[GUIDE] F35 to F23 (with LSD) Transmission Swap

Rauq

Goblin Guru
1) Do I have to replace this with the LSJ slave cylinder/clutch pipe? I do not have these anymore.
No, you can run the F23 slave cylinder and clutch pipe.
2) If I can keep the new slave cylinder and clutch pipe, which I *think* I can, how do I get the hydraulic clutch elbow (circled in pic) mated to the clutch pipe? what parts, specifically?
You need GM PN 12582665. Specifically only the bleed elbow circled below, but as far as I was able to find that part is not available by itself.

3) Am I correct in thinking that I do not need the master clutch line (line attached to hydraulic clutch elbow in pic)?
I don't think you will need that or any of the other F35 clutch hydraulics. You will need to re-bend the last bit of the Goblin clutch hardline to come into the new clutch bleed valve at its new angle, but that was pretty easy to do.

newbtrying

Thanks! This was perfect info!

BTW that line costs as much as a new slave cylinder! I ended up purchasing a clutch kit and aluminum flywheel that came with a new slave... it was one of those, "while I'm in there..." decisions.

Rauq

Goblin Guru
I think someone said at one point you can make the F35 slave cylinder work, but it seemed like more effort than it was worth.

newbtrying

I hope that this will be the last time that I have to crawl to you guys for help on this F23 swap... but It might not be.

I decided to put a new clutch and aluminum flywheel on my LSJ and am now trying to mount the F23 to my motor, but the thermostat housing is bumping into the shift cable bracket so the two just can't mate. Here's some pictures. What's the solution to this? did I somehow install the thermostat housing incorrectly or does this shift cable mount need lopped off with a cutoff wheel? I just browsed this forum and didn't see any mention of a similar issue on other people's swaps.

Also, thank you guys all soo much for all the help so far. I wouldn't be able to get anything done without y'all it seems.

Last edited:

newbtrying

I think I could rig something up myself, but I just want to be doubly-tripply sure that I have to start cutting things off and going that route before I do. I was hoping one of the guys that have done it would just tell me there's a different thermostat housing that is compatible with the LSJ that I need to buy and install to leave things as is. I can't be the only one to run into this fitment issue, and it seems like a big thing for the other guys to forget to mention.

In this pic, his turbo coolant supply hose is blocking out the portion I'm really interested in seeing.

Rauq

Goblin Guru
I'm not sure how Justin did his but on my swap I installed a base model thermostat housing. There's a few pictures in posts before and after this one, but this post includes links to the tees you'll need to re-plumb the oil cooler lines like an LNF since the LSJ thermostat housing is the only one with the coolant lines to and from the oil cooler integrated into the thermostat housing.

Last edited:

newbtrying

I'm not sure how Justin did his but on my swap I installed a base model thermostat housing. There's a few pictures in posts before and after this one, but this post includes links to the tees you'll need to re-plumb the oil cooler lines like an LNF since the LSJ thermostat housing is the only one with the coolant lines to and from the oil cooler integrated into the thermostat housing.
I clicked on that post and it went to a thread about steering arms. I browsed it and didn't see the talk about the oil cooler plumbing.

so this: 2.2L rear thermostat housing would be compatible with my LSJ and create enough room that I can use the F23 shift cable mount without modification to the mount/trans? I'd also need one of these therm housings too.

Instead of doing the tees, I have half a mind of using this remote mount adapter from OTTP and some AN10 hoses and this air to oil cooler that i'd have to figure out where to mount.

Thoughts?

Ross

Goblin Guru
Rauq post has been fixed, now leads to some great info on his F23 install.
Rauq's tee system keeps the stock LSJ oil cooler... So does mike_sno use of the use of the cabin heater loop.(below)
Lots of builders have converted their oil cooler to an air cooled one... most everyone doesn't have temperature control on their oil cooler. I like the stock LSJ cooler, as it uses the coolant from the engine, which is temperature controlled, and will not over cool the engine oil.

Last edited:

newbtrying

Oh! this is perfect. man, I wish I found this before I ran into the exact problem you already solved and detailed. Thanks a ton. I think I'll also keep the stock oil cooler... your logic convinced me that is wise.

Check out this thermostat housing on Amazon for the 2.2/2.4: Is this exactly what I need, or is it too cheap to be right? o_O

mike_sno

Goblin Guru
Sorry I saw in the email from the forum that you were talking about the F35 installation. First when I clicked on it said F23. I can second what has been said. You need the other thermostat housing. I put the oil cooler in the loop of the passenger room heat exchanger.

Did you also had some clearance issues at the oil cooler? I had to remove a bit of the gearbox housing to make it fit.