Rear wing Uprights

ATMironov

Did you get the final version of this cut and installed? I'm really interested in doing something similar. Would you care to share your CAD file? Would like to see final product too if you have a picture.

Did you go 60" on the wing? do you think that is to much?
I did get the final versions installed.

IMG_2169.jpeg

IMG_2170.jpeg

(They are swapped in this photo)
IMG_2219.jpeg

If I was to order another set I would still want to make some tweaks. They are not as plumb as I would like and the mounting hole for the wing adjustment is too high.
I also might consider going to 1/4” instead of 3/16

My wing is 71", so no I don't think 60" is too big...

I can give you the cad file, but it has “280” in it….

Last edited:

Esstover

I did get the final versions installed.

View attachment 41059
View attachment 41060

(They are swapped in this photo)
View attachment 41058

If I was to order another set I would still want to make some tweaks. They are not as plumb as I would like and the mounting hole for the wing adjustment is too high.
I also might consider going to 1/4” instead of 3/16

My wing is 71", so no I don't think 60" is too big...

I can give you the cad file, but it has “280” in it….
I have access to different CAD softwares and designers, so I will be changing slightly before having it cut. I think it's just a great starting point.

duthehustle93

This just got bumped up and it's probably too late unless you are going to redo them in 1/4", but I figured I'd toss in a few notes that may or may not be relevant depending on your goals.

1) The turbulent zone will propagate higher than the tallest point of the cage. Indy Lonnie did some testing showing how high you have to get for laminar flow. You'd probably have to go even higher since the wing is located aft of the main roll hoop. Unfortunately at your current height the bottom of the element will not see laminar flow, which is where most of the downforce is generated.
2) I believe that is a 9LR airfoil, or some form of airfoil where the wing mounts are welded to the airfoil? I would recommend making sure that the mounts are very rigid laterally. Any slightly movement could cause the mount to break off the airfoil. Aluminum doesn't perform well in fatigue, and aluminum welds perform even worse. It's no fault of 9LR, but they are known to fail at the mounts when the wing can shift laterally since it puts a cyclic bending load at the weld. It will probably take years, but losing a wing on track is no fun. I've had success with mounting the uprights at an angle (think of a trapezoid) to avoid needing cabling or gusseting, but in those applications the uprights were about half the height of yours.
3) I would recommend a more conventional mounting pattern for adjustment with a hole pattern and low profile hardware. This will minimalize the disruption around the mounts, it will be more rigid, and will make it impossible to accidentally "twist" the wing. Turnbuckles are great but usually adjustment that fine isn't necessary and the coarseness and repeatability of a bolt pattern makes it easier to dial in (IMO).

Kyle

I know I'm a bit late to the party, but I think I have one of the most unique wing set ups in the group. If you're interested, my brother designed this set. I can see if he would be willing to share the cad file?

I
20210614_223339.jpg
20210614_223347.jpg
20220315_134420.jpg