[GUIDE] Montana Registration

Sluggonaut

Goblin Guru
Jareth said:
Do I need to get a EIN - Tax id #

My LLC has zero profit and zero expenses
You don't register the business with the IRS. Basically when starting a business there's two steps

1. Setting up the business and getting the EIN.
2. Letting the IRS know you're operating <-- you don't do this part

If you were to ever be forced to register with the IRS (via audit or other) your expenses (ex. $49 All Day / Year ) would be more than your revenue but you'd still have to file for those years you didn't. Then, you'd just close the business and start the process over again....
I'm going through this now and have the same question.

So the answer is yes, we need to get an EIN but there's nothing we need to do after that, correct?

I'm just trying to figure out what I enter for my Corp ID on the forms and not sure if that is the EIN or something else.

Adam

Administrator
Staff member
Hey guys,

We've been getting more questions about MCOs being made out to LLCs and about DFKC filling out odometer disclosures. I wanted to make a couple of things more clear:

We can only make the MCO out to the original purchaser based on the original invoice. We can not make an MCO out to an LLC that did not buy the kit (especially an LLC that didn't even exist when the kit was ordered).

We also can't provide odometer disclosures.

OptimizePrime

Goblin Guru
Hey guys,

We've been getting more questions about MCOs being made out to LLCs and about DFKC filling out odometer disclosures. I wanted to make a couple of things more clear:

We can only make the MCO out to the original purchaser based on the original invoice. We can not make an MCO out to an LLC that did not buy the kit (especially an LLC that didn't even exist when the kit was ordered).

Thanks @Adam! I have updated the guide verbiage to reflect the procedural changes as I know them at this time.

So to those who have gone this route recently and had their MCO written out in their name, I'm happy to provide write access to this document or you can message me with details as to how this process went for you. I assume you had to sell your kit to your LLC, but the documents and process to do that I'm hazy on.

Also, if someone had the foresight to establish the MT LLC and purchase the kit in their LLC's name / address, this is a scenario where the MCO could be written out to their business name/address ?

The last thing I want to do is put DF at risk and mislead others with this, the intent is to try to provide clarity and make owning one of these kits more accessible.

Sluggonaut

Goblin Guru
That's correct.

Ahh ok, the Corp ID = FEIN (Federal Employer Identification Number) = EIN
View attachment 32787
When I looked at irs.gov to create an EIN, I went through the questions and was able to answer No to all the questions about whether an EIN is required. So I called my agent and asked and the response was you don't need an EIN unless you answer 'Yes' to any of those questions. For car registration, it is typically for when banks get involved like when financing the vehicle through a dealer.

You can use the first part of the Certified File Number on your certification letter as your corporate ID in the DL/FEIN/Corp ID field found on the various forms.

Here is where you find the number and it's only the first set of numbers in front of the dash:

I hope to be submitting my paperwork sometime next week, so I'll soon find out if the agent was correct or not. I will update this post based on those results.

Fenix Nexen

Hey guys,

I went and made an attempt to purchase the kit under my LLC name, though I messed up and used my real name instead of my LLC name but my LLC address is correct for the invoice. If the name on the invoice cannot be changed then I assume it would be wise to cancel and properly do it again? or is it just a no go on attempting to order through my LLC?

Also, if someone had the foresight to establish the MT LLC and purchase the kit in their LLC's name / address, this is a scenario where the MCO could be written out to their business name/address ?

The last thing I want to do is put DF at risk and mislead others with this, the intent is to try to provide clarity and make owning one of these kits more accessible.
Would like a proper answer to this since I have established my LLC before hand and it seems bound to an invoice and the online ordering form does not support LLC names, just real names...

Last edited:

Ark :D

Goblin Guru
People don't usually establish the LLC until the car is (close to) done. DF will issue your MCO to you in your name, then you'll sell the car to your LLC while in the Montana process.

Fenix Nexen

People don't usually establish the LLC until the car is (close to) done. DF will issue your MCO to you in your name, then you'll sell the car to your LLC while in the Montana process.
Ah then I am just overthinking things then. If they go by invoice then I guess itd be better to reorder under just myself then if I can just do that instead :). Unless the address doesnt matter on the MCO, still have to sell the car to the LLC either way, so, might not have to do anything.

Goblinfanclub1234

if you are using 49 dollar montana I had a lot of problems waiting for weeks and weeks on them. towards the end of the process I started calling them every day. After I left a terrible google review they jumped into action really fast.

Fenix Nexen

if you are using 49 dollar montana I had a lot of problems waiting for weeks and weeks on them. towards the end of the process I started calling them every day. After I left a terrible google review they jumped into action really fast.
oh, so far 49 dollar has been good to me, im wondering about the df team instead, i left a email on the 25th and have not been contacted yet, figure its just a holiday thing, might try to give them a call but i dont want to be intrusive

aaronbuley

Linked below is a guide for registering in Montana. Few things before you get started:

1. There are many factors that play into your individual build that would dictate which route to take. I won't speak to the pro's and con's of the decision, this guide is focused on HOW to do it with the least amount of headaches.

2. I'm not compensated by the registered agent listed. There are quite a few registered agent options out there with different services, costs etc - choose the one that fits you best.

3. Your donor, more specifically - how you own your donor, may cause you to take a slightly different path than what's outlined below. You could still use aspects of what's below, but you may have to freestyle it a bit to get to the desired end result.

4. DO NOT REQUEST AN MCO OR ODOMETER STATEMENT FROM DF BEFORE GOING THIS ROUTE - This is no longer the case. You have to get the MCO written out in the name and address you purchased your kit with (for most of us, that'll be our human names and residential address). It may benefit you to create an LLC before purchasing your kit.

Hope this helps! Would be interested to hear how your Montana registration process was different from below.

just a heads up... there's a lot of broken links in the guide. and one of them works but points to a North Carolina doc.

Hey. Has anyone filled out the recently revised MV24 (Bill of Sale)?

These a new section about a title being available.
The options are either "yes" or "no" (No, certifying that the car is not mechanically functional.

This is throwing me off. Does this even apply to us? Thoughts?

Attachments

Goblinfanclub1234

I left the entire "title available" section blank on my bill of sale, and I also used the same Montana broker to get it done. private message me if you want to see copies of all my completed paperwork.

another note DO NOT LIST 0 MILES on the odometer. I got rejected for that. It needs to be a non zero number.

Last edited: