Gearjammer’s City Goblin – 06 SS/SC G85

gearjammer

Hello
My name is Steve. I am a mechanical engineer working as an engine calibration engineer for the company that makes the ECM used with the LNF. I plan to use my Goblin for cruising. I have always lightly tinkered with my daily drivers. My favorite was a supercharged 2005 Acura RSX Type-S. Since then my vehicles have become larger, more fuel efficient and more...family friendly (currently driving a 2012 2.4L Malibu). My wife finally agreed that I needed a project car just for fun. Everything that interested me was too expensive (late model Corvettes, Camaros, ATS-V). We also though I might get bored too quickly with a vehicle that was already “finished” for the most part. One day I read about Factory Five’s 818 project. It sounded like a lot of fun, but the donor and kit costs was too much for me. Only three months ago did I hear about the DF Goblin. I like the staged kits, low donor cost, GM components, and I wanted that whine I miss from my RSX.
So a week ago we picked up my Donor (2006 SS/SC G85 with 129k miles):

Here is how she sits a week later:

Dash, Engine, Trans, Suspention all ready to come out...just waiting on the proper tools. Hood, Front / Rear Seats, Door Panels, and a set of headlights are already sold and gone. Thinking about ordering stage 1 soon.

Ross

Goblin Guru
Congrats, and welcome to the Goblin life. Looks like you have a great start... same donor as mine. So as an engine calibration engineer, do you already know how to tune engines, or is your career more specific than that?

gearjammer

I did some basic tuning with my RSX a long while back using Kpro, just to protect from knock till I could get a professional tune. I don't intend to do a final tune for this vehicle either, I will leave it to the professionals. The stuff I calibrate is safety related...In case the ECM becomes corupted I ensure it will not drive off on its own uncontrollably.

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
Steve, welcome to the Goblin family. Can we assume you have read through enough posts on the forum to know what items you need to keep from your donor? There is an amazing amount of information available on the forum and more is added every day. Hope you have been labeling everything and taking more pics than you think you'll need. Keep posting and ask questions if you get stuck, but looks like you have already dug into this project with gusto. :D

gearjammer

Thanks guys! I have been lurking for a little while so I know to reference the donor parts list, keep the E-brake hardware, and labeling everything with zip tie tabs and a sharpie. I am following the disassembly videos as closely as I can....but without the necessary tools some things are being done out of order. Hopefully the tools issue will be corrected this weekend.

gearjammer

Got the engine / trans out today. Went pretty well except for the wore-out control arm bushings causing some issues with subframe removal. Also forgot to disconnect the heater hose before trying to drop the engine. Disconnected it halfway through dropping the engine, coolant all over! Huge thanks to my Dad for helping me with this today!

gearjammer

Donor is completely stripped. The title has not been transferred into my name yet because the Secretary of State (MI’s DMV) is closed because of COVID19. Hesitant to get rid of the shell... I guess I will hold onto it while I work on the wire harness and clean up parts.
D270D980-045C-40F0-9538-1CAF3EC794AD.jpeg

gearjammer

So I was picking up parts of the car that I threw all over the place...what do you do with all the unused junk items (ie. dash, fuel tank, large trim pieces)? Send them with the shell when it is scrapped or put it out with the trash?