Lsj + F23 = clutch Recommendation

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
Not familiar with Mpact clutches, but any up grade over a stock clutch should be capable for most tuning, short of a drag racing or serious tracking HP and torque numbers. Keep in mind the information given is capacities for a 3000+ lb car. A Goblin being 1/2 the weight with healthy HP should not task an aftermarket performance clutch. You should be good with this purchase - it's your build, do it the way you want to and within your budget. :D

mike_sno

Goblin Guru
It does make sense what you're saying about the weight, but I am having a knot in my head.

Independent from weight, unless you smoke the tires, the torque which goes over the clutch should be the same. Just the engine will go faster to higher rpm, or?? I think the weight mostly has an effect on the wear of the clutch.

Ross

Goblin Guru
The tire traction is the torque fuse.
Under the fuse limit, you are correct, and the Cobalt and Goblin can pass the same shock load thru the drivetrain.
Normally, you want your clutch and drivetrain to be stronger than the fuse. Tires are easier to replace, compared to clutches, besides, who wants to baby a clutch because it is the weak link...

I am running a GMPP clutch, a stock LSJ, and Hoosier A7 racing slicks. I never have had a problem with the clutch, and didn't have any issues when it was the stock clutch either. I think the goblin is just easier on the drivetrain compared to the Cobalt.

Gtstorey

Goblin Guru
Tie your car to tree and see if it has the same load on the clutch. A heavier car is going to be between tied to a tree and the Goblin. The Goblin actually accelerates easier than a heavy car so less stress on the drivetrain.