Desert Sasqwatch #155 Track (mods) - 08 SS/TC crate LNF F40

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
Fighting a bout of gout - I hate getting old. :( Was ambulatory enough to get a couple small (busy) things done tho...

Minor safety item: modified the passenger side foot rest to add a side rail on its left edge to help keep a passengers foot away from the gas pedal (that is only 4 inches to the left and there is no center tunnel to keep their foot on their side of the footwell). It's not going to prohibit not keeping a foot on the passenger side, but it will help - and it has speedholes. ;)
20240106_125757.jpg
20240106_125808.jpg

Next was getting new rear edge of the hood latches and the pin mounts fabbed and welded in. The two button latches on each side are at 90 degrees to each other to minimize the inherent play in the latches to lessen any movement/rattling of the hood. This is in anticipation of further hood modifications.
20240107_153436.jpg
20240107_153828.jpg
20240107_153837.jpg
20240107_153925.jpg
20240107_153939.jpg

Nothing else better to do on a cold (40 degrees) and rainy winter day in the desert. Only 5 more weeks until Spring tho...:D:cool:

Classy

I know what I would do, angle the radiator the opposite direction and have dedicated ducting out of the hood with louvers. That way you can make it flat bottom without compromise and heat extraction would be better.

it would also cut some weight out

Jareth

Goblin Guru
Wish I had ability to do what you did to windshield mount, regardless of the weight savings I like how it would look. :)

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
Robert, I've got pretty good at speedholes, not as hard as it can seem to be. Are you not using the DF bottom frame? Did the local regulations require a DOT windshield? I bet with some creative thinking even one of those could get the Racer X treatment and up the cool factor! ;):cool:

Gtstorey

Goblin Guru
Sort of a random post, but on the subject of windshield frames, I found that raising my driver side only windshield about 1/2"-3/4" allowed some very helpful cooler air under the windshield without being annoying. It would probably take a custom frame or welding extensions to the stock frame though. It might be possible to drill matching holes in the windshield, but I don't know if it would weaken it to much.

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
Yes, I have the stock windshield bracket. When you referred it to a frame I was not sure what you were describing.
Easy peasy. Draw a line centered on the frame face end to end (I measured the frame width at multiple points to ensure the line is centered). Then measure the width between the small mounting holes for the windshield (not the frame tabs) and divide by 5, since there are 4 holes in each section. This value is the center of each hole spaced out onto the centerline mark. Center punch the marks to help align the drill bit and make some holes. Mine are 1 inch diameter and have a minor chamfer on the lip. Recommend a drill press to make better looking holes. Removes about 11 ounces of weight, but ups the cool factor by a lot. :p:cool:

Last edited:

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
Sort of a random post, but on the subject of windshield frames, I found that raising my driver side only windshield about 1/2"-3/4" allowed some very helpful cooler air under the windshield without being annoying. It would probably take a custom frame or welding extensions to the stock frame though. It might be possible to drill matching holes in the windshield, but I don't know if it would weaken it to much.
Drilling matching holes in the windshield to align with the frame speedholes is a thought, but you're probably correct about weakening the bottom of the plexi. Besides, I have my cold air plenum in my hood that will dump cooler air into the footwell area, but having some extra air a little higher up might not be a bad thing. I'll have to think about your idea of raising the windshield...

Or maybe something like this motorcycle windshield vent?
But would still have to cut a hole (or two) in the windshield. :rolleyes:

Gtstorey

Goblin Guru
I think there have been a few on here that have added ATV windshield vents into there windshields. I thought about that, but since I only have a driver seat in my Goblin, I just went with a summer setup of one sided windshield. This allows more air to my heat exchanger and since I was making a new mount anyway I raised the windshield.

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
After missing nearly the last couple weeks - my wife had surgery and my gout hit me with a vengeance - I'm back in the garage. :D

Continuing with my hood project, I added new brackets that will bolt to the bottom corners just in front of the front lower suspension mounts. Of course these have speedholes! There's plenty of clearance between the brackets and the lower frame rail end for the radiator coolant fittings.
20240119_084810.jpg
20240119_130137.jpg

Edit: inside the hood pic:
20240119_133835.jpg

Working on a couple more support brackets, then figure out how to get the donor hood hinges mounted and attached to the hood without a bunch of bolt heads showing. Some two-part epoxy and fiberglass work is in my future. ;)

BTW, the second most used tool in my garage - behind my drills - stopped working. The brushes were worn to nubs. $2.50 at Ace Hardware and I'm back to grinding my mediocre welds again! :p
20240118_150938.jpg

Last edited:

Torchandregdoc

Goblin Guru
How have you kept the flash rust off of that frame. I know it's dry in Phoenix , but no more dry than Vegas and mine was rusted in 9 months.

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
Hey Jim, good to hear from you! It's got some surface rust, but nothing bad. Worst spots are from a sweaty palm or forearm that I didn't wipe off and it leaves some interesting looking rust patterns. :oops:

Hope your doing well. I see you on the forum every once in a while. Have you been hitting the track with your Goblin? I've still got a ways to go before I'll be ready to road trip to Kingman (about halfway) and we can get together some day! ;)

Torchandregdoc

Goblin Guru
For some reason I've never understood, the forum quit giving me notifications via email. Once in a while one comes through and I'll comment here or there.

I haven't done much with the Goblin over the last 6 months. All of my kids moved out and and haven't found anyone with as much interest as they had. It's an all day job for me to pull street tires and switch to the A7's , pull the windshield , drop the antifreeze from the inner cooler and go to water, and switch tunes for the track , from the wheelchair . We raced last in August. Pulled 1 10.2 and a slough of 10.8's. When it was all done I couldn't find the 10.2 slip, so I guess drag racing has something in common with fishing.

I put on a bigger inner cooler but haven't documented it on the forum or raced it yet. Our IAT at the traps was 273 on the stock cooler with an ice box. Hoping it will be better now . It was pulling so much spark that it would only gain 25 mph in the last 8th. I want to do one sub 10 before they boot me for no license .

I'm looking forward to doing a road trip with both Goblins too.

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
I finished up fabbing the second set of brackets and got them welded onto the radiator support. Yes, there is a method to my madness on this, all has to do with the extensive hood modification I'm working.
20240120_155253.jpg
20240120_155429.jpg
20240120_141125.jpg

For those who haven't seen it from far earlier in my build log, that open slot in the front of the flat part of the under side in the top of my hood is the cold air plenum that will vent into the footwell to keep my toes, ankles and knees cooler - at least that's the plan. ;)

BTW, the nose is now far stronger than a sasqwatch standing on it with no deflection - bonus! :D Did this for the inevitable person who will think the nose of my Goblin is a good place to park their butt - it won't break now, not like their nose if I catch them.
BvRV.gif

More to come on the hood.