Car started tapping very loud when cranked

Zoom Zoom

Goblin Guru
When I started goblin this morning it was making a loud tapping noise. I went for short drive and it makes loud noise when giving throttle and shifting. I blew the head gasket on this ZZP engine and fixed that and probably put a 150 miles on it and it ran good, So I don’t know why it started this all of a sudden. Any great ideas or suggestions appreciated . Thanks for all the help as always Showed turbo waste gate sensor, And running lean at idle
I will try and do a video tomorrow

Gtstorey

Goblin Guru
And only doing it while driving? If it's doing it all while sitting still, you might use an automotive stethoscope to narrow it down.

Zoom Zoom

Goblin Guru
And only doing it while driving? If it's doing it all while sitting still, you might use an automotive stethoscope to narrow it down.
Yes I did that and it sounds like it’s coming from under valve cover , and it does do it all the time just louder when rev it up

Desert Sasqwatch

Bigfoot Goblin
Back side of the valve cover? Did you check at the exhaust manifold? Loud 'tapping' could be an exhaust leak - makes.lots of racket under acceleration/driving and not much noise at idle. Would also throw off the O2 sensor and could create a lean condition.

Zoom Zoom

Goblin Guru
Hoping that is it and its just an exhaust leak!

Nuker-
I hope so I found the bolt in my driveway after the fact, So here shortly we will see . luckily when I bought the race goblin off of KLM He had a bunch of other stuff I bought also and I’m pretty sure I have a bolt for the exhaust.

UPDATE
OH MY GOD ! I can’t believe that one little bolt falling out made all that noise! All the codes are gone except EVAP of course.
I went to order a KO4 Exhaust Manifold from ZZP ( THAT ONE HOLE WAS STRIPPED ) but they are out of stock, So I will look elsewhere.
Thanks for all the help guys

Attachments

Last edited: