Dual Heat Exchangers

Robinjo

Goblin Guru
Let see photos of where you’ve put a secondary heat exchanger for the supercharged setup. Trying to get some ideas.

Dsteinhorst

I supercharged a 2.2 after build, so I put mine behind the passenger. It has a fan on the back pulling air through. You could easily use this as a secondary location.
Screenshot_20230826_125133_Gallery.jpg

Rauq

Goblin Guru
I only have one A2W but it's been mounted here the whole time. Stock DF hx and fan. It maintained <130°F IAT2s on track with a stock pulley. When I added a turbo, I added a duct to the hx as well. Still <130°F IAT2s with a 2.9" pulley and 16psi/100°F IAT1s (after the A2W, before the throttle body) when twincharged (the SC is being bypassed when the turbo's making boost).

Chubbs

I put mine behind the passenger seat (poor photo, but it's visible there).

It doesn't work well. With the stock hx up front, iat temps would get to about 150f. It heat soaked with the radiator coolant temp as the heat from the radiator got to it. After adding the second hx in the rear iat temps are still about 150f. It gets a ton of engine heat. I have not yet added a fan, but plan to. Hopefully it'll work better with some fan help.

Attachments

jirwin

Goblin Guru
I'm working on something that I'll hopefully be posting here in a couple weeks. Hold me accountable lol.

Basically, side pods with cheaply available parts that are attachable to any frame with no modification. That's the goal anyway.

jirwin

Goblin Guru
I'm working on something that I'll hopefully be posting here in a couple weeks. Hold me accountable lol.

Basically, side pods with cheaply available parts that are attachable to any frame with no modification. That's the goal anyway.
As promised here is what I am working on:

Growing up as a kid I made a lot of stuff out of PVC pipe because it was cheap and versatile. I figured it would be a good fit for this project, at least as a "Version 1" setup. The plan is basically to use coated clamps to attach this PVC structure to each side of the frame. Attachment points and weird angled PVC joints are 3D printed. The radiators are off of a DRZ400. I have one, and one of the reasons I love is is because it was made for 20 years so all the parts are dirt cheap. A pair of were ~$60-70. They also perfectly fit 120mm PC fans. I will be putting a couple old 120mm static pressure optimized fans on there to start. Not as good as the 7" "stock" heat exchanger fan, but because of the location it should still be an improvement. To make it look acceptable, I plan on covering the side and top with a bent piece of sheet metal - similar to the side panels. Then the front will get some sort of mesh to protect/hide the radiator. The whole thing will be plumbed into the heat exchanger loop (in parallel probably), eliminating the front "stock" heat exchanger's heat soak issues.

Mattc3366

Is your setup just one unit in the rear or do you also have the stock DF unit in the front?
I had both hooked up before but bypassed the front and there was no negative effects from it so it’s been un hooked ever since then