Mikes Extended, Full Frame Goblin - 2009 Cobalt LS with 135k donor

mike_sno

Goblin Guru
A trick to increase radiator/heat exchanger efficiency is a water mist sprayed onto the coils/tubes. Liquid is able to pull heat quicker from a metal surface than air. Plus the water has an evaporative effect that creates more cooling and can even pull temperature lower than ambient when the air very dry (like out here in the deser). But for this to work there must be constant airflow, otherwise the mist will over collect and 'puddle' reducing the evaporation effect. A puller fan is a bandaid for the constant airflow, but having the heat exchanger in the air stream is a better solution. Just something to think about. :D
I just can't think of any good place for them in the direct airflow.

mike_sno

Goblin Guru
Generation 1 of my DIY pulley Puller and installer. I am sure it will work as easy as in the animation. LOL
Those 1/2 round parts, could be as simple as M60 washers. They have the right size.

mike_sno

Goblin Guru
Are you in you garage or is it doing this outside too?
I had the chance to test it outside, it works as expected. It takes a little while to switch off the lights, but then the display is not dimmed and I can read it. I was just not patient enough when I pulled out of the garage.

mike_sno

Goblin Guru
I think a vehicle with no return to center on the steering is dangerous. I would add more castor.
I drove it now for a few hundred miles and I don't like it. Especially when getting out of drifting. It just don't feel right. I'll add more caster. But it's for sure gives you a feeling driving on rails.

mike_sno

Goblin Guru
What are the specs on your alignment?
I can't speak to caster, since I haven't measured it and I don't even know what the best way of measuring it on the Goblin would be.

I have a little toe in front and back. I didn't record the settings, bit it's in the 0.2-0.5deg range.

mike_sno

Goblin Guru
Hi forum, does anyone knows what the standard wheel hub measurements are on the different cobalts?

It seems I have the MOOG 5x110 Bearing Hubs front and rear. Not sure if they're standard size or not.

mike_sno

Goblin Guru
Ok, that make sense. It seems like that the 2.2 NA had the 4x100, now the former owner installed the 5x110. Since I changed the motor I am back to standard again :D

mike_sno

Goblin Guru
Hmmm, I found some play in my reay wheel hub. Mybe that's why my car feels still not very stable at higher speeds when I get off throttle???

Anyone an idea what that could be? Bad bearing or are the Bearings in an X or O layout and don't have enough pressure? Never worked on a wheel hub...

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
Bad bearings will have play, time to replace.

The Goblin (Cobalt) wheel hubs are a sealed unit, not a spindle with races and bearings. They are replaced as a whole unit - the Cobalt front bearing hubs are on the rear, so you would need to order a front assembly for your bolt pattern (4X100?). If one is going bad, its time to replace both sides before the other side starts to fail, so order 2 of them.

They do require some disassembly of the suspension pieces to remove from the aluminum uprights - either the strut bottom mount bolts or the ball joint (not sure which would make for an easier process?). The bearing hubs are held in by 3 bolts on the aluminum uprights. They can only install one way. Once you have them, be sure to ask questions and post photos if you need help.

mike_sno

Goblin Guru
Ok, so my Frankenstein build had the 2.2 Na suspension parts + the former owner installed the moog 5x110 hubs. Not sure where he got those.

Does that mean I order the LSJ or Lnf unit?