Pennsylvania registration 2024 update.

terryjr

I recently submitted another tube chassis build to PA. I heard the inspection staff had changed and to expect a more difficult time. Quite the opposite however. The state simply used the Bill if Sale and issues the title and registration using the chassis serial number as the new vin number. You'll still need to pass the inspection at an enhanced inspection station. The inspection in PA includes laminated safety glass windshield, wiper, defroster, squirter, obvious lights, side markers, reflectors, fenders, bumper bars, if using heims make sure they have to retainer washers.

All in all, it was a bit pricier than last time, close to $1000 in taxes and inspection fees but it only took 3 weeks from inspection to plate on vehicle. I share this info to help others enjoy the open air homemade vehicles.

2018 experience post

Mahkoi

I'm not in PA but love the info sharing across similar projects. Also, that purple truck looks really good, nicely done.

Ark :D

Goblin Guru
Thanks for the update. It sounds like possession of the donor's title is more optional now, though the rest of the PITA still remains, sadly...

terryjr

Thanks for the update. It sounds like possession of the donor's title is more optional now, though the rest of the PITA still remains, sadly...
We supplied receipts for the major components like engine, transmission, suspension, seats, wheels, etc. I'm not sure how much they looked at it. The only tax charged was the value of the chassis bill of sale. When I did mine in 2018 I used a donor vehicle and said I built chassis. That time I was given a state issued vin and vehicle tag. This time around they used the chassis number from bill of sale. There was also a MSO with chassis. It's like they considered this one a kit car and the last on a homemade car.

terryjr

I have one more to title. Its built for a guy in Texas, however he doesn't want to deal with Texas inspection. He previous owned a 818, similar concept to these. But he bought it from an out of state owner and Texas just simply transfered the title and gave him a registration. So, were going to try that. We will title it in PA in my name and then I'll just sell it to him. We'll see how that goes.

Doug Rostad

I recently submitted another tube chassis build to PA. I heard the inspection staff had changed and to expect a more difficult time. Quite the opposite however. The state simply used the Bill if Sale and issues the title and registration using the chassis serial number as the new vin number. You'll still need to pass the inspection at an enhanced inspection station. The inspection in PA includes laminated safety glass windshield, wiper, defroster, squirter, obvious lights, side markers, reflectors, fenders, bumper bars, if using heims make sure they have to retainer washers.

All in all, it was a bit pricier than last time, close to $1000 in taxes and inspection fees but it only took 3 weeks from inspection to plate on vehicle. I share this info to help others enjoy the open air homemade vehicles.

2018 experience post
Thanks for the information! I'm assuming you mean washers on each side of each of the front suspension heim ends....

Attachments

terryjr

Did you need fenders , DOT Head lights and tail lights,
What enhanced inspection station did you go to?
Yes fenders are required. The lights all have DOT or SAE on them, except the front turn signals. I took the cleae lenses off and 3D printed amber lenses, they did not say anything. The biggest thing is likely the cutoff for headlights so they don't aim in other drivers eyes. We used WL Davidson in Cranberry this time. $$$$

Keckster

Yeah i got my goblin registered in PA last year and it was fairly simple. The biggest thing is finding a really good inspection shop. I got my inspection done. Waited a few months with no response from PennDot, Decided to call and ask using the id they stamped on the check and got a call asking for the current mileage a few days later.

comegetjoe

Goblin Guru
So they're not making you guys run any kind of bumpers? Im looking at last Friday's GOTW, Kecksters, Jcrevs and none of these guys have... at least a front bumper that I can see between here and IG, but I saw one dude with a lnf/redish frame on YT and Barr-Air that both have bumpers.
Is it hit or miss with inspection stations?

Keckster

They did require a bunch of stuff that I worked with the inspection station to get done. I have to have the engine covered, bumpers, 4 corner marker lights, as1 glass with wiper. They just went away after I got the plate