Bill's Street/Track Goblin - 2007 SS/SC - Chassis #204

ToxicBill

So, I'm getting the suspension and steering taken off my donor and found that the knuckle on the right side is broken between the strut tower bolts.

With the manual/SC kit, will it come with this part or should I plan on finding a replacement?

Probably explains why my wheel was so cambered.

Attachments

Ark :D

Goblin Guru
You'll need a knuckle. They aren't hard to find for your car. Make sure you get one from any car that is NOT a SS/TC. A knuckle from any LS, SS/NA, or SS/SC will work.

Ark :D

Goblin Guru
You should use this site to track one down, assuming you don't already have a means to find one in person: http://www.car-part.com/

Just be careful though, typically the salvage yards that sell parts on there don't know the idiocincracies of our lovely Cobalts. It's easy to come away with the wrong part for your make/model, if it's not a part that's shared across all Cobalt trims. You should be fine picking up a knuckle there, as long as it doesn't come from a 2008-2010 SS.

Lonny

Administrator
Staff member
If you go to a salvage yard, most of them will lead you out to where there Cobalts are. When they buy a salvage car they usually pull some of the engine and transmission and shelve them. They also pull the gas tank and set it in the back seat. If you can find a good one, bring or borrow a hammer and screwdriver so you can remove the pump retaining ring.

I haven't researched this but I think if it has the light gray plastic between the fuel ports and hoses it is the new style pump that is less prone to cracking. I think the light gray material is slightly flexible. The original barbs were molded as part of the pumps top and was too brittle.
Like I say I'm just guessing, so if someone has one of the pumps that has cracked post an image of this area so we can compare.

20200224_063733.jpg

ToxicBill

Quick update . . . I got the powertrain removed and most of the interior stripped. Going to be a few weeks before the next big update as I'll be focusing on family stuff.

Attachments

ToxicBill

Well, I was finally able to get back to working on stripping the donor, and boy have a made progress . . . so much so that the donor is not completely stripped! I've poured over that shell multiple times and the only thing I can imagine needs to come off are the rear disk brakes, but I believe those come with the Goblin kit.

Someone put me at ease and tell me whether or not I need the rear brake assembly.

Also confirmed that my fuel pump has the grey plastic as Lonny outlined.

I guess I need to put my order in for my Goblin :) That and put that big ol' pile of trash inside of it and get someone to haul it off.

After a little clean up . . . on to the wiring!

Attachments

JBINTX

Goblin Guru
You will want to keep the parking brake handle and cables if you need it to pass a safety inspection in your state. My state requires it.

ToxicBill

You will want to keep the parking brake handle and cables if you need it to pass a safety inspection in your state. My state requires it.
I was planning on ordering the parking brake kit with the Goblin . . . Since you and I share a state, I'll need clarity on the parking brake situation.

ToxicBill

Nevermind . . I see now. I was going to order the SS Parking brake kit and it says "You will need to keep the parking brake handle, aluminum cable guide tubes and parking brake cables from your SS donor".

Thanks JB

ToxicBill

Just got that taken care of. Holy crap, thank you guys so much for pointing that out. I would have hated finding out far too late that I needed that stuff after it was long gone.

Now, there really is nothing left on that car. :)

Rttoys

Goblin Guru
Yep all the same. And good call on the parking brake. Now time to get to ordering and cleaning parts.

ToxicBill

So, after a little bit of a break, I'm working on getting the engine cleaned up. From a grease/oil perspective, it looks pretty good though I do have some concerns on the back side of the valve cover and, maybe, the little cover on the side of the engine for the water pump. Other than popping that off to replace those gaskets (and maybe paint it), I think I'm OK. Here are a few pictures of the engine break down do far. Anyone see anything of concern? Any reason I'd need to tear it apart further?

Otherwise, I'm still trying to get the donor car out of the garage and still need to clean the other parts then work on the wiring harness. Oh yeah . . . most importantly, I need to order the **** Goblin!

Attachments

ToxicBill

Well . . . i decided to go back into the garage for some more action. Got the transmission pulled apart from the engine.

The only thing I saw was the sleeve of the throw-out bearing is in poor shape. Might need to go ahead and replace that.

Attachments