Instrument Dimmer

Gtstorey

Goblin Guru
Are you using the ambient light sensor? I have the same problem, and have been assuming that the gauges are dimmed because the bcm thinks its dark.

k.rollin

Goblin Guru
And actually exposed to sunlight? I installed a new one but have never actually mounted it so it's under the hood.
Mine is exposed to direct sunlight and the dimmer is set to max brightness by wiring it as directed in the wiring guide. My previous comment was based on my experience with other GM vehicles of similar age. The shroud/visor over the cluster helped in those applications (as did a full roof), but direct sun didn't mix well with those displays.

CaptFrank2001

Goblin Guru
Mine is exposed to direct sunlight and the dimmer is set to max brightness by wiring it as directed in the wiring guide. My previous comment was based on my experience with other GM vehicles of similar age. The shroud/visor over the cluster helped in those applications (as did a full roof), but direct sun didn't mix well with those displays.
The video shows the Purple & Green dimmer switch wires to be soldered together. This has been done so I assume this is setting it for max brightness which I do not have.

Attachments

WarmPepsi

I went back to my "soon to be" turbo donor (stock cobalt). When I turn on the key (at dusk) without touching the light control the lights are dimmed. Manually changing the headlight control has no effect on the brightness of the lights. When i put my phone flashlight over the ambient light sensor... it takes 10-15 seconds, and the lighting goes to daytime brightness, again, changing the headlight control has no effect on the light intensity.

I can't attest to the wiring, just what the factory functions are. Obviously the dash lights dim when the dimmer switch is used. Thought it might be of some help.

WarmPepsi

And that is screen brighter than night time?
Affirmative. Now the way my goblin is wired doesn’t seem to matter with the light sensor…. But when turning the auto lights to “Off” it goes to daylight mode; as shown.

for reference, i believe the dim one is reading "71 F 741 MI" but it's entirely non-readable.

Attachments

CaptFrank2001

Goblin Guru
That is how mine works. Withe the headlights in AUTO or ON the instrument lights are dim. When I manually turn the headlights to OFF the instrument lights get bright. No matter what I do to the "Ambient Light" sensor, nothing changes. Also tried another sensor & no change.

It would be nice to have bright instrument lights independent of the headlight control. The dimmer switch in the donor is wired to the BCM (small plug) by the Purple & Green wires that are soldered together when prepping the wiring harness. I am guessing I can purchase a stock Cobalt dimmer switch & re-wire it to those two wires and then see what I get.

WarmPepsi

That is how mine works. Withe the headlights in AUTO or ON the instrument lights are dim. When I manually turn the headlights to OFF the instrument lights get bright. No matter what I do to the "Ambient Light" sensor, nothing changes. Also tried another sensor & no change.

It would be nice to have bright instrument lights independent of the headlight control. The dimmer switch in the donor is wired to the BCM (small plug) by the Purple & Green wires that are soldered together when prepping the wiring harness. I am guessing I can purchase a stock Cobalt dimmer switch & re-wire it to those two wires and then see what I get.
I actually haven't verified that my ambient light switch is affecting the headlights either... they just seem always on. I'll check that tonight. I'm gonna mount a little ODB dash module, and i'm planning on putting some 12mm turn signal/high beam/oil pressure light indicators so it's way more visible to me. I drive for miles with my signal on, lol. I plan to 3d print the bracket and have it go thru the old holes for the turn signal bracket. My ambient light sensor will go above that, and actually have consistent visibility. I plan on swapping headlights to some with halo's or such for "running lights".