Sneak Peek - Goblin V2

Ghostknife

Goblin Guru
Well you’ll just have to watch my build to find out how the 07k does in this chassis ;) . I’ll be purchasing this new v2 as soon as it’s released for purchase. And the stock me7 ecu has plenty of reflash options if you want to keep it cheap and use a stock ecu and harness, including with a turbo.
I have no doubt you can do it, and a one off is very feasible, but in mass production it doesn’t make sense from a performance standpoint. I am pumped to watch your build. May inspire me to work on my wagon past the stage 2 NA build

OptimizePrime

Goblin Guru
@Lonny I don't know if it's been mentioned already but a Hyabusa engine would be incredible in these.

All the HP and high RPMs to make anyone happy, lightweight, parts / community support from more than enough vendors, price is right, electronic shift a possibility. No donor, just engine/transmission/ecu and figure out wiring through a standalone or kit = muchhhh cheaper and less fuss.

I do think this would make the Goblin a 'motorcycle' though which could be more difficult to go through registration / insure (or easier? I dunno)

Last edited:

Gtstorey

Goblin Guru
I don’t think most states are going to classify the car differently because of the motor source, and definitely wouldn’t call it a motorcycle. It would make things easier a lot of places if it could be classified a motorcycle since that gets you out of a lot of the safety equipment concerns, such as windshield,

LLBenJ

@Lonny I don't know if it's been mentioned already but a Hyabusa engine would be incredible in these.

All the HP and high RPMs to make anyone happy, lightweight, parts / community support from more than enough vendors, price is right, electronic shift a possibility. No donor, just engine/transmission/ecu and figure out wiring through a standalone or kit = muchhhh cheaper and less fuss.

I do think this would make the Goblin a 'motorcycle' though which could be more difficult to go through registration / insure (or easier? I dunno)
I like this idea. What's the service life like? (not that most of us drive our Goblin a lot). Land mines with that powertrain...got ya's? A street legal Radical SR1???

Sebnuts

I don’t think most states are going to classify the car differently because of the motor source, and definitely wouldn’t call it a motorcycle. It would make things easier a lot of places if it could be classified a motorcycle since that gets you out of a lot of the safety equipment concerns, such as windshield,
Agree. The Polaris slingshot is classified as a motor cycle in Missouri, and probably the same in other states? Not because it has an ecotec car engine, but because it only has 3 wheels.

devianteng

V2 is a new era of DF, and I think it's great to see the evolution. I'm completely new to VW vehicles, but it's intriguing to read about the DSG, and also the idea of a TDI Goblin.

As far as a second donor, I think something Volvo B42/B52 would be awesome (especially the B5254), but I have no idea the donor availability on that. The B52 transversed mounted might be too wide for the Goblin frame, though so might mean only the Volvo turbo 4's. That's really the only other "modern turner engine" that's not a V6 or larger, that comes to mind and not already mentioned. Maybe a Honda J35? Those are plentiful out there.

Kyle

Take my money!

I'm looking forward to price, weight/weight distribution, and acceleration/handling numbers (I suspect that detail is quite a ways out.)

I recently purchased a Rivian and now my Goblin is feeling a bit sluggish in comparison. I think V2 is the solution to put the ICE powerplant back in top!

Sebnuts

I'm looking forward to price, weight/weight distribution, and acceleration/handling numbers (I suspect that detail is quite a ways out.)
I would imagine weight distribution and acceleration are going to be pretty similar to the V1 with an LNF. Handling should be improved - I'd like to see the numbers on it as well but they may not get published.

ah.b.normal

Goblin Guru
I know there is a Bolt in the DF family. Maybe Brenda will let Lonny take it apart to see if it can work. ;)
That's a little of how all this started. When you have one lying around you get familiar with it and soon ya start fiddling with it and before you know it you've modified it! It's all downhill from there.

ah.b.normal

Goblin Guru
There are 2 Bolts in the family, Adam also has one. And no I will not be letting Lonny take it apart, lol
He doesn't have to take it apart, he just needs to get familiar with it! (Hide your keys.)
Two in the family? That means Adam's can be fiddled with and yours used as a reassembly guide! It is always handy to have several copies of the donor handy, especially having one that is still functioning.

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
The difference may be only the transmission mount(s), the engine mount(s) will be the same. If you can't wait for the manual transmission option, fab up adapters/mounts and be the first kid on the block with the 3 pedal V2! :D