Sneak Peek - Goblin V2

Jason d

*Do we know the weight and dimensions of these v2?

*whats compatible from v2 with v1?

*whats the difference with v2 & v1 rear suspension.? And what difference does it make?

Last edited:

Sebnuts

Is the subframe tubular? Or you need to take off donor ?
*whats the difference with v2 & v1 rear suspension.? And what difference does it make?
It was already mentioned that the v2 suspension was Lotus Elise inspired. The difference that makes in the rear is better suspension geometry (more camber gain in bump, no pro-squat during accel, no pro-lift while braking etc).
You can see the tubular subframe and rear control arms in this previously posted pic

Desert Sasqwatch

Bigfoot Goblin
Information -
VAG Mk7 (Mk7.5) platforms:
2012 - 2021 North America, Europe, Asia, South America, Mexico (different years for different regions) - but 2015 - 2021 for USA

Compatible VAG platforms:
VW Golf/GTI
VW Jetta/Bora/GLI
(VW Tiguan - drivetrain?)
Audi A3
Audi TT
Seat Leon
Skoda Octavia

Platform engines (USA):
1.4L TSI
1.8L TSI
2.0L TSI
2.0L TDI (diesel)

Platform transmissions (USA):
6 Spd Manual
6 Spd DSG (Auto)
7 Spd DSG ( Auto)

Production (USA):
2015 - 2021 Golf 310,000+
2015 - 2021 Jetta 703,000+
Total 1,013,000+
[2015 - 2021 Golf (Europe) 2,263,000+]

Reactions: GAB

Jason d

I guess in my mind V1 and V2 have some sevenesque roots - "Simplify, then add lightness".
AWD does neither of those.
I don’t think ideas are silly, since these kit cars came from one as well.
if I wanted simple and lightness then I’d put wheels on a paper plane. lol

Last edited:

Justinreed7

I like anything that goes fast
As a racer at heart, the GTI donor is amazing. DSG trans is king over a H pattern manual any day.

As for an alternate donor; I think the only way to satisfy the mass audience is to produce a roller that can brake, steer and has working suspension with a universal mounting kit for whatever the customer thinks is a suitable fit. There’s always going to be a crowd that’s never happy, this option will appease that the best I think. The number of times I’ve heard “should’ve used a K series” is too many to count. Produce a universal kit and let the people go crazy. You’d see lots of crazy setups happening.

Monty23

I also think the GTI is an excellent choice for a donor and I prefer that the engine bay "could" accommodate many of the common engine/trans swaps with confirmation from DF. However, the downside is that the overall vehicle will be bigger and heavier to ensure the largest possible powertrain will fit (assuming we are talking about fitting an I6 or V8).

Monty23

Why would you think that’s silly? An awd setup would be sick
This is getting off-topic, but I completely agree and would prefer an AWD setup. However, the common and abundant AWD vehicles are front-engine. You can't just mount the powertrain 180 degrees and spin the wheels backward. DF would have to come up with a front-engine concept to use the available AWD drivetrains.

Jason d

This is getting off-topic, but I completely agree and would prefer an AWD setup. However, the common and abundant AWD vehicles are front-engine. You can't just mount the powertrain 180 degrees and spin the wheels backward. DF would have to come up with a front-engine concept to use the available AWD drivetrains.
Awd would be sick but last thing you need is a drive shaft coming through the floor if it breaks lol

LLBenJ

Are you going to build a Goblin V2? Did you get your pre-order in for one yet? Your responses and remarks continue to be highly negative toward everything about the Goblin. Ever think that your 'horrifying experience ' with your current Goblin is the reason why the Doyle's decided to make the Goblin V2 less 'challenging' to build because of the negative feedback from some builders? But in doing so the upfront cost of getting into the Goblin goes up - and with apparent source of viable Cobalts going down another popular platform had to be chosen.

VW was an excellent business choice because it can open up the Goblin to other markets, like Europe, Asia. There are lots of GTIs (and Golf's and Jettas) available in the US to build a TC, NA or even a diesel Goblin with the VW driveline choices. And there is also a large aftermarket for the VW. So sorry that your choice of donor for the Goblin V2 is not to your preference. But let us know when you have your pre-order in for one so the forum can again enjoy your negativity.
DS. My comments here aren't intended to be negative. If you're computing them that way I'd suggest there is a little unconscious bias going on based on my earlier posts on the forum. My car is also complete, registered, insured and on the road. A mobile billboard for DF's products. Where are you at?

I'm a big fan of direct, accurate, hard hitting feedback with a hint of constructive criticism. This is what makes good companies great. If I didn't care...I would be posting my feedback here. DF has requested feedback from it's customers and that's what I, and the rest of us, will continue to do. Many here have provided similar feedback to DF in this thread and I'm glad they are absorbing it. They will never make everyone happy, and that shouldn't be the goal, but turning a blind eye to the past is a great way to repeat it and reap the outcomes both good and bad.

I'm ecstatic the Doyles' are offering a new product and I wish them all the best in this endeavor. I hope their customers can continue to provide them feedback on their product for future improvement. Unguided positive posts, smiles, prayers, rainbows, unicorn farts...and hope...is not a strategy.

Last edited:

Lonny

Administrator
Staff member
Let's try to move forward and focus on the kit, not the comments. If you guys find 50 things wrong with Goblin V2, that means we designed 9,950 things right. LOL, The forum has toughened our skin over the years.

I hoped I would wake up to a flood of potential donors this morning; we all have our favorite engine/trans package.
It will be awesome to have two donor choices.

Even if they don't make the cut, it will be nice for you guys to way in with your favorite, so let's see them!

Ark :D

Goblin Guru
Well, I was daydreaming about building something on the Coyote platform a little while ago, but that isn't realistic, so.... carry on.

Gtstorey

Goblin Guru
I haven’t followed the Fwd platforms to know enough to know what is available with good power at low cost. But if talking front engine RWD, nothing beats LS for compactness, simplicity, and power potential.

Monty23

Make and model - VW Jetta/Rabbit/Passat with the 07K 5-cylinder engine
Year available - MK5 and MK6 - 2005-2014
[ BGP/BGQ/BPR/BPS: Volkswagen Jetta (2005–2007), Volkswagen New Beetle (2006–2011), Volkswagen Rabbit (Golf Mk5) (2006–2007).
CBT/CBU: Volkswagen Beetle (A5) (2012–2014), Volkswagen Golf Mk6 (2010–2014), Volkswagen Jetta (2008–2013), Volkswagen Passat (2012–2014) ]
Donors available for less than $3000
Turbocharged (yes/no) - No - but strong aftermarket with bolt-on turbo options including tuning.
Base HP - 150 or 170
Tuned HP on pump gas without internal mods - 350-400 WHP with a simple turbo kit
Auto trans option (yes/no) - Yes
Tuning and mod support (yes/no) - Yes - very plentiful

USA production numbers:

Comparison I did with the V1 powertrain:

Attachments

Last edited:

Ross

Goblin Guru
... Even if they don't make the cut, it will be nice for you guys to way in with your favorite, so let's see them!
I really like the DSG transmission, so your first pick would be a blast. For a second choice, my pick would be boring but I think it could be faster on a racetrack... EV drivetrain in a goblin, like Kevin did.