Neodied's #375 Extended Track - 07 SS/SC donor

neodied

Hey, this is my build log! (format shamelessly copied from devianteng's build log)

Tips for future builders: (so you don't have to read the whole thread for the advice bits)
DISASSEMBLY
- Don't bother with a steering wheel puller tool, just use the hammer method from the videos
- Loosen the axle nuts slightly before you jack up the front end especially if you don't have a 1/2" impact
- If your steering knuckle is as much of a pain as mine was, you can disconnect at the collapsible intermediate shaft instead, but then the process of dropping the subframe will be more difficult
WIRING HARNESS
- Label every wiring harness connector as you disconnect it (I am using "wired manila shipping tags")
- In Wiring Harness video #4, don't fully wrap up the ECM and fuse box multiplugs before thinning the accessory power and I/P harness. Some of those wires may go to the wrapped bits and you'll just have to undo the wrapping.
- If you are not 100% confident when thinning wires, leave an inch or two of wire at the fuse block/ECM/BCM plugs, so you can fix any accidentally-cut wires by soldering them back in. You can always go back later at the end to trim these tails more.
STAGE 1
- When applying urethane adhesive to the floor panels, DO NOT get any in or around the 1/4" holes where the support strap bolts go. If you do, the bolts will collect the adhesive as they get inserted, and you'll end up with a nasty mess on the bolt, nut, your wrench, and your hands.
STAGE 2
- When installing your shift cables, route them away from the exhaust pipe and make sure they can't wiggle loose.

About me:
My digital nom de plume is Neo/Neodied and I'm an auto engineer in the Royal Oak, MI area who also enjoys tinkering with overpowered computers and software in my free time. If you happen to have a decommissioned enterprise server in your basement we might be best friends! My first vehicle ever was a Suzuki DRZ-400SM and I drove that around rain or shine for years until I moved out here to Michigan where winters are actually a real thing. But I've always had a bike in my garage to give me the speed fix I need. Life changes and I swear distracted drivers get worse and worse each year, so the wife and I agreed it was time to let the motorcycle era fade, but only if I could have a 4-wheeled funmobile that hits the same level of excitement. I don't have any real experience tuning or tinkering on cars, though I am comfortable doing basic wrenching so the DFKC Youtube tutorial videos are what really got me over the hump into "yeah I can do this" territory.

Build concept:
Road legal, track capable, zipping around town running errands like a hooligan. This is replacing my motorcycle as the fun vehicle, so I want high "engagement". I will almost certainly do power and handling upgrades down the road when I get the itch, but keeping things mostly stock or plug-and-play for now to minimize initial cost and avoid jumping in over my head. Wife acceptance factor should be decent as well.

Donor car:
Consensus seems to be that an LSJ provides the best starting point for making big power without overhauling internals. And I love the sound of a supercharger. Found a rear-ended 2007 SS/SC manual donor on CoPart in a sunny state (no Michigan rustbuckets for me) and had it shipped, arriving a few weeks ago. I lucked out getting the G85 RPO according to the trunk tag, hopefully the LSD is still present.
I plan to do all the preventative maintenance on the powertrain once it's out, and maybe replace the clutch while it's easily accessible. I don't trust any previous owners of a salvaged tuner car...

Order sheet:
copied from my Choosing a Kit thread
Chassis Length: Extended
I'm 6'3" and want any extra room as others have mentioned for speakers or other auxiliary components. Also, better stability at speed.

Chassis Style: Full Cage (Track) with added "monkey bars" across the top halo
I love the look of the Open Cage, but I do plan to track this and I may go for a heavier glass windshield at some point so better mounting options are a big plus. Also I plan to eventually put a roof rack on it for some cargo capacity. The monkey bar mod will also assist getting in and out (WAF). It's not on the web order form but I sent an email to DF support before placing the order, and Adam confirmed that it's still an option.

Door Bar Style: Easy Entry "Modified"/Double Bar
This was the most difficult choice for me because I wanted to balance: A) ease of entry, B) having a nice arm rest (very important to me for cruising), and C) good side protection/secure feeling. Based on multiple photos from other builds, I think this is the best compromise. This Double Door Bar mod is another option that doesn't appear on the web order form but Adam confirmed it in a pre-order email.

Hood: Yes
It's a great canvas for putting on a neat wrap or logo and I'm not going for the full naked look.

Windscreen: Yes, Extended
I changed my mind on this (originally No) based partly on the feedback in my "help me choose" thread and partly on reflection that passengers needing a full face helmet every time they get in can be a hassle.

Footwell Cover: No
I changed my mind on this also (originally Yes), most people indicating it doesn't do much for road debris or wind.

Side Panels: Yes
I changed my mind on this also (originally No), based on the "help me choose" thread where people mentioned this being key for deflecting debris.

Engine Cover: No
For looks and cost savings, I like the exposed frame and components better.

Fenders: No
I'm undecided what wheel+tire combo I will end up with and the open wheel look is pretty neat anyway. If my state inspector gives me flak about not having fenders I'll figure something out or order these separately.

Wing Mount Kit: Yes
A wing really rounds out the racecar aesthetic. I personally think the back end without one looks...incomplete? From forumgoer discussion, it seems that downforce is actually counterproductive so I'll set it to a neutral angle and likely get a functional front wing in the future..

Headlights: No
Several people here mentioned the kit lights being too dim and I like the look of other aftermarket styles better.

Mirrors + Turn Signals: Yes
License Plate Light: Yes
Taillights: Yes
Button Panels: Yes
Basic stuff to make it road legal in my area.

Boost Gauge Mount: Yes
Because it's only $10 and boost is cool.

Wire Harness Service: No
Stepping a bit outside my comfort zone on this, but the cost savings are substantial and the tutorial videos are so good that it might work out.

Seats: FX1 (not Pro)
I am a 38" waist, and I want this to be comfortable enough for my friends as well. The stock Cobalt seats would look pretty out of place and not provide enough stability with the corners I plan on taking at speed ;). Mildly concerned if the ergonomics don't work out, but I think resale on these wouldn't be too bad if I decide to go with a different set.

Rear Coilover Kit: Yes
Changed my mind on this (originally No), as it's universally recommended to replace the stock setup for any real track time and I get stuck with analysis paralysis based on all the aftermarket suspension choices available. The price seems very fair.

Heat Exchanger Duct Kit: No
Cost saving and I don't really know why it would be needed. Maybe if I track it at 10/10ths for extended time?

Tow Bar Package: No
This should be fully road legal when it's all built. If I ever want to tow it on a very long trip, may order this separately.

5x114.3 Bearing Hubs: No
Undecided on wheels+tires, I'll use the stock hubs for now.

Parking Brake Kit: No
SS/SC trim option comes with parking brake kit.

Other additions/mods:
- Quick release steering wheel (not sure if I will go with the DFKC one or another)
- Upgraded lower rod end mounts (DFKC store, multiple people report the stock ones can fail under enthusiastic driving conditions)
- Billet shifter (my stock shifter feels pretty mediocre and the DFKC one looks really great, but I think the order window for that closed a while ago, not sure if another round will open up? any info would be appreciated)
- Timing chain guide bolt (preventative)
- New clutch (maybe do this while the engine is out to set myself up for bigger power later, maybe wait a bit and see how the current clutch fares)
- Front aero wing (when I eventually decide that I need more zip at the track)

BUILD LOG

2021-10-??

Donor arrived, I drove it around the block and the spinny bits all spin. Too much noise from scraping body panels to hear any warning sounds, but it feels alright. Definitely well worn interior and exterior though (120K miles). Good thing those are disposable!

2021-11-??
I tore off all the impacted body bits and briefly drove it. No noticeable scraping/squeaking/rattling sounds. The clutch feels pretty vague, so a replacement is in the cards eventually. The engine hunts a bit at idle, but I hope that can be resolved when I inevitably get it tuned by ZZP. Unless that's something you have to figure out first before tuning? The engine oil is sludge, I hope there's no exacerbated wear on the internals. No leaks though!

2021-11-22
Order placed with much excitement, snagging frame #375. Now I have the winter to work on stripping my donor down and modding the harness.

2022-01-19
Major milestone in donor teardown, the interior is gone! I haven't dropped the subframe or powertrain but those are coming soon.

2022-03-10
Got the call from Stewart Transport, frame should be arriving next week! I still have to drop the engine (just need the hoist, everything else is ready), remove the dash, and remove the wiring harness then dispose of the donor shell. Busy weekend ahead...

2022-03-14
Engine pulled, dash removed, wiring harness extracted. Much progress. I think all I have left is: fuel system, rear suspension, and dash stripping. Then starting the harness and powertrain prep. Frame should arrive this week!

2022-03-17
Donor shell gone, Goblin frame and Stage 1 kit is here! Waiting on response from powder coat companies and wiring harness rework kit. I can start cleaning and prepping the donor parts now though.

2022-03-30
Wiring Harness video #1 complete (unwrapping). Other future builders: don't be like me, label your connectors and you will be happy you did when the harness work happens.

2022-04-20
Tagged all the main body harness connectors (since I neglected to do that during disassembly) and started spreadsheet for connector identification.

2022-05-07
Wiring harness rework 99% complete! I need to solve a missing wire problem (heat exchanger fan) which may involve installing a relay triggered by BCM.

2022-07-03
Got my powdercoated frame back a few days ago. Starting the assembly videos! Ran into a snag with the center tunnel brake line.

2023-05-10
First fire! Got a lot of suspension assembled as well. Maybe half way through stage 2.

2023-07-18
First drive! Nothing felt too out of the ordinary. The engine needs a tune I'm sure, and an alignment is in order, and the brakes need to be looked at (quite soft). But it drove!

Last edited:

devianteng

I'm definitely going to follow your build closely since it's similar to mine (donor, frame, etc)!

If you happen to have a decommissioned enterprise server in your basement we might be best friends!
Mine are actually in the guest bedroom. :D
My most recent server build was a few years ago now, but is a beast and running strong! Even did a simplified photo build log for it, haha but I do have some other gear racked up.

replacing my motorcycle as the fun vehicle
I have a couple bikes, and suspect this will also happen to me. I have a a 2020 Moto Guzzi V85TT and a 2020 Honda Monkey 125 (blue one). I fully expect to sell off the Guzzi once the Goblin in full swing, but the Monkey isn't going anywhere! Me and my FIL ride those things every opportunity we have.

'07 specifically since Wikipedia says these came standard with LSD
To my knowledge, this is incorrect. "G85" is the option code for LSD, so check your RPO tag in your trunk (under the carpet). Here's my RPO tag.

Welcome to the madness fun!

Attachments

SmsDetroit

Goblin Guru
Welcome. I live in Troy Michigan as well. If you have seen the orange goblin zipping around it was probably me

TravMac

Welcome! 07 SS/SC cars had option LSDs (speaking from my own 07 SS/SC build). If you have the RECARO inscribed seats, then you have pretty good chances as they were in a similar package. I'm not far in Clinton Township too. Hopefully to be on the road as soon as the snow melts. Nice to see more Michiganders!

neodied

My most recent server build was a few years ago now, but is a beast and running strong! Even did a simplified photo build log for it, haha but I do have some other gear racked up.
HomeLab.jpg
I'm a bit of a Dell fan (R230s, R610, R710, R720, R730). Planning to migrate the older gear into R230s and R730s over time. This rack is quite thirsty (~600W avg), but I just consider my electricity bill the "subscription fee" for playing with these ;)

"G85" is the option code for LSD, so check your RPO tag in your trunk (under the carpet). Here's my RPO tag.
Well shame on me for trusting Wikipedia haha, but at least I do have the G85 RPO on my trunk tag!

neodied

My current headache is getting rid of bulky donor parts like the doors, body panels, hood, wheel liners, etc. My local garbage collection service refused to pick up the parts I put out on the curb and when I called them they said "no car parts, no exceptions." :mad: So I posted the stuff on Craigslist but haven't had any bites in a month, probably not many people working on their cars in freezing temps. I guess now the plan is to go rent a Home Depot truck and load it up then drop off at a landfill somewhere.

Rttoys

Goblin Guru
If you rent a truck at least take the metal to a scrap yard and get a few bucks to offset the truck rental. Take the rad, evap and other precious metals too. That’s all good scrap money.

Corgithulhu

And I love the sound of a supercharger.
Trust me, it gets better when you build the car. It absolutely screams when it's six inches behind your head. I doubt I'll ever take it off in favor of a turbo because that sound is just chef's kiss.

neodied

I've done a fair bit of teardown over the past few weeks despite the cold weather. On the bright side, my drink stays cold in the garage!

Front suspension (Teardown video #3) presented several wrinkles that I'll put here in case anyone reads this before attempting theirs:
  • If you don't have a 1/2" impact wrench, loosen your front axle nuts before lifting the car up and pulling suspension components. This will avoid a scenario like I encountered where the axle spun freely when I attempted loosening the nut with my breaker bar.
    1. Lift one side at a time and remove the tire
    2. Loosen (don't remove) the axle nut
    3. Replace the wheel and lower the car
    4. Do the same to the other side.
  • Tie rod removal: missing from the video, but I'd do this before removing the strut to keep the knuckle stable while you're pressing the ball joint out. Make sure to do it before everything else is detached, or the knuckle will hang from the tie rod which can't be good for the rod, and it'll be hard to press the rod out.
  • Strut removal order of operations: (I think the video had the compression step in a different order)
    1. Lift knuckle slightly with jack to compress strut spring
    2. Apply strut spring compressors (finger tight is enough as mentioned in video)
    3. Lower jack to release pressure on the upper strut mount
    4. If you don't have a 1/2" impact wrench, you can remove the three smaller nuts around the large top strut nut instead, it works fine. After removing these, you should be able to wiggle the strut by hand, indicating there is no pressure from the spring against the upper strut mount.
    5. Remove lower strut bolts & nuts.
  • Tool rental/loan:
    • Strut spring compressors
    • Axle nut socket (my '07 actually fit the 29mm socket compared to the 30mm mentioned in video... weird)
    • Tie rod fork / ball joint press
Interior is gone, down to the metal and wiring. I have not removed the dash yet.

Next step is tie rods, then subframe, then the engine bay prep for dropping the powertrain!

Ghostknife

Goblin Guru
I've done a fair bit of teardown over the past few weeks despite the cold weather. On the bright side, my drink stays cold in the garage!

Front suspension (Teardown video #3) presented several wrinkles that I'll put here in case anyone reads this before attempting theirs:
  • If you don't have a 1/2" impact wrench, loosen your front axle nuts before lifting the car up and pulling suspension components. This will avoid a scenario like I encountered where the axle spun freely when I attempted loosening the nut with my breaker bar.
    1. Lift one side at a time and remove the tire
    2. Loosen (don't remove) the axle nut
    3. Replace the wheel and lower the car
    4. Do the same to the other side.
  • Tie rod removal: missing from the video, but I'd do this before removing the strut to keep the knuckle stable while you're pressing the ball joint out. Make sure to do it before everything else is detached, or the knuckle will hang from the tie rod which can't be good for the rod, and it'll be hard to press the rod out.
  • Strut removal order of operations: (I think the video had the compression step in a different order)
    1. Lift knuckle slightly with jack to compress strut spring
    2. Apply strut spring compressors (finger tight is enough as mentioned in video)
    3. Lower jack to release pressure on the upper strut mount
    4. If you don't have a 1/2" impact wrench, you can remove the three smaller nuts around the large top strut nut instead, it works fine. After removing these, you should be able to wiggle the strut by hand, indicating there is no pressure from the spring against the upper strut mount.
    5. Remove lower strut bolts & nuts.
  • Tool rental/loan:
    • Strut spring compressors
    • Axle nut socket (my '07 actually fit the 29mm socket compared to the 30mm mentioned in video... weird)
    • Tie rod fork / ball joint press
Interior is gone, down to the metal and wiring. I have not removed the dash yet.

Next step is tie rods, then subframe, then the engine bay prep for dropping the powertrain!
I am also finishing up video 3, I just cut the tie rod end on the drivers side since the outers were wasted. Also on the drivers side the wheel bearing is seized into the knuckle. Luckily working in a power plant we have many different press's what should be able to pop them free. The passenger side everything just slid out like it was new lol

neodied

I just cut the tie rod end on the drivers side since the outers were wasted.
Yeah, the dust boot on my driver's side outer is pretty shot. If I have issues pressing out the ball joint I'll just cut it as well, since the front knuckle is not needed from the donor if I recall correctly. (Edit: this is wrong, the front knuckles ARE reused) I always feel a little bit of defeat when I have to break out the angle grinder to cut things up rather than disassembling, but as long as it's not a needed part, I guess I'll get over it.

To get replacement tie rods, did you just order Cobalt rods from a parts store? Or did you go junkyard route?

Last edited:

Rauq

Goblin Guru
The front knuckle is reused, it goes on the back in the Goblin. It helps to free the lower ball joint if you can spread the pinch at the bottom of the knuckle a little bit by twisting a flathead in it or lightly tapping with a chisel. That's one of those joints where, if you can get it freed up just a little bit, it'll come right out afterwards.

On pretty much every car (but especially SS models) the rear lower control arm bushing needs replacing. If the lower ball joint also needs replacing, you can buy new lower control arms with a new ball joint and bushing, but for most builds, and again, SS donors in particular, the Moog spherical bushing (K201285) should be considered a minimum upgrade, and I don't believe even Moog's arms come with that bushing installed.

Ghostknife

Goblin Guru
Yeah, the dust boot on my driver's side outer is pretty shot. If I have issues pressing out the ball joint I'll just cut it as well, since the front knuckle is not needed from the donor if I recall correctly. I always feel a little bit of defeat when I have to break out the angle grinder to cut things up rather than disassembling, but as long as it's not a needed part, I guess I'll get over it.

To get replacement tie rods, did you just order Cobalt rods from a parts store? Or did you go junkyard route?
You are most definitely going to need the knuckle. I'm going to order all new stuff, I don't want to get things all assembled and hear a clunk on a bump or not be able to do a proper alignment.

neodied

Unless we're thinking of different parts, the Cobalt front knuckles are reused on the Goblin at the rear
Good catch, you're right. I recalled seeing the machined front knuckles in the kit and didn't think about the rear.

neodied

On pretty much every car (but especially SS models) the rear lower control arm bushing needs replacing. If the lower ball joint also needs replacing, you can buy new lower control arms with a new ball joint and bushing, but for most builds, and again, SS donors in particular, the Moog spherical bushing (K201285) should be considered a minimum upgrade, and I don't believe even Moog's arms come with that bushing installed.
Any opinion on tubular control arms like these?
Price is slightly more than new cast aluminum options from what I saw. The claim seems to be better stiffness, not sure how much that matters with a car that's half the weight of the Cobalt and should see less suspension load.