Critter's #374 Extended Frame Track - 07 SS/SC donor build

Critter

Finally got a chance to work on the Goblin yesterday with a buddy of mine. Going together pretty easily. Only issues so far include a stud spinning on the fuel tank, and I can't for the life of me find those little hoses that connect to the breather tube on the fuel tank. Here are some pics of the progress along with the new Summit Racing wheels (15x10 114.3) that showed up yesterday too. Hoping to see the Nankang AR-1 tires (275/35-15) in the coming days as well. I have a short video on Instagram that my buddy shot - here is the link to that as well.

Attachments

Robinjo

Goblin Guru
Best advice for tear down I can give you is label everything. And I’m sure someone will (me) point out don’t forget the grab the parking brake tubes and cables
Can't stress this enough. I didn't and it cause a bunch of concerns. And label bolts, especially the subframe bolts and the seat bolts as they get used later.

Critter

Can't stress this enough. I didn't and it cause a bunch of concerns. And label bolts, especially the subframe bolts and the seat bolts as they get used later.
Investment in Ziploks and black Sharpies are a worthy endeavor here....
Don't forget the post it notes. I have all my hardware nice and labeled, I think what happened was the video for the fuel filler neck tells you to use the hose from the K22F hardware bag. My K22F bag did not have that piece of hose in it and did not have it listed on the inventory either. Not a big deal at all as I will just pickup some hose from the local parts store.

Torchandregdoc

Goblin Guru
Finally got a chance to work on the Goblin yesterday with a buddy of mine. Going together pretty easily. Only issues so far include a stud spinning on the fuel tank, and I can't for the life of me find those little hoses that connect to the breather tube on the fuel tank. Here are some pics of the progress along with the new Summit Racing wheels (15x10 114.3) that showed up yesterday too. Hoping to see the Nankang AR-1 tires (275/35-15) in the coming days as well. I have a short video on Instagram that my buddy shot - here is the link to that as well.
OH man, I'm really liking the wheels.

Torchandregdoc

Goblin Guru
How did I not see this until now? Gotta update my notifications I guess. I appreciate the offer, but I think I will be good.
I read somewhere on the DF site that DF has the forum set up to send email notifications, and when you don't click the link from your email, it quits sending notifications regarding that user. I know it's set up like that to prevent them from sending emails that people don't want, but I don't get notifications from any one now. I have to go to the website and look for notifications there.

Critter

Remove the fuel pump and tighten the stud - thru bolt to the inside of the tank actually. Easy-peasy! :D
Yeah, about that. Sooo, new style tank is plastic and not the aluminum style. Personally, I like the plastic version because I plan on running E85, but it has pressed in threaded inserts. To make it more of an issue the nuts that came with the kit were the wrong thread pitch and were cross threaded when a buddy tightened them down. So now I have two inserts that spin, one of which still has the stud loctited in it. Stopped for the day, don't want to be frustrated with the project.

Ross

Goblin Guru
Epoxy back in some new Wood Insert Nuts? Of course you will need the right threads, but they look something like this:

Or better yet, Threaded Heat Set Inserts for 3D Printing

Critter

Epoxy back in some new Wood Insert Nuts? Of course you will need the right threads, but they look something like this:
View attachment 35568View attachment 35569
Or better yet, Threaded Heat Set Inserts for 3D Printing
View attachment 35570
Thanks for sending me those. I was considering epoxying in ones for wood. Having someone else suggest it gives me confidence it will work. Gonna heat up the ones in there and see if I can pull them out

Critter

Good day today. Got the front suspension all put together with a buddy of mine. Only issue was the new steering rod end I bought....but a cutoff wheel and some angst helped remedy the problem. Here is a pic of those skinny front tires I bought. Gonna spend the next week cleaning up the garage and a couple other little things on the car, then onto finishing the front end.

Attachments

Critter

Headlights/mirrors, and radiator assembly installed thanks to my buddy. Big thanks to Adriana for getting me the missing fan so quickly!!!! Also, as a tip - I used my old metal level and some clamps to make sure the headlights were both pointing straight forward and parallel. Worked awesome.
Additionally, I finally got the engine off the floor and onto an engine stand so I could pressure wash it. It came out pretty nice.
PXL_20220925_175017322.jpg
PXL_20220922_145059046.jpg
PXL_20220925_175035544.jpg

Critter

Finished wiring the headlights this afternoon and relocated the brake/clutch reservoir. Threw away the 45 degree elbows, ordered some 90's to replace them as well as some other hardware to reduce lines etc. Not impressed with how this is all plumbed together at all....just asking for leaks and issues. I am also going to design a bracket that raises the reservoir and slides it back towards the gauge cluster. Once I have it all finished I will share the file so everyone can use it.
PXL_20221006_225348268.jpg

Last edited:

k.rollin

Goblin Guru
I had leaks from the barbed remote reservoir fittings, where the nylon tubing slid over the barbs. A couple of -4AN lines took care of the leaks for not much money.

Last edited:

Critter

Thanks for reaching out! Sorry for not posting much in '23. #374 has been "complete" since last spring when I took it to a local autocross event. The eyeball alignment made it very sporty. Had all kinds of issues with the radiator hoses failing but it was still a successful first event overall.

Fixed a dozen little things over the summer and got an alignment done before twent back out at the end of November for another autocross day. The car was much, much faster and more predictable without its cross-eyed alignment from before. Still had what if feel is a bit too much understeer so I have added the rear sway bar to see what that does. Along the way I found a small leak in the intercooler tubes that go the the front of the car so I pulled them out and am finishing up installing some 3/4" hoses. Also bought a small reservoir to put in line and replaced the ZZP intercooler pump that I realized was dead in November.

The car is insane. It's a real learning curve to figure out how to drive, but has been good overall. I will be out for more autocross on Sunday, and then the track day in a couple of weeks at the LVMS Outside Road Course.

Here are some pics.

Justin
signal-2023-11-27-22-15-36-930.jpg
signal-2023-11-26-14-25-00-065-4.jpg
signal-2023-11-26-14-25-00-065-3.jpg