tees use three different fittings and which ones you need depend on the donor trim and not the year. Early base model and late base model use the same lines.

M10 x 1.0 invert flare (left in photo) - base model donors, SS/SC donors, and some 2.4 liter donors
M14 x 1.0 invert flare (middle in photo) - all donors use at least one of these but SS/TC donors and some 2.4 liter donors use two of these
M10 x 1.0 bubble flare (right in photo) - used on all master cylinder lines regardless of donor. The brake tees use bubble flare because the tees are old school parts from VW

To put it another way, here are the only master cylinder to brake tee lines we produce (we used to make a shorter rear master cylinder line for standard length cars but don't anymore):
  • S42B Brake line, MC front - M10 IF x M10 BF for base, SS/SC, and some 2.4 donors
  • S42C Brake line, MC front, TC - M14 IF x M10 BF for SS/TC and some 2.4 donors
  • S42G Brake line, MC rear - M14 IF x M10 BF for all Goblins regardless of donor type
I'll add all three tube nuts to the store on Monday.