Starter Firing with Neg Cable

Robinjo

Goblin Guru
Putting the electrical back together after the trans swap and had a weird electrical issue. When I was hooking up the negative cable to the battery it tried to fire the starter which tried to turn the engine over.

The vehicle did not have the fusebox installed, did not have to large 50-amp under hood fuse or B+ cable attached to the fuse box.

The negative batter cable only goes from the battery to the ground post on the side of the battery box.

I think I might have a negative battery hooked up to the +side of the starter. Is this even possible?

Last edited:

Gtstorey

Goblin Guru
Always leave the negative cable to last.
Sounds more like you are probably shorting the signal wire to the starter solenoid to voltage. Negative to starter would also require positive to ground and even then I think the solenoid signal would have to be grounded.
And on top of this, the starter would spin backwards. That’s several things that would have to be wrong to happen.

Robinjo

Goblin Guru
Always leave the negative cable to last.
Sounds more like you are probably shorting the signal wire to the starter solenoid to voltage. Negative to starter would also require positive to ground and even then I think the solenoid signal would have to be grounded.
And on top of this, the starter would spin backwards. That’s several things that would have to be wrong to happen.
So just keep going with installing the electrical and check the purple signal wire?

Gtstorey

Goblin Guru
I would continue with the assembly with the battery disconnected until the electrical is reconnected. But I would also confirm that the battery positive cable isn’t grounded at the motor and a ground wire isn’t connected to the starter. Like I said a lot of things would have to be wrong to make it start because of backwards wiring but it isn’t impossible. I can’t guarantee what is exactly wrong without being there to check.

Rttoys

Goblin Guru
also, make sure the big cable on the starter isn’t touching the small wire or terminal to the starter. This will be a direct jump to turn over the starter.

I also made this a while back

Robinjo

Goblin Guru
It was a simple answer of unconnecting the 3 wires on the starter and reinstalling them. I think one if the positive wires was touching the purple wire terminal.

I then had an issue for a P0230 fuel pump main relay. I apparently put the relay in the wrong 4 of 6 slots it could go in.

Last edited:

escapepilot

Goblin Guru
It was a simple answer of unconnecting the 3 wires on the starter and reinstalling them. I think one if the positive wires was touching the purple wire terminal.

I then had an issue for a P0230 fuel pump main relay. I apparently put the relay in the wrong 4 of 6 slots it could go in.
I don't know why GM made it in such a way that you can install a relay incorrectly. I have to try and see the outline of the relay to know which set of slots to use.

Gtstorey

Goblin Guru
I don't think it's possible to install them incorrectly. The 4 pin relays at least work across the diagonals so they work in either direction. I think he was saying he installed it in the relay spot.

Gtstorey

Goblin Guru
Sorry. It might be possible mine has that, but I've never noticed it. And I've had all of the relays and fuses pulled out before to dissasmble it.

Looks like panel is probably shared with another application or GM made a switch after initial design or during production.